Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a low milage '04 with NAV & all the goodies. Is there a reason the steering wheel lights are so dim? Seem like driving at night with headlight glare in your eyes, is a bad time to be figuring out buttons you can hardley see. Does Toyota expect you to memorize all the buttons and their positions? Also J. Davies where do you get a "Scan Gage" & where does it plug in? Thanks I'm just a newbe.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
As for #1 you will get used to the position of the buttons just like the rest of us and #2 You can get all the information for the Scan Guage at
http://www.scanguage.com
Unfortunately, it has become one of the most important aftermarket products for the Prius. Everyone desiring to know when the Internal Combustion Engine is actually running, wants one. (The MFD does not do this)
Goes for $129.00 postage paid and plugs into the OB2 Socket which is a receptacle just under the forward lip of the dashboard directly under the "power" button vertically, to the right of the steering wheel. If you are not bendable three ways can best be found with the use of a mirror. (it's a two inch plug)
ScanGuage is completely sold out and will not have any new units until early May but they are definately worth waiting for and the new ones may be made narrower. The production date can be secured by using "price" button.

·
Registered
17 Posts
JusChpNotGreen said:
Just picked up a low milage '04 with NAV & all the goodies. Is there a reason the steering wheel lights are so dim? Seem like driving at night with headlight glare in your eyes, is a bad time to be figuring out buttons you can hardley see. Does Toyota expect you to memorize all the buttons and their positions? Also J. Davies where do you get a "Scan Gage" & where does it plug in? Thanks I'm just a newbe.
Scan Gauge is a fine product but limited to the information, you should check the product http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/index.html CANview, is more expensive but for the Prius techie driver is a MUST have. Also with their new version you can check and erase ( if becomes necessary) the DTC hybrid (MIL) error codes. This amazing device will give you all the information in the MFD center console not in a tiny dimm display, I had one and sold it for 70 bucks after installing my CANview.
Horacio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scan Gauge vs. CANview

Thanks Horacio, I checked out CANview's website, it is very informative about the multitude of different views available and what each view provides. I'll definitely hold out for the CANview. Gill.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Re: Scan Gauge vs. CANview

Thanks Horacio, I checked out CANview's website, it is very informative about the multitude of different views available and what each view provides. I'll definitely hold out for the CANview. Gill.
You do have to ask yourself what you are looking for.
The scan Guage takes a few moments to plug into a visable socket and thats it! Gives you a lot of info but the usual owner usually selects on the four indicators, Engine RPM, (which is the only true source of knowing when the ICE is running) An ammeter giving you knowledge of the small 12 Volt battery condition, a coolant temp guage, and a fourth selection of your own choice. All this for one hundred and thirty bucks and five minutes for your mother to install right out of the box!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.