Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your Prius tech know more than you? Now that I have the car that's what I'm most interested in. I stopped in to my dealership today and the guys in the service dept. activated my alarm at no charge. It took thirty minutes but I really don't blame them, it's not like they had any official documentation. Just my half a$#ed recollection of what I'd read somewhere. After twenty minutes I felt bad about wasting their time. I thanked them for their effort and offered to leave but they assured me it was no bother. I finally went into the service mgr's office and found the thread on priuschat about how to do it. Five minutes later my alarm was active. In my experience a good service dept. is the most important thing about a dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I agree. I can certainly give a thumbs up to the dealership in Lynchburg, VA. The 2 certified techs there both knew about the change in recommended tire pressure, and did 42/40 without being asked, and put it in the paperwork.

Free lunch with an oil change, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
GreyMud said:
The 2 certified techs there both knew about the change in recommended tire pressure, and did 42/40 without being asked, and put it in the paperwork.
What "recommended" change in tire pressure? Is this a change from the 38/36 tire pressure sticker on the door? Is this a TSB?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
firepa63 said:
GreyMud said:
The 2 certified techs there both knew about the change in recommended tire pressure, and did 42/40 without being asked, and put it in the paperwork.
What "recommended" change in tire pressure? Is this a change from the 38/36 tire pressure sticker on the door? Is this a TSB?
It's not an official Toyota thing, but many Prius owners find that increasing the tire pressure improves the ride and mpg. If you go to John's site (don't have it off hand), he has a whole section of his owners' manual that addresses tires and tire pressure.

I've not gone all the way up to the 40s, but I did increase to 38/36, and it did make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
Sanny said:
It's not an official Toyota thing, but many Prius owners find that increasing the tire pressure improves the ride and mpg. If you go to John's site (don't have it off hand), he has a whole section of his owners' manual that addresses tires and tire pressure.

I've not gone all the way up to the 40s, but I did increase to 38/36, and it did make a difference.
I have read the many posts about tire pressure and also run mine 2psi above recommended. GreyMud's post made me wonder if Toyota has made an official change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
I don't believe Toyota will. They did considerable testing I believe in the effort to increase gas milage and did put in about 6 psi more than their other mid-size cars. I think they made what they consider the maximum compromise with the milage issue and traction and handling. Anything else is what you imagine. If you want to stretch it over forty so be it. You will have to pay for it somewhere.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top