Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car into the dealer for the 5000 miler. It comes out with a little reminder sticker in the upper portion of the driver's windshield with a "Quaker State" logo. It says they used 5-30 weight, but not the formulation (dino or synthetic). Nothing on the invoice but the overall charge of $64.95.

Even more puzzeling is they say to bring it back at 8000 miles (!) and they are not following the 5000 mile interval per the owner's book, or 10K in my car? From that, I would say they are using the Quaker State High Performance blend - or not a synthetic - so they can get in more oil changes than what is specified. Price of the future 8000 miler was posted as being $29.95 verses the $64.95 at the 5000 miler. At least they did rotate the tires as they also let the air out and back down to 32 psi from the 40-41psi I normally run. Runs a bit smoother and quieter although mileage did drop a few.

I did see some PID item done in June BEFORE I bought the car (new 2005) from the same dealer for $124.95 (warranty I guess). They did post the brake pad linings as 10mm fornt and 5mm back, fwiw.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
As a general rule, unless you specify a specific oil type or weight, they will use whatever is least expensive for them. That seems to be a commonality amongst just about any lube shop, dealer or independent. And wouldn't you considering that the margins on oil changes are pretty good, but they could always be better.

Actually, you should be able to go the full 5k on dino oil without issue. Toyota puts in dino oil at the factory and their maintenance schedule is based upon using an acceptable dino oil at the proper weight. Plenty of drivers don't bother with the expense of synthetic oil because they don't see how much more useful that oil will be than regular oil if they are going to stick with the Toyota schedule. I do use synthetic, but I suppose that is more of an emotional reason than a logical one. Synthetic oil has some very good lubrication properties and for my sanity if I'm going to change out at a 5k schedule (which is basically still a foreign concept to me) I'm going to use oil that can easily do that routine.

Some dealers don't even bother to stock synthetic oil. They just stock the regular grade of oil in the weights they encounter every day and that is it. I have had to provide Mobil1 to every dealer I have had an oil change with because I prefer that product and many dealers don't stock synthetic. An honest dealer will remove the portion of the oil change bill that encompasses the oil itself because you provided oil.

As for the label in the window, very few dealers are operating by the book as far as oil change interval length. Just about all dealers are going by their number of the classic 3mo/3k mi number. It is a way of generating business. Also, be wary of any 15k, 30k 60k, 90k, 120k service that is offered as a package by the dealer. They are usually full of little "inspections" and lots of other services that the vehicle doesn't require at all because of its different engineering. When you car gets up there in mileage, refer to the book that came with the car and only have those services done. Don't let them do services that are above and beyond what is specified by Toyota. You will be wasting money having unnecessary work done to the vehicle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Toyota Carlsbad did not list the brand of oil but did list it as a 30 wt and are sticking to the 5000 mile timeline. I was charged $47.80 for tire rotation, oil change and they water wash the exterior for no charge. If you are that far south I would definitely recommend them for service.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Well, I may be that far south, but I am not that far west, so I'll have to go with someone else.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts