Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I was just watching somehting on CNN about flexi-fuel and was wondering...do you think it could be possible to convert a Pruis to be flexi-fuel (gas or Ethanol ...E85) compatible?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
In a brief summary, yes. The ECM could be reprogrammed to account for the different fuel/air mixture of E85. However the long term effects on the fuel delivery components and engine seals are unknown.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have always believed that ethanol only makes senses as a very small component of the gasoline supply. I mean, how much corn would we need to grow to really make a dent in the oil supply?

·
Registered
591 Posts
More than could be grown, from the reports I've read. Even adding in ethanol from wood waste, agricultural waste, etc. etc. they've all said it couldn't replace all gasoline.

The fuel economy hit isn't that great BTW. Unless you're a "Prius MPG fanatic". ;)

Oh, whoops, I guess that includes almost everyone here. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why Ethanol

IMO, it's better to give money to our farmers than those other fellows. The fuel is lower energy but the cost per mile driven is lower. There is a whole lotta of uncultivated land that is being subsidised by the government to farmers. I would love to buy American and not from Chavez or the like. Brazil is a great example of what can be done.

There are two companies that sell flex fuel systems in the US one made in Brazil and one in the USA. It is a simple plug and play system. You plug the current injector wires into the box and plug the wires from the new box into the injectors. A simple sensor goes in the fuel line which tells the added computer box how to adjust the timing and width of the fuel injector pulse so the oxygen sensor output makes sense to the engine when runing the Ethanol mixture.

A treatment fluid is run thru the system to treat the seals and metallic components to use the Ethanol.

Then fill er up and away you go with any thing from all gas to all ethanol. Now to find a ehtanol station. E85 is probably what your will find. :)

PS go here for some enlighting info: http://www.ncga.com/ethanol/debunking/

·
Registered
45 Posts
The biggest problem with ethanol is that we (this country) make our ethanol with corn.

Corn sowed into the ground with diesel tractors and fertilized with petrochemicals...

Studies put the gallons of crude "saved" divided by the gallons of crude put into making ethanol slight positive to NEGATIVE savings!

Not very efficient! (or a total waste) While I respect farming, ethanol currently is just a political football. Not a good solution to our current problems.

Detroit (btw I am from Detroit) likes ethanol. If they sell a Suburban that is E85 compatible, for purposes of CAFE standards, it is assumed to run on E85. Which gives inflated MPG for figuring fleet averages!

·
Registered
582 Posts
EtOH

Prius rated to accept 10% ethanol in fuel. One person in the Yahoo technical group ran it on up to 25% with no DTCs, but the long-term effect of high concentrations on fuel system polymers remains an unknown.

What *is* that fuel tank bladder made from, anyway?

DAS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.