Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON ANY DEALER WAITING LIST FOR PRIUS.

They will take your $1000 and they tell you come back in 6 months, and you will never get a car. Then if you like to cancel and get your money, they will tell you to wait for another 4 months.

I went to Torrance Toyota, gave them $1000, and they put me on the waiting list, then they told me I am number 75 on the list, they did not give me a number, any document to verify my position. Then I bought my PRIUS from another dealer and went and ask for my "Refundable check", They said they need the proof that the check has been cashed, so I went to my bank, got a copy of my check and went back and gave them, They said come back next week the check is ready, I went there no one knows who I am, there is no check, they said come back next week, so far I have no check and waiting.

I also went to Southbay Toyota and gave them $500 and they put my name on their black list, no information about what number I am, so I went back ask for my $500 back, then same old story, you need to wait for 21 days, bring a copy of your cashed check, wait for the owner signature, went back 5 times, and as of today no check.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS BULLSHIT AND DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LIST. There are many dealrs that do not have a list and it is based on first come first serve like Crown Toyota in Ontario.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Try contacting Toyota customer service. I bet they pressure the dealer to speed it up for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I ordered my car, the salesman wrote up a contract including the deposit. I asked him it the deposit was refundable. He said yes, and even wrote on the contract that the deposit was refundable. Get it in writing!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dealing with Dealers

Back in 2003 and 2004 the waiting lists were up to a year in Southern California and the cost of a Prius was $1,000 to $2,000 plus over msrp.

Asif, who works for ToyotaTown in Stockton, Ca. dominated Priusonline.com as the contact person to buy a Prius from. With one phone call to him (209-320-1870) he immediately put me on his waiting list and he even told me what number I was on that waiting list (I then sent him a check for $500 to hold my name on the list...it was never cashed, just held). I called him every few days and he gave me an update on how things were progressing.

Within a few weeks he phoned me to tell me my Prius had arrived. I flew to Stockton from Southern California (about an hour flight) where Asif picked me up from the airport, drove me to the dealership where I finished up the paperwork and drove my Prius home. No Hassles AND no cost over msrp!!

I'd highly recommend calling Asif. If you don't want to fly up to pick up your "baby" he'll even put it on a truck and have it delivered to your door. I think the cost is around $400 or so to Southern California from Stockton. The flight up was only around $80.00

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry to year about your experience! When Toyota of Colorado Springs decided they wanted an extra $3k after we'd waited five months for a Prius, at least they had the decency to refund our deposit the very next day (as soon as we said no).

·
Registered
19 Posts
We actually put our name on lists with 2 different dealers. We gave each a $500 check. Neither was cashed and were returned intact to us when we cancelled or purchased.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Order deposits no big deal !

I take at least 1~2 Prius orders on the phone every couple of days.
Especially now days that the Prius frenzy is ablaze across the nation.

Ask for a credit card number but _Never_ charge it till vehicle is in sight
for the intended customer.

Even that ordered vehicle is the exact match but will call customer(s) to verify
if still interested in buying and then will advise customer(s) that I'm going to
put the deposit through. In CA state, all deposit is _Fully refundable_
beside I do not even charge or cash it till waiting customer(s) are sure !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Deposit

I would not only contact Toyota's regional manager, but would report the dealership to the Better Business Bureau and your local Congressperson's office and demand that one of the staff members intercede on your behalf. I would also talk to your local news station, which probably has an ombundsman or staff member who does features on this sort of crooked business.

It may be possible that the salesperson is doing this to keep his or her numbers up, and that the owner or manager doesn't know anything about this, though I doubt it.

There was a recent TV feature about a Toyota dealership that was pulling a similar scam, making perople lease cars at a far greater cost than the purchase that they had intended to make, and then added unwanted and expensive insurance and other add-ons.

Sorry, but you have to be a "mental patient" and raise hell until the matter is fixed.

Richard

·
Registered
30 Posts
you know you people should move out of that state. it seems the more i read this board the more i know i would not live in calif if you paid me. if there is a state where you cant trust any business it seems to be calif. my dealer required a 1000 dollar deposit when he puts you on the list. the list is made up and posted in a public place in the dealer ship where you can check your status anytime the dealer ship is open. you can watch your name move up the list. you paid only window sticker price for your prius, and there are no add ons unless you want them. as the dealer says i want you as a customer and wants to service your car. a few i have know decided against buying the prius for whatever reason, and they dealer simply gave them they check back uncashed and thanked them and told them they are welcome bac k if they change their minds. it is so nice to live in the midwest where people are still honest and treat you like they want your business.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Logged an incedent with Toyota customer care for you.

For what it's worth, I emailed Toyota care about this thread. Thier automailer even spat back an incedent number "051005-000115".

I'd suggest you complain up the chain, giving reference to this thread at each step.

1st) Regional headquarters the dealership is under.
2nd) Better Buisness Bueru.
3rd) California State Attorney General (think they have forms for this).
4th) Toyota US headquarters.
5th) Toyota Tokyo headquarters.

If none of that works I'll make sure to avoid residency in California and patronship of Toyota dealerships in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honesty

In fairness, I don't believe that honest dealing is a function of a Zip Code. My experience was fortunately the opposite of that of the person who was given the runaround by the Toyota dealership he went to. Sooner or later, Toyota will get tired of bad publicity, which it, particularly as a Japanese corporation, does not care for, and will take away that dealer's franchise. I would be not at all surprised if Toyota has people monitoring sites such as this one.

Anyway, my transaction was seamless. I paid a $500 deposit, had ready and unlimited access to my salesperson, could find out where I stood on the waiting list at all times, and when a car came up at another dealership that called me, I jumped on it and received my deposit back from the original dealership without any problem whatsoever. Both dealerships were selling at sticker.

Others were pulling nonsense such as a mandatory "LoJack Package," the usual body rustproofing and undercoating scam, and so forth.

So I don't feel that one state or area has a monopoly on honesty or crookedness. You can find both types wherever you go. Honest.

Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is "all good". I got my checks, thanks to sales Manage of Torrance Toyota and Southbay. Once I told them the story that I need my check, they got involved and got my check within a day. I guess the experience put a bad taste about the waiting list and you need to escalate to get your money back. Both location they cashed my check and it was not the case of holding the check. So you think 80 people on the list, paying $1000 each, that is $80,000 in their bank account while every one has to wait for 5 months. :roll:

My advise again find a dealer that has no waiting list, First come first serve is the best policy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Logged an incedent with Toyota customer care for you.

I'd suggest you complain up the chain, giving reference to this thread at each step.

Thanks, I did complain to the sales managers, and they got involved and got my check within a day. Your advise was very usefull. Thanks. My suggestion for others, find a dealer without waiting list that work based on first come first server.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad to hear it

Glad all is resolved. I closed the incednet with Toyota Care (a good site I recommend people use it.

I'm glad you posted your story... I'm going to print this thread and take it to the dealer I'm working with when it's time to put money down.

I choose the dealer I did because he wouldn't put me on a list for '06 until he can price what '06 will be, and give me an acurate quote. I also know someone first hand that has bought TWO PAIR of Prii (priuses) from him over the course of 4 years, so he has a standing reputation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was on a list and gave a $500 deposit (In Calif),....check was neva cashed...salesperson was not dishonest or deceitful...everything worked out.....
I agree with most that the dealers taking advantage should be put on notice.

quietman said:
you know you people should move out of that state. it seems the more i read this board the more i know i would not live in calif if you paid me.

yes.....I agree......please.....everyone leave.......!
additionally, I don't know anyone who would pay you to live here....quite the opposite.....
And I'm glad bitter, judgeful peeps like you don't won't to move here and further clog up our frwys.....(you probably couldn't afford the housing anyway).

it is so nice to live in the midwest where people are still honest and treat you like they want your business.
Puh...leeeeeeeze.......you must not get out much!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue with the "refundability" of your deposit. Not that this bit of advice can help you now, but perhaps it may others thinking of joining a dealership's waiting list.

Back in early 2004 when I placed my "order" (a term used quite loosely) with Ron Tonkin in Portland, I had read about a number of folks experiencing issues with getting their deposit's refunded. My dealership wanted a $500 "refundable" deposit to put my name on their list.

While I basically trusted this dealership, I decided (at the wise urging from my wife) to put my deposit on my American Express credit card instead of simply handing them a check. Over the years I have always been quite impressed with AMEX's customer service and willingness to deny payment (or charge back) to ANY vendor with one simple phone call.

Thankfully, my Prius was delivered 6 months later without having to challenge this charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Logged an incedent with Toyota customer care for you.

Classic said:
My suggestion for others, find a dealer without waiting list that work based on first come first server.
You might want to contact some more dealierships -- there are a few who will put you on their 2006 Prius waiting list without requiring a deposit (Symes Toyota in Pasadena is one).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to refund deposits in California. The dealers can get in trouble for doing that, so threaten them or do whatever's necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Prius Deposit

I put a $500 deposit on a 06 yesterday at Daytona Toyota. The deposit was in the form of a credit card, which they will not process until vehicle delivery. The sales order specifies that it is fully refundable if I am not completely satisfied. The order also specifies MRSP with no dealer installed options and a January delivery.

The lady I worked with, Dana, was very pleasant and let us take an 05 out for a lengthy cruise.

Specifics: Package 06, silver pine mica with grey cloth interior.

Regards,
Steve

(come on January!)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
CA has some pretty good consumer protection laws. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts