Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bf went back up north for the week (left Monday) for work and I had him take my car (the Prius :D) so we could drive it back when I fly up today.. and so I've been driving his BMW all week.. cool, right? Oh brother. So for most of the week I've been driving to my parents house and having my sister drive our heinous commute to LA. But on Tuesday I had to drive in myself as the dog needed to be dropped off at the vet and picked up early--and almost a half tank of gas later.. OMG shoot me. It's a 15 gallon tank, the commute was maybe 38 miles there and back? So I guess in bad traffic he gets like 15mpg (what the computer said) which was traffic all the way to LA.. and on the way back (not so bad, but still trafficky) was getting about 20-22mpg. I feel like I've barely driven the vehicle around and today its below 1/4 of a tank.. makes me appreciate the fact that my Prius is getting 48mpg and makes me feel a LOT better for having it (okay, so 48mpg is not the best a Prius can get.. but STILL MUCH better than 22mpg..). *hugs Prius' car tire* (what? they don't have legs..)

·
Registered
145 Posts
It was quite a ramble. :p

I only get ~21-23 mpg w/my Z so yeah, I do appreciate the FE of the Prius.

When I lived in WA state and had lots of very short drives and lots of idling, I'd sometimes get into the 16 and 17 mpg territory on my Z and Maxima. I've never done better than 28 or 29 mpg on my Max (27+ was amazing to me and only achievable w/virtually ALL highway driving).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
Taking the price of fuel right out of the picture, would you get more pleasure driving the Prius, Beemer or "Z?"
That's easy. I love my kids. I take great pleasure in polluting their Earth less. Don't you? Of course there are selfish people...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
At last visit to California, observed about three trillion of them and with the new emmission standards there really isn't that much of a gap any longer as long as you can get your state to make reliable tests.
Bigger problem for the gran-kids will be the economy and it can only get much worse with the purchase of foreign cars, ECT:
Plus you have a company making the low emmission hybrid that won't supply the demand! So, if you can't make an attempt there and can afford it why not drive somthing that puts a bigger smile on your face.
(AHH, that new Corvette)

·
Registered
101 Posts
hyperion said:
Taking the price of fuel right out of the picture, would you get more pleasure driving the Prius, Beemer or "Z?"
Over the years, I've owned a BMW 2002 and a Mazda RX-7 (not too different from the original 240Z), but, for environmental reasons, I sold a Subaru WRX wagon to buy the Prius. (The WRX was, by far, the best performing car I have ever owned.) I knew the Prius had the highest owner satisfaction in Consumer Reports and figured that was just because it made people feel good from the standpoint of environmental responsibility.

After two months of owning the Prius, I have to say that I really enjoy it, and it's not just because of the environmental issue. Yes, I do miss the rush of acceleration I could get from the WRX (when there was room to use it), but the Prius is just plain fun to drive. It's very quiet on and off the highway and it amazes my friends when we sit at a light with the engine off. The thrill of acceleration is replaced by the thrill of seeing mileage figures above 50 mpg. And right off the line, it is actually quite quick, with the high torque of an electric motor in place of turbo lag. I find the interior room and "tossability" of this light vehicle are also very enjoyable, as is the display. And while I sometimes miss shifting, the smooth acceleration uninterrupted by shift points is also very satisfying. (My only complaint is front seat leg room and thigh support for my 6"3" frame, but I use a seat cushion.)

The bottom line is that if I had the choice each day between driving to work in the Prius vs. the WRX, I'd pick the Prius. Admittedly, a twisty mountain road would be a different story. (If someone would be willing to occasionally loan me their WRX for a quick fix, please let me know.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
hyperion said:
I'm not a BMW fan, so I can't say too much there...

For me, the Z is GREAT on the twisties. The Prius wouldn't be. However, the ride of the Z is really harsh and the engine and road noise is pretty high. The non-Bose stereo in the Z is also terrible. The acceleration of the Z (not surprisingly) is leagues better than the Prius, so from the POV, the Z is far better.

On a long trip, I'd take the Prius hands down but I'd prefer my former 02 Maxima. It has the same engine as the Z (less hp though) but even though it's a little slower [drag raced both the Z and Max before], it "feels" more powerful because of its much lower engine noise and vibration (feels like engine isn't working as hard). The ride is also significantly smoother than the Prius. The handling of the Maxima totally sucks compared to the Z though (almost night and day difference), so twisties are no fun in that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hep said:
That's easy. I love my kids. I take great pleasure in polluting their Earth less. Don't you? Of course there are selfish people...
Well, a lot of BMWs are PZEV, and assuming I had a PZEV BMW, and gas wasn't an issue... well.. the BMW wins hands down.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You gotta realise, PZEV vehicles are limited in several states. We don't even get it up here in Canada nor does Europe or Asia or Australia get it.

Woe is us.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
Hep said:
Well, a lot of BMWs are PZEV, and assuming I had a PZEV BMW, and gas wasn't an issue... well.. the BMW wins hands down.
Beyond direct emissions while you're driving, there is impact in the amount of gas burned overall. That gas came from somewhere. Prius wins hands down.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Hep, I really feel sorry for you that obviously you have never experianced the actual "joy" of driving a BMW any long distances or even a V8 powered Buick convertible. I used to look forward to my once a week round trip from Boston to JFK airport. If you believe I would swap either one of these for a Prius to drive you are really mistaken and regardless of the enviramental argument both cars highly exceeded the bottom limits on my states exhaust annual inspection. The 325 BMW even got about 30 MPG at the 70 MPH trips.
Until You can persuade Toyota and Honda to make two million hybrids your argument just won't jell and if you are at all concerned about your grand kids future you had better start thinking of making the supreme sacrifice and seeking an American car to purchase.
I appreciate my Prius for what it is, as I did my first VW in 1952 (different, and a kick to drive for awhile) but I sure wouldn't want to have to rely upon it for my main means of transportation.
And although I used it (I'm not stupid) I highly resent the Government using U.S. taxpayers dollars to subsidize a Japanese automaker to eliminate American jobs, and there is not one darn thing I can do but protest to my own Congressmen. (especially as there is a waiting demand for the vehicles because of gas prices and a tax rebate is not necessary to sell the cars.) When I bought mine the salesman did not even know there was such a thing. "2004"
Oh! and I must remember to make a call for an appointment for my fourth recall.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
Hep, I really feel sorry for you that obviously you have never experianced the actual "joy" of driving a BMW any long distances or even a V8 powered Buick convertible.

Thank you for your sympathy. I lead a tragic life and nobody else seems to care.

hyperion said:
If you believe I would swap either one of these for a Prius to drive you are really mistaken
This doesn't surprise me in the least.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer driving my Prius.. no idea why, maybe I've just bonded with my daily 100 mile commutes. We just drove it from San Jose to Kings Canyon (yay, I went rafting this weekend).. and back down to LA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ChuckK said:
hyperion said:
Over the years, I've owned a BMW 2002 and a Mazda RX-7 (not too different from the original 240Z), but, for environmental reasons, I sold a Subaru WRX wagon to buy the Prius. (The WRX was, by far, the best performing car I have ever owned.) I knew the Prius had the highest owner satisfaction in Consumer Reports and figured that was just because it made people feel good from the standpoint of environmental responsibility.

After two months of owning the Prius, I have to say that I really enjoy it, and it's not just because of the environmental issue. Yes, I do miss the rush of acceleration I could get from the WRX (when there was room to use it), but the Prius is just plain fun to drive. It's very quiet on and off the highway and it amazes my friends when we sit at a light with the engine off. The thrill of acceleration is replaced by the thrill of seeing mileage figures above 50 mpg. And right off the line, it is actually quite quick, with the high torque of an electric motor in place of turbo lag. I find the interior room and "tossability" of this light vehicle are also very enjoyable, as is the display. And while I sometimes miss shifting, the smooth acceleration uninterrupted by shift points is also very satisfying. (My only complaint is front seat leg room and thigh support for my 6"3" frame, but I use a seat cushion.)

The bottom line is that if I had the choice each day between driving to work in the Prius vs. the WRX, I'd pick the Prius. Admittedly, a twisty mountain road would be a different story. (If someone would be willing to occasionally loan me their WRX for a quick fix, please let me know.)
ChuckK, I'm right there with you, I traded in my (paid off) WRX sedan for an '06 Prius...AND I take a canyon road everyday as part of my commute. I would echo your post word for word, the 'game' of revmatching and try to accel out of turns smoothly is replaced with different pedal play, yet just as fun.

My other car, is a Magnum ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.