Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't let this guy work on *my* Classic! He obviously is out of the loop on such fundamentals as oil overfill and tire pressures. The short of it is that there is very little that a shade-tree mechanic can do with a Prius, but I sure wouldn't uncritically follow the advice in that article.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
clett said:
Looking for some pointers on how to DIY your Prius servicing?

Have a look here: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/march2002/mech.cfm
You may wish to read some of Craig's other articles:
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/april2002/collision.cfm
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/aug2002/special.cfm
http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/articl ... p?id=77646

Yes, he owns an Insight, can be found
occasionally on some of the Insight
boards, and usually makes it to the
New England hybrid gatherings, often
providing helpful maintenance information
at those gatherings. I've found his
articles to be fairly right-on about
the Prius, compared to most of the
auto-industry reporters... His
articles aren't really aimed at the
do-it-yourselfer, but for the
independent auto repair shops (you
know, the ones that don't say
"Toyota" in their logo).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Even worse! Recommending 4 quarts of oil, which is bound to overfill, and 35/33 psi tire pressure, which dooms your tires to an early, if not dangerous, death, may go "by the book" but it certainly contradicts my experience and that of many (most?) others who post to these boards. No thanks.

Just to say it once again, in case it needs repeating: 3.5 qts. of oil, 42/40 psi.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Henry said:
Even worse! Recommending 4 quarts of oil, which is bound to overfill, and 35/33 psi tire pressure, which dooms your tires to an early, if not dangerous, death, may go "by the book" but it certainly contradicts my experience and that of many (most?) others who post to these boards. No thanks.

Just to say it once again, in case it needs repeating: 3.5 qts. of oil, 42/40 psi.
The repair manual on the classic Prius
states for the engine oil:
Drain and refill, w/oil filter change: 3.9 US quarts
Drain and refill, w/o oil filter change: 3.6 US quarts
Dry fill: 4.3 US quarts

if you only did 3.5 US quarts, you'd likely be underfilling.
http://www.kluge.net/~mrv/prius/PriusOil.jpg

And if I even got a dealer to inflate
my classic or 2004 Prius' tires to
the point listed on the door jamb of
35psi front, 33psi rear, I'd be happy.
Usually when I get back from a service
they're at best 32psi all around.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I *did* have the dealer put in 3.5 qts., with new filter, at the last oil change---I supplied the oil---and the level on the dipstick was then and has remained at just a wee tad under the "full" line. IOW, just where it should be and just where I want it to be. This is better than 1/4"-3/8" over the mark, which is where it ends up if you let the service guy do his thing, which is presumably "by the book."

As for tire pressure, the service department is similarly obtuse. I want my 175/65R14 Bridgestone B420s @44 psi for max. load rating. When service manager gave me grief, I offered three options: I will add air with my cordless inflator in full view of everybody on your lot,
or you will add air in the service bay to my specifications, or I will drive the car over to the tire place next door where I bought them and have them do it. When I then added that I would not like to create a liability issue for the dealer by driving off the lot with underinflated tires, they relented and filled them---to 42 psi! Needless to say, I am not a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
diy prius service article

I vote with mrv on tire pressure.
The manufacturer, the engineer that designed it, said to inflate to 35psi front, 33psi rear. Do you think Toyota doesn't know that the sidewall on the tire shows 44psi? Why question the manufacturer's spec?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Because we're not talking about the OEM Potenzas here, which are XL rated tires with a max. pressure of 50 psi (not 44 psi), which, when inflated to the Toyota recommended 35/33 psi, become the equivalent of an 81 load rating (1,019 lb). When the B420s are inflated to 44 psi they are at their full rated capacity---also 1,019 lb. That's why.

For newcomers: many many Classic owners have reported premature wear and tire failure on Potenzas inflated to 35/33. When I had Potenzas on my '02, I kept them at 42/40 with great results.

I remind everyone that Ford recommended 26 psi on Firestone tires which were 35 psi max. tires (I know 'cause I own a '91 Exploder), thus underinflating them by 9 psi. Is there anyone out there who does not know what resulted from that miscalculation on Ford's and Firestone's part?

Moral of story: study up on the facts, read all the posts you can on this and the other Prius sites, and don't take anybody's recommendation unless you're sure it's right. And then double- and triple-check some more, and do all of that *before* you uncritically dismiss or accept.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: diy prius service article

04preius said:
I vote with mrv on tire pressure.
The manufacturer, the engineer that designed it, said to inflate to 35psi front, 33psi rear. Do you think Toyota doesn't know that the sidewall on the tire shows 44psi? Why question the manufacturer's spec?
Depends which OEM tire you're talking about.

OEM on the US classic Prius was the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 XL tires, max cold pressure on the sidewall of 50psi.
(OEM tires in Canada, UK, Europe, etc. were all different tires, differnt pressures...)

OEM on the US 2004 Prius is the Goodyear Integrity, with a max cold pressure of 44psi on the sidewall.

either way, on delivery of my 2001 and also my 2004 Prius, neither car even had the factory recommended 35psi front, 33psi rear. (odd, Toyota kept it the same for both cars...)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the OEM Potenzas on the Classic (I own an '02). Sorry I did not make this clear. I don't know a thing about the '04 Prius and would not presume to address any issues on that version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts