Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you fish, but no. Actually I find it much more relaxing to put the cruise control on 70, turn on XM and kick back.

I don't miss the road-rage of being up against the bumper of the guy in front of me, mentally demanding he go faster, one bit.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
fish_antlers said:
what about some more stomp? dont you wish you had a bit more "ooomph"?
Good question. No...my Prius has more off the curb accelleration than my Saturn did. Besides, I've only used that kind of acceleration twice since I've owned the car, and both times were to demonstrate that power to a passenger.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thomme said:
(Dooooon't feeeeed the trooooolllll...)
He's asking fair questions, so I'll go along with the game for a bit.

fish_antlers said:
what about just for fun?
*fast* is perceptual. If you've never been over 55 mph, then 70 mph is fast.

Despite living in Florida, I'm not a member of the drive fast, turn left crowd. There are thousands of other ways to have fun, if you just use a bit of imagination.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Don't I wish I could go faster?

No, 110 miles per hour is plenty for me. (Since I'd get thrown in jail for driving that fast anywhere in the U.S., anyway. Except on a racetrack, but people don't buy a Prius to race, do they? Just like they don't buy a Mercedes S-Class, or Ford Excursion to race them.)

More power? 0-60 in 10 seconds is plenty fast for real world driving. Again, if you're hitting 60 faster than that, you're racing. And with a lateral acceleration of 0.75g, you can out-corner most 'sporty' sedans.

If I wanted to have good acceleration 'just for fun', I'd buy a Miata, slap a V6 in it, and play with it on the racetrack. Oh, wait... I did do that.

I didn't buy a Prius 'just for fun'. I bought it for: 1. Utility, 2. Safety, 3. Environmental Responsibility, 4. Gadgetry, 5. 'Fun'.

Now, go bother people on other boards, you're just trying to be annoying. (If you have a SERIOUS question, feel free to ask; I will gladly answer it seriously.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Prius is a tool Fish. Not designed for burning rubber but the acceleration is like a 6 cylinder car. I love it. I go about 450 miles in total comfort and put nine gallons in the tank.

Since when are cars fast anyway? If I want speed I hop on my bike. It would cost me 200K to get that kind of performance from a car. As far as I'm concerned all street cars are slow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had trouble at first with the time it took to get out of the gates (aka stoplights), but then I got over it.

As for top speed, I've gotten my Prius close to 100 once but there simply just no reason whatsoever to have to go above 75 on the freeways of LA, so I don't really need any more than that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"what about some more stomp? dont you wish you had a bit more "ooomph"?"
It's a fair (but transparently loaded) question.
Nope.. REALLY.. don't miss anything like that. If I wanted pure performance I'd buy it. All that roaring around, posturing like a prize rooster, looking for admiriation from (whoever) seemed like fun then.
But.. We grew UP.. (not old )
In 18 months with the Prius I can't remember a situation where more "ooomph" would have made any difference.
Now.. cruisin around with my grandson in a sailplane (glider) watching little white clouds float by and birds circling in a thermal... that's fun.
It's also very quiet.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Durango turned out to be a real surprise for me.. as I stated when I firt joined this forum, I have owned dozens of vehicles, mostly because I enjoy driving and more specifically driving vehicles considered to be unique in one way or another. One of my favorites was my Audi 500CD Quattro Turbo.... the love affair ended when stuff started to go and the cost of parts was astronomical.

Another favorite (perhaps my all time favorite) was my Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. That turned out to be an excellent car, great on gas (that was a shock to me) , extremely fast and had amazing handling.

The Durango R/T has also been a surprise. It has a ton of power (although not as much by the seat of the pants as the Police Interceptor did), but the appointments inside are very nice. Leather interior is great, heated seats etc. Stereo is good. All in all the looks are pretty good, and we've had a very trouble free ownership. Not what I expected coming into it basically on a lark. On top of all of this it has demonstrated that it has no problem towing, hauling materials etc, and I even yarded a few trees out of my yard with it.

THe only real complaint about the Durango is that the ABS isn;t very good. The 05/06 revision of the Durango solved the problems with the ABS (I believe) but you had to buy the newer body style, which pretty much everyone I know (including myself) hates.

Any other car questions?

·
Registered
457 Posts
"The only real complaint about the Durango is that the ABS isn;t very good.."
I'd guess it didn't take you very long to find that out..
(drive slower...) :roll:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the ABS problems with the durango dont really have anything to do with speed. the ABS system on the durango engages itself with what I would call "non intuitive" timing, often triggered by uneven pavement surfaces etc.

Case in point would be approaching a stop sign at low speed traffic (ie: 15 mph) and if the pavement is rippled this will trigger the ABS for no apparent reason and make you stop "long"... very irritating and I'm not the only Durango owner who's noticed it. Newer version of the ABS is considerably better, albeit wrapped in a less please body package.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.