Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering installing the Coastal EV switch in my new 2005 Prius and was wondering how far I could be expected to drive in EV only mode? I make daily trips to the local gym approximately 2 miles each way (on residential streets where I can never go over 35mph) and if I can get there and back in EV only it would be totally worth it for the investment, esp. with gasoline prices pushing beyond $2.50 a gallon in my area and expected to keep rising through summer.

Should I do it?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
paul16451 said:
I'm considering installing the Coastal EV switch in my new 2005 Prius and was wondering how far I could be expected to drive in EV only mode? I make daily trips to the local gym approximately 2 miles each way (on residential streets where I can never go over 35mph) and if I can get there and back in EV only it would be totally worth it for the investment, esp. with gasoline prices pushing beyond $2.50 a gallon in my area and expected to keep rising through summer.

Should I do it?
You would have to run the engine eventually in order to recharge the battery.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sanny said:
You would have to run the engine eventually in order to recharge the battery.

Just an observation.
Obviously, yes. I also have a 15 mile commute to work every day, so the gasoline engine will get some exercise as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I start the car, the EV mode cannot be turned on for several minutes. Once the car's been warmed up, the EV mode can be used for like for 2-3 kilometers. I use it when I enter my residential area after coming from work. It is a 40km/h zone, so I drive at exactly that speed using only EV mode.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2004 , and have installed the EV mode from costal Dave , easy install.
as soon as I hit the power butten I can activate the EV mode,
I can go about 2-3 miles (checked ) before the ICE will come on, as long as I don't goose it or travel faster than 34 MPH :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Paul,
Get the EV mode from Coastal Tech. It is very nice to have but not for the reasons that you said that you wanted it. I like it for several reasons, I use it to move in and out of the garage, for making stealthy exits and entrances. I use it to keep the ICE from starting when I don’t want it to.
Keep in mind that with the exception of the power you recover when going downhill or slowing down, all of the battery power is coming from the ICE. So, you are not really saving any fuel by driving to the gym in EV mode. It’s been my experience that you are not going to make a 4 mile roundtrip in EV mode.
If it were possible to plug-in and recharge at the gym and then again at home, this would be a good way to go. But, the Toyota people didn’t leave that option available.
Dontcheff, from Finland said that the ICE has to run for several minutes before the EV Mode will work. That has been my experience only during cold weather operations. I think that Dontcheff is a new owner and will see that when the weather warms up in Finland he can use the EV Mode at startup.
Is a bicycle an option for you?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bicycle might be an option for me but not for my wife who accompanies me to workouts; she has bad knees.

Actually, I overestimated the distance to the gym, I turned on the odometer trip and it only comes out to 0.7 miles one way. So it looks like I'll be getting the EV option after all. Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
154 Posts
RJMusser said:
Dontcheff, from Finland said that the ICE has to run for several minutes before the EV Mode will work. That has been my experience only during cold weather operations. I think that Dontcheff is a new owner and will see that when the weather warms up in Finland he can use the EV Mode at startup.
Is a bicycle an option for you?
Yes, I am a new owner: I've had the Prius for just 3 weeks. I also though that it is due to the cold weather.

·
Registered
45 Posts
paul16451 said:
. . .if I can get there and back in EV only it would be totally worth it for the investment, esp. with gasoline prices pushing beyond $2.50 a gallon in my area and expected to keep rising through summer.

Should I do it?
Do it if you like. I did; it's fun to be able to drive in parking garages or on neighborhood streets on EV only. But heavy use of EV mode will decrease, rather than increase, your MPG average, since the discharge/recharge cycle and the motors are not 100% efficient. In other words, to drive on a given road might require 3kW of engine power directly, or 4 kW of engine power once you take into account the inefficiencies of generating the power, charging the batteries, discharging the batteries and then sending that power back to the wheels.

The problem is that all power has to come from the ICE eventually. If you could externally recharge the battery, then EV mode would be a great fuel saver, but you can't (at least, not right now.)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"to drive on a given road might require 3kW of engine power directly, or 4 kW of engine power once you take into account the inefficiencies of generating the power, charging the batteries, discharging the batteries and then sending that power back to the wheels. "

It has been suggested that the ICE/charge/discharge/invert/motor drive cycle is only about 30% efficient. If that is correct, the comparison would be 3kW direct, 10kW through the EV cycle, which isn't efficient at all. THe only gas saver would be if yu has a downhill stretch at the right time, or if youwould be runnign the ICE anyway (maybe). It's for convenience, stealth, and fun, not MPG.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
dontcheff said:
When I start the car, the EV mode cannot be turned on for several minutes. Once the car's been warmed up, the EV mode can be used for like for 2-3 kilometers. I use it when I enter my residential area after coming from work. It is a 40km/h zone, so I drive at exactly that speed using only EV mode.
You can activate EV mode between the time you push power and the time the ICE starts... after that you have to wait until it stops on it's own...

Useful for moving the car to get at the lawnmower and such.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
dontcheff said:
You can activate EV mode between the time you push power and the time the ICE starts... after that you have to wait until it stops on it's own...

Of course the lawn mower pollutes more in 30 minutes than your car does in 500 miles, but that's another story. :?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hep said:
Of course the lawn mower pollutes more in 30 minutes than your car does in 500 miles, but that's another story. :?
only if you start it up

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:
only if you start it up
Ah, yours is THAT house!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
True, ICE has to charge the battery, but if he can defer the warmup efficiency to only one trip, AND charge the battery DURING that warmup, overall I think he will save.

I think Ken suggested letting the engine run that one warmup minute before starting out. I have done that and it does seem to be a bit more efficient. It will do stealth on its own more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
melgish said:
dontcheff said:

I read that in the manuals. However, the ICE starts as soon as I hit the power button :)) I am not that fast :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
This might be completely heretical, but I often wished I had a FORCE ICE toggle. A sort of anti-EV button.

Our supermarket is juuust close enough to get to using only EV power IF I start the trip with the battery close to full. Given that, the ICE has to come on at least one direction or the other, so it would be nice to be able to force the ICE to "top off" the battery (yeah, I know, it's not technically "topped off"...) on the way out so that I can be assured of EV'ing it back home. Without this ability, the ICE often comes on in both directions.

Given the short overall duration of the trip, this seems like a waste, and a "Force ICE" control would eliminate one unnecessary warmup cycle.

I know, I'm over-engineering. Or mebbe it's a dumb idea for reasons I'm not seeing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thomme said:
This might be completely heretical, but I often wished I had a FORCE ICE toggle. A sort of anti-EV button.

Our supermarket is juuust close enough to get to using only EV power IF I start the trip with the battery close to full.
What's the distance to the supermarket, just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thomme said:

Our supermarket is juuust close enough to get to using only EV power IF I start the trip with the battery close to full. Given that, the ICE has to come on at least one direction or the other, so it would be nice to be able to force the ICE to "top off" the battery (yeah, I know, it's not technically "topped off"...) on the way out so that I can be assured of EV'ing it back home. Without this ability, the ICE often comes on in both directions.

Given the short overall duration of the trip, this seems like a waste, and a "Force ICE" control would eliminate one unnecessary warmup cycle.

I know, I'm over-engineering. Or mebbe it's a dumb idea for reasons I'm not seeing. Just a thought.
Unless you spend a particularly long time in the supermarket the ICE and Cat will still be pretty warm and the second 'warm up' time should be very brief.

I see what you mean though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts