Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a couple dealers but they couldn't tell me.

Some packages show "anti-theft system", is this a car alarm? If that's the case, does it mean the base car with no option package has no alarm? There must be such a thing as the base model with no optional package.

Also, one dealer told me I can't order the base model, package 0. The 2005 allocation for California only come with GY #1, BI #3, or BC #6.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes... on some packages.

Every 2004/2005 Prius has an engine immobilizer that prevents the engine from starting without the specific key/fob for that car. This is not an alarm. Nothing will sound if someone enters or tries to start the car. The "anti-theft" system will sound an alarm if someone opens the door of your locked Prius. If you add a glass break sensor, the alarm will also sound if a window is broken.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for clarifying. I actually just want a base model, but that's going to be difficult here in CA.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This for the present is a very hard car to steal, other than a flat bed truck and a very sophisticated and knowledgable staff to "part it out" You can not run this car with out the corroboration of the computer. You could replace the computer with a "friendly" computer to get it to run. At this point it is fairly safe. I suspect this will change, and some people will suffer before we hear about the first case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts