Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find any other topics that mention this problem - but I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem or any ideas about what might be wrong?

I have a 2005 Pkg 6. Sometimes (maybe about once a month) after I first start the car, I cannot get it to "shift" into either reverse or drive. I move the lever and nothing happens. The first time this happened, I pushed the park button and then it would shift into reverse. The next time pushnig the park button did not help. I have started just taking a deep breath, waiting a few seconds, shifting into neutral, and then I can go to reverse or drive. Luckily every time this has happened so far, I have been at home. I am worried that the problem will begin to happen more frquently or that I might get stuck somewhere other than at home.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts about the situation.
Christy

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
There was a thread about this a while ago, but anyway, perhaps it could be the timing on your part. If you try to shift into D or R too quickly after starting, it may not be in READY mode yet. You have to wait at least one second before shifting--after the quick two-beep sound, it's ready to be shifted.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Be sure READY is displayed in the combination meter. If you don't see the word READY, your hybrid drive is not on. Either you are in ACC or Ig-On mode.

There was a problem that sometimes occured with 2004s where one would go into a 'hang on Ig-On'. This is where the car would go into an Ig-On display (dash warning lights displayed) and not go totally into READY even though the brake pedal was pushed. The car would appear stuck on as you couldn't power off. I found I could power off if I pressed the power button with my foot off the brake. I could then get into READY normally. Since the 50P campaign, I haven't seen this problem. It doesn't sound like your problem though.

A mis-adjusted brake lamp switch could cause the Prius to think you don't have the brake pedal pushed, which means you won't go to READY but rather into ACC and subsequent push to Ig-On.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My difficulty has been just the opposite.

There have now been a few times where I park, put on the parking brake, and put it into N. Only it has remained in D, and if the parking brake hadn't been on it would have moved forward. I don't know if it would hurt the car too if it was left like that for any length of time. I suppose it would have drained the battery, since it was in N, but would MG1 or MG2 have been hurt?

It is somewhat an automatic action to do the shifting. But I know I'm stepping on the brake, because I do that before I put the parking brake on, and keep holding the brake down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I am certain that during the second and third times this has happened that Ready was showing. I can't imagine that I was trying to shift into either R or D without my foot on the brake (too many years of practice for that not to be a habit) - but since this only happens near the garage where it is really flat and I am only intending to move a few feet, maybe that's the problem. I will double check both the ready light and my foot on the brake the next time this happens.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You can shift from D to R or R to D without pressing on the brake if your speed is low enough (<5MPH), and I think you can do the same going from R or D to Park. However if you are in Park, you can't shift to D or R without pressing on the brake. Usually when starting out, one's foot is already on the brake to get it into READY, so it is unusual to subsequently shift without pressing the brake.

If you leave the car on long enough while in N, you will drain the battery. You can't really hurt MG1 or MG2, except maybe if you are exceeding 62 MPH with ICE off (going down hill perhaps?). 42 if in a Classic. Think of N as having the electrical connections to MG1/2 disengaged but insulated.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, sub3,

If you're setting the park'g footbreak (seemingly to keep your car from roll'g), then why not put your transmission in "park" too, lock'g that as a back-up safety measure to definitely keep you from going anywhere (& as a battery charging safety measure too). Why would anybody with an automatic transmission leave it in "N"?? I can understand with a standard transmission just setting the break & leaving it in neutral [but also putting it in gear (& turn'g the wheels towards the curb) to help hold the car if park'g on a hill].

Ken (back in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
By the way Sub, you have to hold it in the N position for about 2 or 3 seconds before it actually registers N on the display.
Or did it go to N on the display, then shortly after spontaneously jump to D?

·
Registered
202 Posts
DanMan32 said:
By the way Sub, you have to hold it in the N position for about 2 or 3 seconds before it actually registers N on the display.
Or did it go to N on the display, then shortly after spontaneously jump to D?
I think you've answered the question. Usually I'm just in a hurry and touch it to N. I didn't think you had to hold the lever there for any length of time.

I'm usually just putting it into N because it is quicker to reach the lever than find the Park button. It also lets me remember the days of driving a stick-shift and not having a Park option. (Those days were long ago now.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.