Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it safe to drive a brand new 2004 prius 3000K miles, the first week of owning. Is there a break in period for this car, or is it good to go?

thanks for any insights....

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Break-in period

Like with any car, there is a break-in period.

quoting the 2004 Prius' Owner's Manual, page 202:

Break-In Period

Drive Gently and Avoid High Speeds

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:

* Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
* Avoid racing the hybrid engine.
* Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear some noise after stopping the engine

I am driving a 2004 prius for the past two weeks. Its a brand new car. 2500 miles in two weeks. Now I always hear a sound after I stop my car. What could be the cause? Is it bad to drive too many miles in two weeks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Though it's not a good idea to drive it hard for the first 1000 or so miles, I don't know of any reason why a lot of use would be harmful. It seems to me that it would actually be a bit easier on the engine since it wouldn't experience as much thermal cycling during break in.

I've not heard the sounds of a 2004, so I can't help with that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: I hear some noise after stopping the engine

Vemuru said:
... Now I always hear a sound after I stop my car...
What kind of a sound? Is it a kind of whirring sound? When you shut off the Prius it pumps 1.5 liters of hot coolant into a super-insulated thermos bottle. Then when you start it again (even days later) it has some hot coolant to help get the valves (?) hot right away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is that right then i think that might be the sound I am hearing. How do you guys know about these things?

Thanks

Vemuru

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the Prius exactly one month back. Logged 4250 miles in 30 days. Working fine. I am now seeing the first two bars of the fuel display falling rapidly, earlier it use to drop after 170 miles. I am getting an average consumption of about 44 M/G versus 47 M/G. Any thoughts? When should I take it to service?

Thanks

Vemuru

·
Registered
397 Posts
Vemuru said:
I bought the Prius exactly one month back. Logged 4250 miles in 30 days. Working fine. I am now seeing the first two bars of the fuel display falling rapidly, earlier it use to drop after 170 miles. I am getting an average consumption of about 44 M/G versus 47 M/G. Any thoughts? When should I take it to service?

Thanks

Vemuru
I don't pay much attention to the fluctuations in the way the fuel gauge reads. When the low fuel indicator comes on I simply fill the tank, even though it rarely accepts more than 7 or 8 gallons. As for your 44 MPG, that's in line with what most folks are getting--aside from those lucky enough to live in perpetually warm climes. Hopefully all of us will see increased mileage come summer. I took my car in for its first oil change and basic service at 3500 miles. Wasn't absolutely necessary, but I just thought it seemed like a nice number. After 4000+ miles in 30 days, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get an oil change. From what you've written so far it seems that your car is working fine.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Vemuru said:
4250 miles ... When should I take it to service?

Thanks

Vemuru
As stated in your 2004 Prius Passport to Performance Scheduled Maintenance guide, the service interval is either every 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first. Sounds like you are coming due...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts