Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Prius should arrive next month and I am trying to decide if I need to incur the added cost of the Toyoguard Protection. The only reason I am considering it is the undercoating/sound seal and the exterior paint protection. I'd like feedback on if these features are worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know what the "Toyoguard" costs. I don't know why you'd need a sound sealant either, 'cause the Prius is very quiet. I use Zaino Pro polish on the finish. It's not a wax; it's a polymer and is very easy to apply. I Zaino'd our Prius about 3 months ago, and it's still doing the job. If you use Zaino you won't believe the results. Buy it over the internet. Go into Google and type in "Zaino Products" and you'll see the homepage. It's a first class product. Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
It sounds like Emilyjohn is more of a "Zaino" salesperson than really trying to answer your question.

Now, to answer your real question about Toyoguard.

NO.

In my opinion it is worse than a waste of money. They etch your windows, which I hate. They offer "roadside assistance." I think with the Prius you already get that. They offer other interior and exterior sealers and protectors. How much stuff can you buy to protect your car for $600 or $700? If you want to hear about all the "benefits," just ask your local Toyota dealer. The dealers love Toyoguard. Do you wonder why? Could it be $$$? Of course, you do get a pretty decal for your window.

It is extremely difficult to get a car without the Toyoguard. Does that tell you something more? I was able to work with a decent dealer in Tampa who was willing to sell one without the Toyoguard.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Very interesting. I received a notice that it was time for my first 6 month paint sealant guard. Never ordered it, and it's not shown anywhere on my sales receipts. I made the appt., got a beautiful job both interior and exterior, and the service manager was just as mystified as I was as to how and why I was receiving this add on. Rechecked my sales papers when I returned home, and no listing of any guard. (He basically said, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.") I'll get this every 6 months for 3 years. Someone's paying the extra money, but I really don't think it's me. (Unless included costs, but I paid MSRP) Anyone have any ideas? An afterthought: my car was originally ordered for a customer who wanted to wait a couple weeks once notified his Prius was in. Dealership wanted a sure sale so I lucked out and took almost immediate possession.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd suggest avoiding the ToyoGard. As my Most Expensive Car Ever, I requested it. This being Southeastern Toyota territory, according to other customers I would have to have waited for an untreated car anyway. My deal was TG for only about $450, and it's not like it hurt anything, and maybe it has been beneficial, but not as much as I wanted it to be.

Now, if they'd call my car in every six months for retreating, then maybe I'd say it was worth it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
sub3marathonman said:
It sounds like Emilyjohn is more of a "Zaino" salesperson than really trying to answer your question.
More like, you've never heard of one of the best paint sealants on the market, which happens to have an extremely loyal and passionate following. Go check out http://www.detailcity.com, http://www.autopia.org, and http://www.roadfly.org (the detailing forum) and educate yourself.

Zaino, along with the Klasse twins (All-In-One and Sealant Glaze) and Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection are probably the three best paint sealants currently on the market - miles ahead of anything you can buy at the local auto parts store, and miles ahead of anything you see advertised on TV - Meguiars, Nu Finish, Turtle Wax, etc.

I'd rather drink Turtle Wax than let it touch any of my cars. But right now my SUV has five coats of Zaino on it, and my Prius has four coats of Klasse (one AIO, three SG) and a top-coat of Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. And I often go for months without seeing another car whose finish can even compare to the finish on my cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toyo Protection

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided I can live without the Toyo protection.

I have some other questions about Prius features but I will post them as a new topic.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Priusenvy must have a dayjob as a psychic, because it is amazing what this person supposedly knows about me, what I have and have not heard of, and what I know and don't know.

I wrote:
priusenvy:
More like, you've never heard of one of the best paint sealants on the market, which happens to have an extremely loyal and passionate following.
In fact, I have heard of "Zaino," "Turtle Wax," "Zymol" (which may be just another "Turtle Wax," check where it's made), "Meguires," "Pinnacle Souveran," and a bunch of others.

Unfortunately that isn't what was asked in this thread. The question was about Toyoguard.

If Priusenvy and Emilyjohn want to spend hours and hours telling each other and anybody else who will listen that they have found the absolute greatest and best wax (OH, my mistake, it's a PAINT SEALANT) ever, they can do that. If they want to discuss the taste of "Turtle Wax," since Priusenvy stated, "I'd rather drink Turtle Wax than let it touch any of my cars," they can do that too. I just think they should do it in their own thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in Jacksonville, FL. Not only did I not buy the Toyo Guard I also drove to Kentucky to save the addional charge that SE Toyota puts on the cars. I think I ended up saving over $1000. Had a nice weekend vacation and toured the Biltmore Estates in NC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Toyoguard and I treated my car to the Zaino product.

I have no connection to Zaino, read about it here. I would save my money on the Toyoguard and consider the Zaino. I wash and treat the car once a week and it looks like glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts