Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make sure if it was normal, but I noticed my interior ceiling feels likes it sagging or collapsing, when i press the center of the celing.. Does yours do the same when you press on the center of the ceiling or does it feel solid where it feels like the ceiling doesnt sag.. I think its probably the heat of the inside of the car that may have caused cause this.. If so, whatever glue or etc that holds up the ceiling must be crappy, but not sure if its me or the car yet..

Yeah, press the center of your ceiling of your 04 Prius and let me know how your ceiling.. If it turns out that my ceiling is faulty, do you think the dealer will fix it for FREE?? Ive only had the car for about like almost 3 months with 1800 miles..

Again, let me know.. Thanks in advance! :wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: Does Your 04 Prius Interior Ceiling Feel Sag or Collapsi

Yeah, press the center of your ceiling of your 04 Prius and let me know how your ceiling.. If it turns out that my ceiling is faulty, do you think the dealer will fix it for FREE?? Ive only had the car for about like almost 3 months with 1800 miles..
Does it on mine too. If I push up in the middle it goes up a good I would say at least 4 inches. I know because at one point I was considering a ceiling mounted DVD player (passed on the idea because I don't think the car's big enough to justify that TYPE of player) but when I was trying to get an idea I did notice that the fabric of the ceiling seems to droop. It is like that throughtout the entire roof though and looks like it could be intentional (doesn't look like some kind of poor material or something)

Just my thoughts, but yeah. Mine does it too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's the intentinal design. On most new cars, the ceilings are like that. 2002 Cadillac Deville has the same thing along with my fathers 2004 F350... It's just the false roof.... did you say dvd? in the prius? hmm.. not sure as a roof mount. With they had a mod to make the new prius capable of dvd. They have the equipment for the older priuses. all at http://coastaletech.com/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about your rear ceiling map light.. Does the framing of it seem to look warped? Yeah, let me know.. Wow, i cant believe it might be normal for these Prius's to have that soggy or sagging feeling of the ceiling. Do you think it should be like some kind of a recall for toyota 2004 Prius??

·
Registered
319 Posts
It is on mine too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you guys worried that in a short period of time that the interior ceiling and rear ceiling map light might look warped or awkward? What should we do about this.. Do you think it's wise to bring our cars back to the dealer and have them fix this issue?? :eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
mine too

My ceiling does the same thing. Never would have noticed it until you posted the comment about it. I assume it 's normal since it appears to be spread out over a range of production dates. Maybe the intent is to create an air pocket under the ceiling to help insulate the car.
Any other ideas? Don't think it merits going to the dealer until we've determined that it's normal. If it's not, then it should be repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey come on guys, unless you go back to the 40s or 50s all cars have a roof lining that you can push up. Geeezzz :shock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JPeterman said:
My ceiling does the same thing. I'm not worried about the rear overhead light at all.
How bad is your rear overhead light though? Does it look warped in anyway??

·
Registered
215 Posts
DVD's in a Prius (reply, and also a new post)

V8Cobrakid said:
did you say dvd? in the prius? hmm.. not sure as a roof mount.
UPDATE:

Still haven't had it done, but I went to a place in Signal Hill, CA that specializes in car audio and video and they recommended that the easiest and least interfering method of getting a dvd player in the prius is a roof mount which he assured me could definitely be done, although he recommended a player where the disc DRIVE is a seperate unit stored, say in the back or under a seat as opposed to the oves where the tray that takes the disc is part of the roof mount system. This reduces weight drastically, although it IS a little newer idea in car video. He quoted me $1000 for an 8" (although it seemed a LOT bigger than the 7" they had displayed also, I would say it MAY have been a 9" or 10") and that price included the labor and parts. Said it would probably take a couple hours.

There is also the option of a head rest screen for both front seats, although the chances of the fabric matching are slim (maybe color, but not texture or pattern) but they definitely make headrest screens that can FIT in the holes the current rests fit in. I was quoted about $1200 for parts and labor on this job.

If you want to change the interior as little as possible, Kenwood makes mounts that can be attached where the back door (sorry to be crude, but I've only heard them referred to as...) "bitch grips" are located. So those two pieces are removed, but you get a set of black powder coated bars that work as a screen mount. The bar also replaces the "grips" so you still get the benefit and he said he recommends anything up to 12"s on the mounts. The mounts are approx $120/ea. (THEY ARE KENWOOD... You're basically buying the name I think... He was unaware of any cheaper knockoffs) and the screens and install vary based on what you pick. Player may or may not be included in something like that... not sure if they make packages that have 2 screens and a player...

Completely non-permanent solution is a tension mount that attaches to the rods at the bottom of the head rests and it basically suspends the screen at head rest height between the front seats. I can't possibly see how that wouldn't interfere ENTIRELY with the rear view however... Roof mounted you may have reduced visibility of the top 20-30% but the suspended one seems like it would block nearly all of it... Still, it was recommended as an option.

Haven't had any work done yet as the money is currently on hold as I go to WA to start looking for a house. We were preapproved last night. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: Once I do however, I will update and provide pics!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts