windows and locks, not to mention starting,
might be a problem. Has anyone had
experience with this?
Thanks very much to all who respond.
Edward

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I would expect that with an 05 you would have no problem leaving it in a garage for a couple of months and that's the way I would go. Actually I would blow fifty bucks and leave a battery tender hooked up. That's just a personal preferance and probably not needed. There are a couple suggestions in the owners manual but I'de still go with the "tender."

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Instructions to disconnect the wire harness from the jump start terminal in the fuse box is located in pages 7-8 of US TSB PG007-03 (storage for 10 or more days).

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 007-03.pdf
Oct. 9, 2003, Revised Sept. 16, 2004, Maintenance for HV and Auxiliary Batteries, 2004-2005 Prius

When you get back, you'll have to reprogram your radio presets, and also the driver's auto-up window.

Alternately, a smart battery minder (one that will turn off to prevent overcharging and also won't undercharge) could be hooked up.

But if your Prius is relatively new, and you make sure that all interior lights are off, headlight switch is off, and doors are closed, you may be able to get away with leaving it unused for 6 weeks without a problem.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
In the 04 owners manual there are pages 298 and 299 explaining what could happen if you disconnect. That's why I would leave it alone or at least use a "tender." When my 12 volt needs changing I'm personally not going to try to save a buck but will make sure my Toyota dealer orders one (they're "special order" item and expensive) and installs it.
All though these "hi tech" cars are wonderfull, they are a bitch to have any electrical work done on.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Slightly off topic, but yesterday I saw on one of those home shopping channels a Motor Trend 12 volt battery charger that inserts in the cigarette lighter making cable wires unnecessary. Would this work in a Prius or cause more problems to the system?

·
Registered
319 Posts
evander said:
Slightly off topic, but yesterday I saw on one of those home shopping channels a Motor Trend 12 volt battery charger that inserts in the cigarette lighter making cable wires unnecessary. Would this work in a Prius or cause more problems to the system?
You need to mod the 12V outlet before using it. The outlet isn't live all the time, but a few wires patched in the right places fixes that. http://www.coastaletech.com/power_outlet_mod.htm shows what to do, and you can order the parts from them but don't hold your breath waiting.

On the 12V battery itself, I found it was easier to detach the wire from the car than from the battery...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
mrv said:
Instructions to disconnect the wire harness from the jump start terminal in the fuse box is located in pages 7-8 of US TSB PG007-03 (storage for 10 or more days).

Oct. 9, 2003, Revised Sept. 16, 2004, Maintenance for HV and Auxiliary Batteries, 2004-2005 Prius
Could you post that .pdf here? I don't want to sign up with Yahoo to read it there.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts

I would be very carefull with the word "charger" rather than "tender" The charger could possibly "cook" your battery in six weeks and as far as revising electrical components in a Prius I would skip any thought as not being "worth it."
By hooking a tender directly to the battery rather than under the hood, it would be a onetime connection and you could leave it in the car for "eternity"

·
Registered
919 Posts
Please explain the distinction between "tender" and "charger". We are technologically challenged. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
evander said:
Please explain the distinction between "tender" and "charger". We are technologically challenged. Thanks for the input.
A charger is a simple device, it continually feeds the battery current and basically doesn't have any capacity to turn itself off. If you are servicing a vehicle and want to top off or charge a battery and will be actively monitoring the battery or will be returning to take it off the charger in a couple of hours, that is great.

However, a tender is much more advanced. It has the capability of turning itself off and discontinuing the charge cycle when the battery reaches its peak voltage. The tender then monitors the battery's charge and if the charge starts to drop the tender will kick on again to top off the battery.

In short, do not use a charger for extended storage on the Prius, only use a tender if you insist on having any type of charging at all. But I believe that if your vehicle is fairly new you shouldn't have any need for a charger at all. In 6 weeks you should be able to come home and everything will be just fine.

An even better charger is a friend who has a key and goes and starts your car and lets it run for 30 minutes every week or couple of weeks.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Very informative. We just returned from vacation and had left my Prius in an open lot for 9 days. It was extremely cold and snowy here, and I was kicking myself for not parking in the covered garage. The car had the oddest start--soo quiet that I couldn't even hear the ICE kick in after a few minutes of wiping snow away. I even had to restart. I was imagining both batteries being discharged. But we reversed and were on our way. My confidence in the Prius has soared and I'm bragging to everyone that it started easier than any of my previous cars in such conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
richard schumacher said:
mrv said:

Could you post that .pdf here? I don't want to sign up with Yahoo to read it there.
You may want to join that group anyways - it's where nearly all of the Prius TSBs are collected anyways.

Luckily I still have a local copy for you.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts