Toyota Prius Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The case manager called me back and said there was nothing Toyota could do to help with the repair cost. He said it was too far past the extended warranty, and even if we had bought the car new, they would not have been able to assist!

Now I'm back to investigating whether the shop that replaced the bearing and tie rod triggered the steering rack issue, and if we can report them to the better business bureau. The credit card company says they would need something in writing from an expert mechanic who inspected the vehicle and indeed believes the shop caused the damage to the steering rack.

The saga continues...I'm tempted not to pursue any legal action because for all I know the steering rack may have gone out on the next pothole. Also, I'm not sure if all the time of investigating would be worth it. It's tempting to accept that we'll never know the full truth, just bite the bullet and get it fixed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sorry to hear the outcome. If you have a trustworthy mechanic, you might want to search for a replacement steering rack on the internet or though the junk yard suppliers. I know there are a couple of Toyota dealers that sell at a discount on their Web sites. One is the Toyota dealer in Sparks, Nevada, that sells a lot of Tundra parts on another Toyota forum.

Plus, keep us informed on your progress. There are still a few classic Prius owners on this site that would be interested in how things turn out.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also looking for a really good Prius mechanic/shop in the Seattle area. 320,000+ on my 2010. Consumes oil (for a long time, per all the known problems with the 2010) and has now blown the head gasket (per all the known issues with the 2010). Need a shop to rebuild this engine. I've been having no luck finding a shop that would actually rebuild the Prius engine. Thanks in advance!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts