Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, first the light on the rear-view while driving is for the auto-dim feature of the mirror. You can turn that off, but you have to do so each time you start, er um, turn on your car. Takes hardly any power though, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dan the Man

Thanks, Dan, for the advice. Since I've acquired the habit of turning off that tiny light on the mirror when turning on/starting up my Prius, I've not noticed that the auto-dim feature of the mirror is inoperative. Don't drive that much at night, I suppose.

Thanks again for the information.

Claudio

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you're not concerned with losing the auto-dim feature of the rear-view, you can unplug the power from the mirror altogether. The connection is in the back of the mirror. I disconnected mine until I installed an electric garage door opener that connects with HomeLink. Now I have to remember to lock the car at night so no one can get into my house by pushing the HomeLink button.

Susan

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Now I have to remember to lock the car at night so no one can get into my house by pushing the HomeLink button."
You mean that otherwise you'd leave the car unlocked outside all night..?

·
Registered
455 Posts
JDavies said:
"Now I have to remember to lock the car at night so no one can get into my house by pushing the HomeLink button."
You mean that otherwise you'd leave the car unlocked outside all night..?
Or that the average thief would even realize the Home link isn't plugged in. There is a simple solution if you don't want the HomeLink to be able to open your garage -- don't program it. Or clear it if you already have.

Seems silly to me to lose the auto dim feature just to disable the HomeLink.
or am I missing something?

Claudio, are you worried about the electric draw of that little bitty light, or just find it distracting?

Spike

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Claudio said:
Help, please! Is there a way to disable the garage opener on my 2005 Prius? I have no garage and would rather not leave the tiny light burning while driving.
Thanks,
Claudio
The light on the rearview mirror is not on when the vehicle is powered down. There is no draw when the vehicle is off. The draw when operating is negligible, and even then it is not important.

The green light only indicates that the auto-dimming mirror is on. It does indicate if you are transmitting or if you are programming the Homelink device, however that is only when you press on the Homelink buttons. If the green light on the autodimming mirror is off, that means that the mirror is off and will not autodim. I would just leave it all alone and not be unplugging and plugging in stuff.

·
Registered
991 Posts
What jeromep said is correct. When the light is on, autodim is on (great for nighttime.. too bad it doesn't work for the side mirrors too :p). Thats not the garage opener, but you can turn it off by hitting the | i believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.