Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woe is me! Little Lamb, not even 6 months old, ran into the low wooden "bumper" of a parking garage wall. I couldn't see it when I was parking. I'm too short or else it was those dang bars in the front windshield that I've read others complain about blocking their vision. Now the plastic part of my front bumper on the driver side is scratched scratched scratched. Some of the scratches came off with a car soap/wax, but now I don't know what to do. I am supposed to take it in for its first 6 month check-up this month. Will they try to tell me I've damaged my bumper somehow and void my warranty??? There are no dents, I was barely moving, but I was still in a hurry and trying not to park too close to the guy next to me so his car door wouldn't ding mine! I read a thread on here about a paint pen, but haven't located one in Texas, and I'm not sure it would work for me. I can definitely feel these several scratches, plus two small chips, where the paint was and is no more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
quote: "I can definitely feel these several scratches, plus two small chips, where the paint was and is no more".

AND I can SEE those scratches too...very dark black/brown under the super white paint. A magnet will not stick to the area where the scratches are, but it will stick above where the scratches are, above what is considerd the bumper I guess. There is a kind of dividing line there.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Any auto supply store has a product in a tube that "guaranties" to remove all scratches in auto paint and make the surface as good as new. You can even purchase this from middle of the night or Saturday morning "in-fomercials."
All it is composed of is a mild paint "rubbing compound."
It's worth a shot for about five bucks but I expect it won't work in your case and you are going to have to cough up a couple hundred dollars to get the bumper re-painted.
Leaving it as it is will have nothing at all to do with your cars warranty.
The only guarantee you have is that you probably will never do this again.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I too bumped into a garage wall. I did get a few scratches, but there's plenty of other ways the bumper can (and has) gotten scratched/stained/dirtied from normal driving, so I am not concerned. What happened to me though is the grill popped out some and needs to be snapped in. I'll get around to it sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
the bumper itself is plastic, so no surprise that a magnet won't stick. (the bumper also has a tendency to pop out some small "dents" on its own, too.)

Yes, Toyota does sell bottles of touch-up paint. The latest incarnation is of the paint pen variety, so with the new applicator the price is approaching $10. You can just go to the parts counter of your dealership and ask for one, and give them the paint color code from your car (and the currency to purchase it). May need updating, but: http://www.vfaq.net/docs/PaintCodes.html

You may want to look into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - provided that your scrape doesn't affect the item you're asking for warranty coverage, then the scrape has no bearing on your warranty. (so, for example, the scrape has nothing to do with an ECU update or a failing MFD or a bad window motor, but the scrape may cause issues with the rust-through warranty coverage if the scraped area later develops rust because you didn't patch it with touch-up paint.)

The most that your dealer will care about the scrape, is that they may have you sign off on it prior to them doing service, so that you don't accuse them later of causing the scrape when they drive it into their service bay.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I bought the touch up paint.. kind of wary of painting.. I'm not very good of an artist.. is it that hard to apply? I know it comes in "paint" and "brush" mode..

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just checked this post this morning so may be too late to give advice, but I did order paint touch up through Toyota for minor scratches. Even though the code number for my blue Prius were matched to year, the color came out lighter than my original. Looks a little weird. Just be cautious.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Please just take it to a body shop and have it repaired correctly. You will be much happier in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.