Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you can lock the fob in the car :oops:.

Had parked the car in a lot, and locked my wife's purse in the car in secret placel. Didn't realize her fob was in the purse.

The car would not lock with the SKS, kept beeping, so I uset my fob to lock it. It locked fine.

Came back later, and car would not unlock at either front door using SKS. Tried my fob and doors clicked but did not unlock. went around back to the Hatch and lo & behold, the SKS worked.

Then :oops: I realized that my wife's fob was in her purse in the car. Removed it, put it in her pocket, everything worked just like advertized :D , thought I was going to have to get it to the dealers.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
To be precise, you didn't lock your fob in the car... you locked someone else's that happend to share the same signal codes...

Try that when your wife has her fob far, far away, and you'll find it much more difficult.

Of course it's not impossible... You could always lock the car with the windows open a crack, then shove the fob into the car that way...

But that's a dumb thing to do

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think the logic of allowing the fob wirless remote feature to lock the car is that if you are using the wireless, you obviously have the fob in your hands, unless you are pressing the buttons using telekinesis.

·
Registered
425 Posts
melgish said:
To be precise, you didn't lock your fob in the car... you locked someone else's that happend to share the same signal codes...

Try that when your wife has her fob far, far away, and you'll find it much more difficult.

Of course it's not impossible... You could always lock the car with the windows open a crack, then shove the fob into the car that way...

But that's a dumb thing to do
Are you sure her fob wasnt for another car? maybe they are both for the same car. I have found dead spots where my fob doesnt work in my car as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both fobs are for the same car. The car actualy unlocked the first time by pushing the button on the fob. The second time it would not unlock at all until I went to hatchback, then it opened. Strange :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Key fob in the locked car

I have a greater-than-average talent for losing things. The near certainty that, one day, I will mislay my fob on, e.g., a weekend trip to some rural birding venue miles from a Prius dealer, spooked me. Against that likelihood I did this: I separated the manual key from the extra fob that came with 2004 Prius I acquired early last year and hid it, securely tethered with monofiliment, in a crevice under the front end. I removed the battery from the fob itself, Scotch-taped it to the fob and stashed the fob in one of the compartments in the center console. Now, if I find myself ten miles from East Anklestrap, two life birds to the good but sans keyfob, I can get into the car, reassemble the fob and be on my way. Ahhh; peace of mind!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts