Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker, who also has a Prius, wanted to know how to set the automatic lock function. HUH? He said the dealer told him (and demostrated) that after you exit the car and walk away, the doors will automatically lock themselves. I cannot find anything about this and he cannot duplicate what the dealer did. Does this function really exist or did the dealer just play a trick on my friend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea...that's the way I lock mine. The way it was told to me was you do not have to use the buttons or the key fob...you just walk away!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Skip said:
Yea...that's the way I lock mine. The way it was told to me was you do not have to use the buttons or the key fob...you just walk away!
Not the worst piece of wrong information I have heard. But wrong none the less.

You would always be locking your passengers in the car if you walked away first, and then they trigger the alarm when they get out. Sound like fun?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine locks when I go away. No beeps when you open it then.
Found this out when I went out without fob and could not get in.
I don't know how long it takes before the doors are locked by the system.
Anyhow, I now just shut the door and go.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
hlreed said:
That's very interesting. Mine doesn't lock automatically, nor have I been able to find information about automatic locking.

If you use the fob to unlock the car, but don't open a door, the car will relock in xx seconds.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
okok, the "automatic door lock" function that the dealer speaks of is different from what your friend said. In other words, your friend might have misinterpreted what the dealer said. With the Prius' remote keyless entry (and in fact, with most other cars too), if you do not open any door for x seconds after unlocking it with the remote, the car will automatically re-lock the doors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
okok, the "automatic door lock" function that the dealer speaks of is different from what your friend said. In other words, your friend might have misinterpreted what the dealer said. With the Prius' remote keyless entry (and in fact, with most other cars too), if you do not open any door for x seconds after unlocking it with the remote, the car will automatically re-lock the doors.
AH HA!!!

This answers a question I had, yesterday after a quick trip, I get out of the car, took a few steps, BEEP and the doors locked :shock: then I check my pocket and decided my trusty Leatherman tool bumped the lock button. :oops: So, I just hit the unlock button to unlock the car, few seconds later, BEEP :shock: Now I'm wondering what's going on here and figured the car was going to have it its way regardless. Then after getting in and driving everything is back to normal. Just goes to show you, these forums do have answers to almost any question! :D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So that brings us back to how hlreed locks his car... (See post above.) My guess is that he is leaving his car unlocked and that's why it doesn't beep when he opens the door later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hlreed said:
I thought that if the fob is in the car, it will not lock.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always carry my fob in my pocket. I also locked the doors with the buttons or fob. I don't lock the car in the garage.
One day I left the fob in the house and went to the car in the garage for something and it was locked.
I thought that was how it was supposed to work.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The Prius will blink the parking lights as a visual answerback once when it locks, twice when it unlocks. You will hear an outside buzzer as an auditory answerback if you have SKS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
lindavid said:
I was going to keep a copy of the key under the car in a magnetic key holder just in case I ever locked the fob in the car, but in all my testing, I have been unable to lock the fob in the car no matter what I do. The darn car is so smart it knows when the fob is in or out.

I'm not sure I like driving a car that's smarter than me... :?

Jim

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
nh_jim said:
lindavid said:
I was going to keep a copy of the key under the car in a magnetic key holder just in case I ever locked the fob in the car, but in all my testing, I have been unable to lock the fob in the car no matter what I do. The darn car is so smart it knows when the fob is in or out.

I'm not sure I like driving a car that's smarter than me... :?

Jim
You can lock the fob in the car if you put it in the storage compartment over the spare tire. I threw mine in there and thought I could start the car, but it was not sensed there.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hep said:
You can lock the fob in the car if you put it in the storage compartment over the spare tire. I threw mine in there and thought I could start the car, but it was not sensed there.
I can't even imagine that happening accidentally.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:
I can't even imagine that happening accidentally.
It was discussed that some wanted to lock the fob in the car intentionally, and keep the mechanical key hidden some where while they were running.
Still, don't underestimate people's ability to do just about anything accidentally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts