Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a Prius very soon and have a couple of questions that I have not been able to find an answer for. The Prius I will be purchasing is a Touring model with option package #3 (HI). What I have not been able to find out is if the Prius doors lock automatically when placing the car in gear or when going over a certian MPH.

Also, I have not been able to find out if the Prius has automatic headlights. My wife's car has this feature and I love it. We never have to worry about turning the headlights on or off, the car takes care of it for us.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Prius does not have automatic door locks like you describe. Perhaps an aftermarket device can be added by an automotive electronics shop.

The Prius does have (as do all Toyotas) a system whereby if the headlights are on and you turn the car off and open the driver's door, the headlights will go out. Be careful, though. It's not what some people think of as "automatic headlights". They don't turn on at dusk and turn off with light. And under certain circumstances, if you don't do it the "correct" way, the lights will stay on.

Me, I've always left my Toyota headlights on and never touched the switch. When I open the driver's door, they go out. I've never had a problem with them. Others claim to have, so I disclaim that you may have a problem. But I don't know exactly what those other people have done to keep the headlights on, so there you have it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The headlights will stay on if you turn off the headlights off then back on, or if you power off and you don't exit from the driver door.

So, if you get in your car to take a nap, then decide it is a bit too warm so you put the power on to lower the windows then power off, the lights stay on.
If you need to get a CD that is in the player/changer, and you enter from the passenger door, power up to get the CD, power down, exit and lock the passenger door, the lights stay on.
If you power down and exit the car and close the driver door, then notice something in front of your car but can't make it out because it is too dark so you turn the lights off then on to see, the lights stay on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought the autolock kit from Coastal and love it, a breeze to install.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Only if the aftermarket kit actually causes another problem. The only problem you might have is that a problem could occur where it wouldn't be obvious whether or not the mod caused it. This isn't too likely and I don't recall anyone actually running into that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the autolock kit from Coastal and installed IAW their instructions and never got the [email protected]%& thing to work. Customer support from Coastal was next to non-existant.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had auto door locks on my last car and I wondered why I would want them. It always caused trouble when I had passengers who wanted to get out of the car while the doors were still locked and they could not figure out how to unlock their door (all cars being different).

It seems dangerous to have them. Suppose you are in an accident with the doors locked, which renders you unconciouse or otherwise imobilized. People on the scene and emergency persons will have have to spend time breaking the door open becaused they are locked, rather than just open the door.

I would rather drive with unlocked doors, and only lock them when the situation demands it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Then again, suppose you are at a stoplight and someone walks up to the car and opens the door. There is a safety issue there as well. In an accident that is sufficient to knock you out, there is a good likelihood the door wouldn't open anyway. Rescue professionals can break a window as fast as they can open a door. Non-rescue individuals really shouldn't be moving unconscious bodies except in the rarest of cases.

About people not being able to figure out how to unlock the door, the automatic locking feature frequently comes with an auto unlock feature as well. I always set it to lock/unlock when it goes in/out of park. I don't want my passengers opening the doors before I put the car in park. It works well for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both my wife's car a Buick LeSabre and my current truck (Dodge Dakota that will be traded for a Prius) have this feature. On the LeSabre the locks can be set to unlock when placed in Park or you have to unlock the doors yourself. For safety my wife prefers to unlock the doors herself. That way if she parks the car the doors remain locked until she is ready to get out. Keeps someone from running up and opening the door on her. My truck does not have these featurs and the doors can be opened from the inside without unlocking them first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sorry, where I live we don't have people running up and jumping in peoples cars, So I can not relate to this. If you live in a high crime area you should probably want automatic door locks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We don't live in a high crime area but we are in the city and sometimes even in good neighborhoods bad things happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am manufacturing an automatic door locking option that will lock the doors when you get in the car and power the car up with brake depressed. It will be available the week of 6/24. It is an easy install and is a plug-and-play device that takes about 20 min or less to install. If you are interested send me a message and I will keep you updated when I have them available.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The big thing here is the word "automatic." If you live in "one" of those areas you have indicated then you are cognizant of that fact and can get in the habit of locking the doors when you fasten your seat belts. Personally, the automatics drive me "nut's" and I brought my last new car that had them right back into the dealer where it took a service manager less than 5 minutes to permanently disable that function.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
chadster said:
I am manufacturing an automatic door locking option that will lock the doors when you get in the car and power the car up with brake depressed. It will be available the week of 6/24. It is an easy install and is a plug-and-play device that takes about 20 min or less to install. If you are interested send me a message and I will keep you updated when I have them available.
There are add-ons already out there for the Prius to lock the doors. They've been available for 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are add-ons already out there for the Prius to lock the doors. They've been available for 3 or 4 years.
The only automatic locking option I found was from coastal tech and it locks the doors as soon as the car surpasses 12mph. Mine locks as soon as you power the car up. The safety feature alone makes it worthwhile. Anyone interested can email me [email protected]

-Chad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re:

scmxyzzy said:
I'm sorry, where I live we don't have people running up and jumping in peoples cars, So I can not relate to this. If you live in a high crime area you should probably want automatic door locks.
In all the places you drive or might drive, there has never been, and never will be, a car-jacking. Interesting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[/my doors don't lock automatically it's a 2007 Toyota Prius I'm interested

1 - 20 of 20 Posts