Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken thier 2006 Prius up to the snow country? Is it doable? Does the Prius hug the road in icy conditions? I know if it is snowing I will need chaines..and I will avoid pulling up on an icey bank..But...Are my snow days limited? Expienced please reply. thnks javascript:emoticon('8)')

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Bad: Traction control can make it hard to get going from a stop up a hill.
Bad: less than 5" ground clearance may get you stuck.
Bad: OEM tires lack grip.
Good: VSC may save your life.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I drove 150 miles last Thursday, starting in 2-3 inches of unplowed snow and more coming down fast, progressing to freezing rain as I headed south. I LOVE my VSC! I've never felt so safe and stable on snowy roads.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Again a post however, with no location mentioned. The Prius can handle just about any snowy condition that a standard sedan can. However if you live in a mountaneous area where the law prescribes chains to use certain roads in certain conditions (Donner Pass) in lieu of four wheel drive, they do make chains that will fit.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
I drove 150 miles last Thursday, starting in 2-3 inches of unplowed snow and more coming down fast, progressing to freezing rain as I headed south. I LOVE my VSC! I've never felt so safe and stable on snowy roads.
You didn't move far enough south, Hepdeer. 2-3 inches of snow and more coming down, along with freezing rain? BLUCK!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Snow

I live in Minnesota.

This is my first year driving my 2005 in snow.

I can report no problem with ice , snow, water etc. ( i bought
Hydroedges to be sure), the tractin control works great. Very stable
drive.

Tom

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had no problems with driving in snow here in "Lake Effect" country. We usually get about 150 inches of snow per season. This season has been a little unusual, but I attribute that to the "new snow tire" effect. Kind of like the "new snow blower" effect in which you get something new to combat the snow and you don't really get to use it. I've driven in a foot of snow before with no problems. I took my time of course, and the 59% of the Prius weight in the front helped out a lot too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.