Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else have this problem?

the main display screen and the speedometer dont dim when the headlights are on. it was working until a few days ago. its not a huge problem but its definetly annoying.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The thumbwheel for dimming the dash lights is probably turned all the way up. Turn it back down until you "feel" a slight click.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I find annoying things to be safer than soothing things when it comes to driving at night...

·
Registered
215 Posts
dimmer

I have a different problem. My dimmer wheel used to dim the display even in the daytime if I turned it. It seems to have stopped doing that altogether, though the displays dims as intended with the lights on.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: dimmer

marlowe7 said:
I have a different problem. My dimmer wheel used to dim the display even in the daytime if I turned it. It seems to have stopped doing that altogether, though the displays dims as intended with the lights on.
The dimmer should only work if you have your parking lights or headlights on. It should not dim the display if your lights are off. At least that's how it works on my 04.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Howdy marlowe7

I had the same "dimmer switch" problem. Seems when an ECU update had been done, the tech failed to reconnect the under-dash wiring harness connection. A simple "re-connect" solved the problem.

Do all your panel lights work properly? As in the "buttons" alongside the MFD, radio dials, etc.? Could be another clue to a disconnected harness.

·
Registered
215 Posts
dimmer

I haven't noticed any other lights not working. My car is only 4 months old, so I haven't had an opportunity for a technician to screw anything up yet. I could be wrong, but I really remember the dimmer wheel working for the first few week—even with the lights off.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: dimmer

marlowe7 said:
...I could be wrong, but I really remember the dimmer wheel working for the first few week—even with the lights off.
Check your owner's manual. Mine only works when the lights are on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
OK, think of day mode and night mode. The taillights have a day mode (off) and a night mode (on)

The dash is forced in day mode (bright) if the lights are in day mode. If the lights are in night mode, the dash is in night mode and the dimmer controls the brightness, but you can force the dash to day mode by setting it to detent.

Now the display has a day mode and a night mode. The display can only go to night mode if the dash is in night mode (tail light on, dimmer not in detent). You can force the display to go into day mode even if the dash is in night mode by pressing Display, then pressing the soft button Day Mode. The soft button only appears if the dash is in night mode.
One caveat: Although the display's contrast and 'brightness' can be forced to day mode, the backlight still follows the dash day/night mode.

G

·
I had the same problem. They was a loose connection and they fixed it. It also caused the backlighting for the buttons to not function.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts