Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any research on the mpg impact of having a front license plate on a Prius??

I get my plates tomorrow and in NJ, we have one on the front as well as the back. :D

First, I really hate to have them drill holes in my new baby, and ‘ruin’ the sleek front with a plate holder and plate..
:cry:

The plate and holder have to disrupt the airflow over the hood and therefore have to affect the mileage. I was wondering if anyone knows how many mpg I could lose..

Or is this not an issue??? :shock:

2005 Seaside #6 w/ etched glass

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
evaunit6 said:
But don't all Prii come with a license plate holder in front? Mine did...
It wasn't installed when I got it. Probably because there are some buyers form PA, where they only have rear plates. They certainly wouldn't want extra holes drilled in the Pri's. :(

Mine is in the storage area area in back, but I will have to have it mounted.

2005 Seaside #6 w/etched glass

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
evaunit6 said:
Holder? no. Classic US Prius only have "dimples" in the front bumper for where you should put in the tap screws to mount a front plate. No holder required, nor comes with the car. I believe it is the same for the 2004-? US Prius. (Not all states require a front license plate.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mrv said:
evaunit6 said:
Holder? no. Classic US Prius only have "dimples" in the front bumper for where you should put in the tap screws to mount a front plate. No holder required, nor comes with the car. I believe it is the same for the 2004-? US Prius. (Not all states require a front license plate.)
Oh dear!! I wonder what it is that I saw in the back!! :shock:

I will have to recheck that!! Guess I will find out tomorrow when they put the plates on!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
We've always had front plates in Illinois. Maybe that explains why I can't get to a 50mpg tank.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wouldn't know......I nvr put my front plates on.....
Currently 57mpg

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The answer is "yes", it does affect gas mileage. But not measurably. If I wasn't required to have a front plate then I probably wouldn't, but I don't think it has a significant effect.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do front license plates affect mpg??
Yes. ~JD~

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
PhotoLady said:
mrv said:
evaunit6 said:
Oh dear!! I wonder what it is that I saw in the back!! :shock:

I will have to recheck that!! Guess I will find out tomorrow when they put the plates on!!
Although no holder is "required", most do install a holder and then attach the license plate to that. My car came with one already installed. I don't know if that was from Toyota or the dealer but it seems to be shaped to fit the Prius bumper. If you don't use a holder, and there is a curve in the bumper, the license plate would bend around it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm...I guess they just install them automatically here in CA since front plates are required. I tend to average between 49-50 mpgs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If a front license plate affects mpg, it has to be really negligible and realistically not measureable. What about side view mirrors then?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DanMan32 said:
evaunit6 said:
Comes with it, yes.
Installed? Not necessarily. If not installed, it is in your underhatch.
Ah, Thank you DanMan32!! I was sure I had seen it there!!!

I have had the plates installed and there was a front plate holder. It is sculpted to fit the front of the Prius. 8)

2005 Seaside #6 w/etched glass,
Diamon Fusion on windshield

·
Registered
344 Posts
that's a bad thing about my home state- i'm required to have a front license plate.

that means when we drive home for the holidays we're going to have to put that holder up or face a ticket... :evil:

since we're in a state now that doesn't require front plates, and we're out of state, it isn't a big deal. sigh... i guess we can always get a fun plate for the front for when we come back. gotta pull that front bit off the bra anyway so it's not going to ever look the same... :(

grr.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If your home state doesn't provide a front plate, a state you visit can't expect you to have a front plate.

I wouldn't worry about it. What would they have you do? Re-register the car when you cross the border?

·
Registered
919 Posts
hyperion said:
Your milage will be affected by the amount of numbers on the front plate.
Makes perfect sense, hyperion! Our governor should buy a Prius.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
galaxee said:
that's a bad thing about my home state- i'm required to have a front license plate.

that means when we drive home for the holidays we're going to have to put that holder up or face a ticket... :evil:

since we're in a state now that doesn't require front plates, and we're out of state, it isn't a big deal. sigh... i guess we can always get a fun plate for the front for when we come back. gotta pull that front bit off the bra anyway so it's not going to ever look the same... :(

grr.
Although here in NJ, we have to have front plates, the folks in PA only have a rear plate, and I have NEVER heard of anyone being pulled over for no front plate...
:shock:

As far as I know, if your state requires only a back plate, that is OK in other states you are visiting.

I have 2 plates and have never been required to remove one in a state that only has 1 plate!!
:wink:

You would only be required to have both plates is you car is tagged in that state..

2005 Seaside #6 w/etched glass
Diamond Fusion on Windshield

1 - 20 of 31 Posts