Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my Prius now for just over 3 weeks and LOVE it. but I have noticed some things that could be helpful if they were added or improved ie: more adjustable seats, standard EV mode (I have a 2001). But my 2 biggest ideas are:

An intelegent "pulse and surge" cruise that you can set your max and minimum speeds and the cruise will automatically "pulse and surge" increasing your gas mileage.

Budget AC that only comes on when the engine is already needed so that the engine is not running soley for the AC.

I am very interested to hear any other ideas from those more experienced with the Prius.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: Does any one have any idea for new features for the Priu

iggy1iggy said:
Budget AC that only comes on when the engine is already needed so that the engine is not running soley for the AC.
I believe the (2004+) AC already works that way. No ICE unless the engine isn't warm or the battery drops low.

I'd really like my next Prius to be about 8 incles longer, for more luggage room...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
8 inches longer: Me too, so it properly fits a wheelchair in the hatch without having to fold down the little seat just for the handles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm hoping they come out with some more variations of the Hybrid system.
I like what Toyota is doing with some of their concept ideas like the
"Volta".
Four electric motors and a 3.5 L gas engine.

Pretty wild.

Dogtag

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
a pass-thru option. I had to fold down the seat just for an umbrella. If I had a pass-thru, I could've just slide it thru the armrest and keep the seats upright.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm hoping they come out with some more variations of the Hybrid system.
I like what Toyota is doing with some of their concept ideas like the
"Volta".
Four electric motors and a 3.5 L gas engine.

Pretty wild.

Dogtag
Yeah, but I've seen where it is gonna cost between $75,000 and $105,000. Looking to compete with the Viper?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
a pass-thru option. I had to fold down the seat just for an umbrella. If I had a pass-thru, I could've just slide it thru the armrest and keep the seats upright.
I like that. And a 'beep' sound when you back up. At my condo, where there are older, slightly deaf folks, they have stepped right behind me several time. Right out of my blind spot, as it were.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: A second "hard key" access for the hatch - another keyhole, in case the fob battery is discharged. Although it's possible to manually open the hatch, the process is difficult and convoluted. (pp 197 & 258 in the 2004 Owner's Manual)

Note: Fob battery replacement: pp 36-37 in the 2004 Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The Prius is now the only hybrid going for the really high fuel savings at a reasonable cost. I would like them to accept a little less "green house" effect by eliminating the function of the catalytic converter and coolant temp heatup. The ICE would rarely run then until car exceeded 35 mph except to recharge batteries. My guess,at least another 10% fuel savings.
I realize that this removes one "plus" for the car but heck, gas is over three dollars a gallon!

·
Registered
455 Posts
more comfy seats

laser cruise control

iPod connectivity

the EV switch availible elsewhere

a switch, either variable or with 3-5 settings that would take you from "super" economy to "extra performance" this would change when the gas engine came on, moving the points higher or lower based on what your preference was. Might eliminate the need for the EV switch.

The pass thrugh doesn't make sense to me on a car with fold down seats, especially split fold down seats. That had to be a BIG A#% umbrealla not to fit back there or in the back seat. My guess is the pass thru would make the center seat more uncomfortable and make the seat back more flexible, since as a hatch back there is no support at the top like a sedan or coupe. For the number of people that would use it, I don't think it makes sense.

Pulse and surge I don't know would make sense either. After all that is what we do when we try to maintian a constant speed ourselves, that is why we have cruise control. If we are trying to do 70, most of us hunt from 65-75 trying to maintain 70, and mileage suffers. By using the cruise it shortens that window, and increases gas mileage. It is more efficient to maintain speed than gain the speed. Even if that guess is wrong, it would be super annoying to drive down the road and go from one speed to another, I would guess it would also piss off other motorists a great deal. "Oh I just pased that prius, oh wait now he is passing me, oh why did he slow down, no I have to pass him again." If you had a 10MPH range, what would you set it for 5 mph under the limit? sometimes you would be going under the limit, sometimes 5 mph over. That would annoy the crap out of me. When I am on a long drive, I am usually, as I think most are, trying to go as fast as possible without getting a ticket.

TJ, there are companies that sell beeping light bulbs you can put in your reverse lights. When the lights get juice, car in reverse, light bulbs beep. Never used them my self, so I can't say how well they work, but if it is a concern of yours.

Chas, then you have another access point for theft, rust etc. How often does the fob battery wear down. Would the extra cost really be worth it when this happens so rarely? OUr fobs are over a year old and on the same battery. So it has to go bad, and then before I can get one, I have to "have" to get in the back. Is that going to be that common? Maybe an interior release like a lot of cars have, by the driver's seat/gas cap release. Would als allow you to pop it up for people getting in or out.

Hyperion, not sure what you are saying. I beleive you are talking about the Thermos holding warm coolant that forces it thru at boot up. As far as I am aware, and I haven't checked, this is done with electric power and therefore has a negligble effect on mileage. Except to the extent that that is less juice you have to run the car before you need the batteries recharged, but that has to be minor no? (2?) small electrical pump(s) for 30 seconds.

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
more comfy seats

laser cruise control

iPod connectivity

the EV switch availible elsewhere

a switch, either variable or with 3-5 settings that would take you from "super" economy to "extra performance" this would change when the gas engine came on, moving the points higher or lower based on what your preference was. Might eliminate the need for the EV switch.

The pass thrugh doesn't make sense to me on a car with fold down seats, especially split fold down seats. That had to be a BIG A#% umbrealla not to fit back there or in the back seat. My guess is the pass thru would make the center seat more uncomfortable and make the seat back more flexible, since as a hatch back there is no support at the top like a sedan or coupe. For the number of people that would use it, I don't think it makes sense.

Pulse and surge I don't know would make sense either. After all that is what we do when we try to maintian a constant speed ourselves, that is why we have cruise control. If we are trying to do 70, most of us hunt from 65-75 trying to maintain 70, and mileage suffers. By using the cruise it shortens that window, and increases gas mileage. It is more efficient to maintain speed than gain the speed. Even if that guess is wrong, it would be super annoying to drive down the road and go from one speed to another, I would guess it would also piss off other motorists a great deal. "Oh I just pased that prius, oh wait now he is passing me, oh why did he slow down, no I have to pass him again." If you had a 10MPH range, what would you set it for 5 mph under the limit? sometimes you would be going under the limit, sometimes 5 mph over. That would annoy the crap out of me. When I am on a long drive, I am usually, as I think most are, trying to go as fast as possible without getting a ticket.

TJ, there are companies that sell beeping light bulbs you can put in your reverse lights. When the lights get juice, car in reverse, light bulbs beep. Never used them my self, so I can't say how well they work, but if it is a concern of yours.

Chas, then you have another access point for theft, rust etc. How often does the fob battery wear down. Would the extra cost really be worth it when this happens so rarely? OUr fobs are over a year old and on the same battery. So it has to go bad, and then before I can get one, I have to "have" to get in the back. Is that going to be that common? Maybe an interior release like a lot of cars have, by the driver's seat/gas cap release. Would als allow you to pop it up for people getting in or out.

Hyperion, not sure what you are saying. I beleive you are talking about the Thermos holding warm coolant that forces it thru at boot up. As far as I am aware, and I haven't checked, this is done with electric power and therefore has a negligble effect on mileage. Except to the extent that that is less juice you have to run the car before you need the batteries recharged, but that has to be minor no? (2?) small electrical pump(s) for 30 seconds.

Spike

·
Registered
420 Posts
1. Since it's actually efficient to brake slowly with the Prius, a two-stage brake light would be a good safety feature - a little brighter when you use the brakes lightly, a lot brighter when you push hard.

2. A thermoelectric or photovoltaic panel on the dashboard to provide a little extra electricity. It would be worth a few bucks just to insure the 12-volt battery got fed; if there was a little extra for the big battery, so much the better.

3. A plug-in option, of course. But I don't expect this on the consumer Prius until 2010.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"And a 'beep' sound when you back up."

There are replacement clear bulbs that also have a beeper built in. They replace a backup lamp. Maybe they can hear those?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wish list:

1. Headlights controlled by an electric eye.

2. An ICE run indicator similar to that offered by Coastal Tech.

3. An odometer that only registered miles when the ICE is actually running.

4. A method of ordering a car similar to that used with the Classic. Order what you want, and not what a "package" offers. I have no use for a voice activated NAV, garage door opener, or bluetooth technology. (Incidentally I waited a full year for my 2002 and got little or no help from the dealer, but I did get exactly what I ordered,

5. Should I mention the ever popular guess gauge,

seedypea

·
Registered
25 Posts
First the no-brainers, easily done with existing technology:

Automatic headlights

User memory (radio, Nav, phone book, etc.) tied to key fob

Laser cruise control

Next generation feature:

Really, really cool would be an integration between the nav system and the internet. Live traffic updates could be computed into nav routes, Gas station POIs showing the price of gas, up to date POI listings, the possiblities are endless.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some sort of back-up warning device for the driver. The Prius doesn't have a whole lot of backwards viewing so I'd like something that would warn me there is something in my blind spot.

Maybe for the sides too, while riving down the road.

·
Registered
508 Posts
DVD-Audio or Super Audio CD 5.1.

The upgrade JBL system already has speakers in all the right spots, including front center. A decoder in the head unit that routes discrete 5.1 audio to the appropriate speakers shouldn't be too difficult.

I was in a co-worker's Acura RL that has DVD-Audio. Wowzers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts