Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Becoming a Prius owner last June has since influenced me to change my driving habits on my other car, a '97 Subaru Outback. It's true that I may have been driving more conservatively anyway since gas prices have peaked in that time also. But I employ some of the drivng techniques (coasting up to red traffic lights, accelerating more slowly from the start, lowering my MPH to 62 on shorter highway runs, etc.) I use on the Prius. I've even tried Pulse and Glide :)

One of the keys here is the Consumption MFD, which undoubtably influences the way I drive. I think most drivers, no matter what vehicle they drive would pay a lot more attention to how they drive if they had one of these.

Come to think of it, a fuel consumption display or gauge should be as manditory in a vehicle as a fuel gauge. May be one of the best ways to conserve fuel!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
S'funny.... I drove my Mother's car a few weeks ago, and found myself feathering the gas pedal, and trying to pulse and glide. :) Dunno if it worked - her car is MFD challenged.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you drive

Sanny said:
S'funny.... I drove my Mother's car a few weeks ago, and found myself feathering the gas pedal, and trying to pulse and glide. :) Dunno if it worked - her car is MFD challenged.
What are the requirements for a driver's license in NJ?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Do you drive

GeneralTojo said:
What are the requirements for a driver's license in NJ?
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/cit_licenses/d_licenses.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sanny said:
LOL - Sanny, I do exactly the same thing when I drive my husband's Saturn. I keep waiting for it to go into EV mode. I also start slowing down earlier than I would have and coasting to a stop. I keep looking for the volume buttons on the steering wheel, too.

Susan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, now I drive the other car hardly at all. In the year since I got the Prius we've put only about 4,000 miles on our 2000 Chrysler 300M, and about 2,500 of those miles were on a trip to Colorado. The Prius is unbeatable for around town driving, but for long trips I still prefer the comfort of the Chrysler. If I live long enough to wear out the Chrysler, I'll certainly consider a hybrid Camry if they're selling them then.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Driving other vehicles

When I first got into my Sport Trac (which I am trying to sell) after driving my Prius for a couple months I thought I was driving a tank! So unresponsive, stiff and ungainly. I have sort of gotten used to it again but drive it very little. I did however notice that I did indeed drive the truck in the same manner as the car. I have gone a bit over 30 miles since it's fill-up and the gas has not gone down as much as it normally would. I am hoping to sell before I need to put more gas in it but it is striking enough to notice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I still get annoyed when I put my hand on my wife's '01 Beetle door handle and it doesn't automatically unlock for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh definitely. On the odd occassion I find myself behind the wheel of my wife's Rav4, she has to constantly remind me that I'm not driving the Prius, as I speed up to 35 MPH and go to set the cruise. (;

·
Registered
19 Posts
stangmatt66 said:
I feather the Prius and try to get the best mileage possible
I've noticed that I try to let the Acura MDX coast a lot more although with 50K+ miles on it, it doesn't change the MPG average for the all the miles we've put on it. I don't think my wife's driving changed since she drives the vehicle 99% of the time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I went to NY a couple of weeks ago and rented a car, I sat there punching the dash and wondering where Chevy had hidden the start button. The key was also on the front seat beside me. :oops:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I do drive my other car differently in a more Prius-like fashion. As such over quite a few tanks of gas I have seen a 3 or 4 mpg improvement. I'm very happy for that actually.

The Prius is more than just technology it is a mindset and practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts