Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add daytime running lights to my '01 classic. I have been driving around with my parking lights on all the time. I don't really like it, it changes the brightness of the displays.

I was thinking that I could easily add strips of LEDs running along the tops of the windows on the inside. They are low in power consumption and mounting them high on the car would add visibility. I have to go for low power consumption because my wimpy little 12 volt battery is not measured in Amp/Hours, it's measured in Amp/Minutes. I can drain it by playing the radio too loud 8-(

These people - http://www.superbrightleds.com/ - sell modular 12 volt LED light bars for about $20.00/foot. The cigarrette lighter circuit comes on and off with the car so I should be able to use it for power.

Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You will be all set for Christmas, won't you! I would like a picture of this if you do it. :)

I can't imagine a strip of LED's will compare with the visibility you get from daytime running lights, but who knows? Remember the days when increased visbility was a little orange styrofoam ball on the radio antenna? At least here in Minnesota it was so your car could be seen over the snow banks.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
hm, somewhere I know that CoastalETech posted a wiring diagram for making DRLs, but I do not recall where at the moment...

Personally, I just use poor man's DRLs - I leave my headlights on at all times. In the morning, I turn my dimmer wheel up, in the evening I turn the dimmer wheel down.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yup, gotta say that's the one feature that I really miss from my former car (Camry). I really liked the DRL, and the headlights auto on at dusk. I, too, just leave the lights on all the time now. But that means I don't get to experience the change from "day" to "night" on the MFD.

And I miss the little "00" button on the clock, so when the radio station said the time is now... BEEP... I could hit the button and get the clock set right. Ok, not so important as the light thingy, but still useful.

·
Registered
310 Posts
mrv said:
hm, somewhere I know that CoastalETech posted a wiring diagram for making DRLs, but I do not recall where at the moment...

Personally, I just use poor man's DRLs - I leave my headlights on at all times. In the morning, I turn my dimmer wheel up, in the evening I turn the dimmer wheel down.
I'm with her.

·
Registered
154 Posts
drash said:
mrv said:

I'm with her.
Do you know how to set the clock in the 24HH format? I don't like seeing 6:12 when it is 18:12 :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
kenmce said:
I would like to add daytime running lights to my '01 classic. I have been driving around with my parking lights on all the time. I don't really like it, it changes the brightness of the displays.
I don't have the manual to hand, so can't give precise instructions, but there is a simple setting from the touch screen to maintain the display at full brightness even when the lights are on.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whats with the DRL's? I don't see what the big deal of having your headlights on. Can someone who likes them, fill me in, please. :?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Brian said:
Whats with the DRL's? I don't see what the big deal of having your headlights on. Can someone who likes them, fill me in, please. :?
Some auto insurers in some states will give you a policy discount if you have DRLs. (not an available discount in heavily-regulated MA.)

I use Poor Man's DRLs because I like that I can see and judge the speed/distance of other cars with their headlights on, as opposed to those that do not have their lights on, so I'll repay the favor to others. I also do not have to go turning on my lights when trying to park (use reflection to judge distance from objects). I also do not have to wonder if it's dark enough to turn my headlights on... (the lights on other cars, and reflections from my own lights, give another cue for me, as I have little/no depth perception thanks to genetically crossed eyes...)

A number of people with the factory DRLs find them annoying, as they're bright enough that they forget to turn on their lights at dark (so they're driving around with only the front headlights on thanks to the DRLS, and no taillights). Some people also would like to be able to turn them off when they want to, such as for holiday light displays or approaching military gates or astronomical observatory locations... (Simplest disable is to turn on your car with the emergency brake barely depressed but on, and drive with that brake on...)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I too have a minor depth-perception problem, but it probably wouldn't restrict me from learning to fly or perform surgery. :)

I personally don't like DRL's much. I like the added visibility I get when I turn my headlights on when passing a long line of other cars in the right lane, or when traffic is really congested on the highway, but that added visibility is only there because I don't have them on all the time. And I turn them off when I don't need them anymore...

The impact to other drivers that I have when I turn on my headlights would be decidedly less if everybody had DRLs, and especially if I had DRLs, too.

Motorcyclists don't like DRLs on cars, either. Many of them ride with their lights on all the time. Their logic is that if everybody has headlights on, how will drivers be able to tell the difference between cars and motorcycles? I don't know if that matters much, but it does to some folks at least.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Motorcyclists leave their headlights on as an anti-collision aid. They want to be more visible than they are without lights. They don't want drivers or pedestrians pulling out in their paths. I don't see why they should care if other vehicles are just as visible.

They say when you are in a group that is being chased by a bear you do not have to outrun the bear, just have to outrun someone in your group.

This is not the same kind of situation.

Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
mrv said:
found Coastal Dave's instructions on how to add DRLs to a Classic Prius:
It seems to me that the circuit is to turn on Tail Lights automatically whenever DRL is on. So you must have DRL in the first place!

The collector of the transistor is connected to pin 11 of Body ECU. This in turn is connected to the Tail Relay. The base is controlled by pin 9 of Body ECU which is connected to pin 9 of DRL Relay (only on DRL-equipped car). When DRL is on, the transistor conducts and the collector is pulled to ground causing the Tail Relay to energise and turn on the Tail Lights.

I supposed this hack is for those who want to have Tail Lights on but also want to keep the MFD in the day mode?

Vincent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts