Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 06 today, but had problems in the daylight seeing the digital speedometer and the other guages. I had to turn the slider up all the way past the click to brighten it. After the click the light-on light came on. Is this all normal? Thanks

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Sounds to me like the headlights were on when you were on your test drive and as such the display was in night mode. If the headlights were off the display would have defaulted to the final position of the slider wheel past the indentation which is day mode.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"I test drove a 06 today, but had problems in the daylight seeing the digital speedometer and the other guages. I had to turn the slider up all the way past the click to brighten it. After the click the light-on light came on. Is this all normal? "
That's normal IF the headlights are on. Too bad your dealer rep didn't know that.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The car is in night mode if the tail lights are on.

The dash will will be in night mode if the tail lights are on, but can be forced to day mode using the detent in the dimmer control

The display will normally be in night mode if the dash is in night mode (remember to consider the dimmer override) but can be overridden by a setting using the display button. There are 2 LCD brightness/contrast settings, one for day mode, one for night mode.
By the way, that soft Day Mode button only shows up if the dash is in night mode. Also the actual backlight for the LCD will follow the dash day/night brightness, regardless if the display is forced to day mode or not.

·
Registered
508 Posts
(Somewhat off-topic)

I'm always amused that my MFD gets significantly darker while I'm wearing my sunglasses. More than just the obvious brightness reduction - the polarization has a lot to do with it. When I tilt my head one way or the other, the display actually fades completely out and back in. And then I get dizzy. (The preceding exercise is only intended to be performed while the vehicle is not moving. Trained driver on closed course. Limited time offer. All rights reserved. US Reg. Pat. Off.) In case you can't tell, I'm slappy on prescription cough medicine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thomme said:
(Somewhat off-topic)

I'm always amused that my MFD gets significantly darker while I'm wearing my sunglasses. More than just the obvious brightness reduction - the polarization has a lot to do with it. When I tilt my head one way or the other, the display actually fades completely out and back in. And then I get dizzy. (The preceding exercise is only intended to be performed while the vehicle is not moving. Trained driver on closed course. Limited time offer. All rights reserved. US Reg. Pat. Off.) In case you can't tell, I'm slappy on prescription cough medicine.

Only if you will share :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys were right, I went back today to look at the vehicle and sure enough, the lights were on. I turned them off and the display was back to normal. I had made the decision (hard one) to go ahead and trade in my corvette conv, but the trade in amount was not enough, so today is not my day for a hybrid. Maybe later.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
DocToss said:
I had made the decision (hard one) to go ahead and trade in my corvette conv, but the trade in amount was not enough, so today is not my day for a hybrid. Maybe later.
DocToss, of course, you'd do a lot better selling privately. I wouldn't wait too long as gas is likely to be a buck a gallon higher this summer. And factor in benefits such as a $3000 federal tax credit for 2006 (if you don't delay long) and priceless cleaner exhaust emissions. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hmm. Guess I better not use polorized sunglasses, as I do have a tilt to my head because of my spine/neck deformity. Givese me challenges at 3D movies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts