Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park way out in the boonies at grocery stores, etc. to avoid the drivers who open their car doors like a Canada Goose taking off. I also apply magnetized door protectors when I have to park between cars.

Yesterday I was at Barnes and Noble. I parked and slapped on the protector passenger's side (the other side was against an island with bushes), having parked close because it was raining buckets. After I walked in the front door I stopped and realized I'd left the cell in the car. As I watched, a large woman pulled up beside my Prius in a Ford Explorer, threw open her door full open SO HARD IT KNOCKED THE MAGNETIC GUARD OFF THE DOOR. She fumbled with an umbrella and noticed the protector. SHE THEN KICKED IT UNDER MY CAR AFTER REALIZING SHE HAD WUMPED IT OFF MINE.

I met her halfway in and confronted her, saying politely that I had watched her wump my car. I told her that if she was lucky and the plastic she kicked under my car had worked, she would not have to pay for any bodywork. Her mouth fell open and she mumbled something about rain and umbrella and it was not her problem. Of course I was ready to call the police.

I checked my door and no marks were evident. The plastic guard had no marks. I also noticed that she had parked ALMOST ON THE WHITE LINE SEPARATING THE SPACES.

The $35 I paid for the guards is now justified. Yes they look goofy in parking lot, and yes they could be easily stolen, but hey... no ding!!!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Saruman, where did you get those guards?

While I was in Atlanta cowering in fear of mother nature, I watched out our hotel wiindow as a woman was unloading her car next to mine.

Her kid had his hand between the end of her door and my Prius, preventing contact between the two vehicles. I thought about yelling down to thanks, but didn't have the window open yet.

Later, we went down to the car and I noticed a 6 inch long verticle scratch at about the point where the door would have been. The kid must have seen the end of his mother's car door rubbing up and down against my Prius...

Or possibly his mother saw it and told him to keep it from getting worse but the damage was done.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, I want some. I got a ding in a parking lot a couple weeks ago. Please tell us!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Saruman wrote:"I park way out in the boonies at grocery stores, etc. to avoid the drivers who open their car doors like a Canada Goose taking off. I also apply magnetized door protectors when I have to park between cars."

I want those magnetized door protectors too! No matter how far over you park in your spot, someone will come and practically park in your lines right next to your door. It's Murphy's Law-- and a rotten one at that.

Give us the info on ordering those door protectors. Many thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Those look great. Are they long enough to cover most of the two doors on each side, or should I order 4 and line them up, 2 by 2? :D
Better than have Dent-Master come out!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm glad you caught that person - most door dings happen with the perpetrator never being punished or making proper restitution. Accidents happen, but taking responsibility for your actions is a problem our society as a whole seems to have.

Living in Houston - one of the most obese if not the most obese cities in America - I have the misfortune of having to pay hundreds of dollars a year to repair "ding" type damages caused by overweight people who have to open their door all-the-way just to start to get out. Of course they could care less about damage they cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back in the day when we had just gotten it, I scraped our new 2003 on the concrete retaining wall of our narrow driveway. Caught hell from the wife over that, but in almost 2 years since, we've been dinged countless times parking in the city and taken plenty of tar and stones on new roads in Newfoundland on our road trip to Labrador (Probably the first Prius in those parts, met another tourist waiting in line for the ferry who said his wife would'nt let him bring his). None of it bothers her anymore.

The first thing I'll do when we trade in our 2003 for the new 2019, is take the key to it (if they still come with a key ...) and get it over with. It is quite liberating not having to live in fear.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Door Dings

That looks great but at 25 inches long and the way people park, you'd almost need 4 for each side (front and rear fender and front and rear doors). I would use them religiosly at first but am afraid that after a while I'd get lazy and not use them. I think I'll hire 2, heavily armed guards and have them posted on each side of the car.

I've been driving her for 5 weeks now and she's still FLAWLESS. The first one is sure gonna hurt!!! I dread the day. :cry:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine did, :cry: VERY MUCH!!

I was at a Convention with Segway, so she sat out there from 9am to 10pm. And when I got to out there, I noticed it. I hit an all time low that night!! All the way home, I was about in tears. :cry: Even though it isn't that big at all. It isn't even a 1/2 inch little ding. She went for 5 months though. That was pretty good.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine went for about 2 weeks. BUT, I inflicted it myself which I think makes it better. My office has private parking. We are given a fob to get through the gate. After the gate opened, I started forward while I fumbled to hit the window up nob. Next thing I hear a scrape as my driver side rear view mirror scrapes accross the gaurd house!!! Very little damage considering the sound it made. After that, the next 3 dings were no big deal.

I like the idea of keying my next new car before I leave the dealer. Get it over with!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think four would cover the doors. You need two per side.

I try and always park with one side against a curb protected by a tree or shrubbery or some such.

Supermarkets and movie theatres are the worst by far... park way out and away from the front entrances... the laziest and most "in a hurry" folks always go for the close in spots.

G

·
0 Posts
Dingers

She's lucky it wasn't my car she dinged. If I saw that I'd say nothing and dent her car with my foot. People gotta learn to respect other people's property. I'd also leave a note on the door too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stories like these make you want to buy one of those cars with the plastic body panels. Plastic panels would also give you a few more MPG from the wieght advantage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The nerve.

Yeah, that sucks. Kudos to Toyota for adding that sneaker panel on the Rav. I think that will absorb many a shock. Only problem is that I have a Prius now. What shall I do. A Black one too, so any strip would not be good for it's appearance.

Why don't the carmakers come up with a solution to this?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
The only thing that concerned me was the possibility of theft. I only use mine when I can't find a parking place with acceptable room. I have a couple of "Decals" which were given to me with the Toyoto logo on them stating "Toyota Prius" "52MPG" which I have applied to the strips. Looks like an advertisement no one wants to steal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Matching Molding

I bought the matching molding for my 2004 Prius online from Dawn Enterprises. I think its plastic, not sure. I was originally going to order it from Dawn and have a local body shop install it. When I went to one body shop to price the installation, they said they would order it there for me and put it on for free! They ordered it and recently installed it. It looks beautiful. Dawn Enterprises painted it according to the paint number inside the door.
After it was installed the manager brought me out to look at it and said enjoy. I said well I have to go inside to pay for the part. He said don't worry about it - It's on me. And said just come back when you need some body work and tell your friends about us. I was so delighted.
So if you live on Long Island, NY They are Mid Island Collision on Lakeview Avenue in Rockville Centre - across from Mercedes and the touchless car wash.
Dawn Enterprises where they bought the molding: http://www.dawn-ent.com/index.html

Mary Lou

·
Registered
4 Posts
Matching Molding

I bought the matching molding for my 2004 Prius online from Dawn Enterprises. I think its plastic, not sure. I was originally going to order it from Dawn and have a local body shop install it. When I went to one body shop to price the installation, they said they would order it there for me and put it on for free! They ordered it and recently installed it. It looks beautiful. Dawn Enterprises painted it according to the paint number inside the door.
After it was installed the manager brought me out to look at it and said enjoy. I said well I have to go inside to pay for the part. He said don't worry about it - It's on me. And said just come back when you need some body work and tell your friends about us. I was so delighted.
So if you live on Long Island, NY They are Mid Island Collision on Lakeview Avenue in Rockville Centre - across from Mercedes and the touchless car wash.
Dawn Enterprises where they bought the molding: http://www.dawn-ent.com/index.html

Mary Lou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts