Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting a bit with blocking the grill and / or radiator to help winter performance and heat production. I have the ScanGage to monitor engine temps. I started with a radiator blocker made from a windshield sun shade. That was OK but it is difficult to adjust with temp changes. I then moved to putting pipe insulation cut in half in to the grill in front. Works and is adjustable but is ugly. I was driving down the road and saw a truck with the adjustable radiator blocker and had an idea.
So this is the question for those of you who have the front end mask or bra. How is it put on? I have looked at pictures but there is not enough detail for me to tell. How easy would it be to add with Velcro some black vinyl cloth over the grill areas to decrease flow? Any ideas?

·
Registered
344 Posts
it's installed with assorted types of metal and plastic hooks and snaps. the hooks go in places under the hood, next to the headlights, in the lower air intake, and wheel wells. the snaps are on screws that replace a couple screws that are in the wheel wells.

as far as adding some kind of cover for the grill, i could definitely see that being possible with strong enough velcro. i'd probably reinforce the velcro by sewing it to the bra in addition to sticking it on there.

hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am looking for something that works, is easily adjustable, and looks good. Our temperatures can vary widely around here, that is why I want something easily adjustable. You might also want to open things up when you are on a long freeway run. Around here that always means hills and at times mountains. The foam is OK but is ugly as sin. I am trying to see how feasible my idea is. As usual the pharmacist jumps in to bail the doc out! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts