Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car will begin beeping and locking/unlocking doors as I approach. I need to use the physical key to get in and the car won’t start. Later, it will start. Obvious battery problem but battery is new and secure. I thought maybe there is a short somewhere, but no obvious sign of that. Maybe charging system doesn’t charge the battery completely?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You didn't say what year your Prius was but as a general rule, lead acid batteries (which your little 12V battery is) on average lasts about 5 or 6 years, and some even longer. Take the little 12V battery out and take it to an auto parts dealer and ask him to check it out under load conditions. If you don't know where it is, it is usually in the far back right side of the car. Under the backs cover that covers the spare tire. If it needs replacing and you don't want to convert your battery connections to larger posts, get your new battery at the Toyota dealer. If you want to try one from the auto parts store, before you do search on this forum for the instructions to modify your connectors to work with the bigger battery posts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't say what year your Prius was but as a general rule, lead acid batteries (which your little 12V battery is) on average lasts about 5 or 6 years, and some even longer. Take the little 12V battery out and take it to an auto parts dealer and ask him to check it out under load conditions. If you don't know where it is, it is usually in the far back right side of the car. Under the backs cover that covers the spare tire. If it needs replacing and you don't want to convert your battery connections to larger posts, get your new battery at the Toyota dealer. If you want to try one from the auto parts store, before you do search on this forum for the instructions to modify your connectors to work with the bigger battery posts.
Hi, thx for the reply. As I said, the battery is new, less than a week old and was replacing a <1 year old battery that was fine but swapped out in case it caused the issue. The car is a 2015 Prius 3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts