Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with the driver's side power door lock. A couple of months ago, the lock started acting sluggish when the solenoid was activated. I figured it was the 12v battery starting to go bad (e.g., a weak or shorted cell causing low voltage or current, or both), although the other door locks worked normally. Then, last week the solenoid wouldn't lock the door. The lock mechanism clunks and tries to move, but it doesn't lock the door.

Over the weekend, I hooked up a jumper battery to see if the lock would work -- Same results. Lock mechanism seems to be OK, not binding or anything; so I think the solenoid has gotten weak.

Has anyone had any problems with the door locks, similar to the above?

2002 classic Prius -- 55,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I cannot say I have experienced such an event. Get it to the dealer and have it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. -- Unfortunately, I think this may not be covered under warranty, as the regular "bumper-to-bumper" warranty expired at 36,000 miles.

I think I may open the door panel and see if there is anything obvious wrong, like a broken or burned wire, etc.

Does anyone know if the door-lock solenoid is a standard Toyota part, or if it is some limited-production, custom part unique only to Prius?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you are hearing it click, then it can't be an electrical problem. It isn't a solonoid though. They have been using motors for those for years now. Usually the latch assembly comes in one piece and cannot normally be repaired.

if the dealer price is too high, perhaps you can find one in salvage?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts