Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
No, Honda uses their own technology, the Honda IMA (Integrated Motor Assist).

Toyota has the THS (Toyota Hybrid System), the latest incarnation on the 2004 and newer is THS-II, also called HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive).

Toyota has *licensed* the THS to Ford, and I believe Nissan, but Honda has their own stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info--i suspected as much

it was hard for me to believe the salesperson--i remembered the insight and prius coming out at about the same time. the insight may have been first.
thanks for the info on the ford stuff--that may be where the guy got confused.
have you heard anything about when the batteries will be available for the prius, etc? that's the hold up or so i'm told.
greg

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
The Insight was first to the US (1999, for 2000 model year, IIRC). The Prius came to the US in 2000 (2001 model year), but it had been available in Japan since 1997 (for the 1998 model year). So I guess it's a question of being first where...

I don't quite understand your question about the Prius batteries. Rumor is that the manufacturer cannot provide them fast enough to keep up with demand, but the US Prius sales hasn't slumped at all (same, if not more, Prius coming into the states). Rumor has it that the Lexus RX400H and the hybrid Toyota Highlander release dates were pushed out to allow for more battery shipments for the Prius. But of course, the thing with the batteries is all just rumor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts