Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

My first post here though I have been reading the forums for quite long time.

I live in Greece and ordered a Prius which I will be getting this Thursday-Friday. I have read that US version is different than the EU.

In Greece we have two main versions of Prius. The basic one and the elegance one. The only differences are that the elegance version has SKS, JBL and fog lights. The parking alarm and leather option are extras. All the safety features (Airbags/VSC) are included in both versions. The car I got is the elegant with parking alarm and leather option about $36K.

I was wondering what are the differences in US. I know that you can order a more simple car (without all airbags, VSC, etc.) but in terms of tires/suspension, etc. I don't know what the differences are and which is the best version.

Thanks!!
John Nousis

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can get a look at them by going to http://www.buyatoyota.com/ and building a Prius using a US zipcode (mine is 05641 if you need one). At present they're giving us four options on that website; my local dealer's brochure has six options, but the extra two he doesn't have prices for, so I assume they are discontinued or something.

·
Registered
548 Posts
John Nousis said:
I was wondering what are the differences in US. I know that you can order a more simple car (without all airbags, VSC, etc.) but in terms of tires/suspension, etc. I don't know what the differences are and which is the best version.
I believe that the European Prius (at least the UK Prius) comes with 16" tires, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a suspension that doesn't jiggle like jello and dive towards the earth when you're cornering.

The US version has 15" tires, disc/drum brakes, and a very soft and sloppy suspension.

G

·
0 Posts
Try the stiffening brace fix. It really fixes makes the car corner flatter. I'm satisfied with the current suspension setup though it does need improvement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can verify the 4 disk brakes because I saw them. For the rest I will tell you when I actually get it. I am not 100% sure about the 16'' tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, the swedish prius has 16" light alloy wheels with plastic covers. Standard is SKS, EV button, JBL 6-disc changer with 9 speakers, height adjustable drivers seat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the next question

what is the avg mpg or km/g for the euro spec prii with 16" rims. And has anybody looked into retrofitting the US spec version with the euro spec disc brakes and suspension components? (I'm assuming the disk brakes require the larger rims, though maybe not if they're as tiny as the front discs are).

-s

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What's the plastic covers on the 16"? Can anyone show me? Is it similar to our plastic covers on our 15s?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The specified fuel figures according to the european standard measurement method is : Town 50, highway 42, average 43. All figures is liters/100 km. Some counting to be done to get mpg, and I´m to tired to do it right now (it´s 6 o´clock in the morning here). About the plastic covers : they look exactly like the alloy wheels, just different color. They are 7 spoke and I assume you have 6 spokes.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I assume it's 5.0 not 50 L/100km?

That's less optimistic than what Transport Canada says - 4.0 city, 4.2 hwy.

I'm around 4.5-4.7L/100km.

Hmm, well our plastic cover is actually a ring. The spokes are alloys but the little indentation you see between spokes is part of the plastic ring that covers the outer boundaries of the wheel. I still can't picture your plastic cover for the 16". Do you mean the plastic cover goes right over the wheel itself, covering it entirely?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your lucky.

Official in Germany is 4.5 but I get around 6.0. If I drive very carefully I can gat 5.5 but never less. As soon as I touch the gas, the motor starts, even on a down hill start unless I switch to EV mode before I pull away. 90% of the time the motor still runs when hot and Im stopped, SOC makes no difference. :cry:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
In the pre-release info packs concerning the 2004 Prius in the article about the design wind tunnel testing it was stated that the wheel covers were designed to eliminate "burbling" around the wheels. It is in the same article about the location of the spoilers position being moved dozens of times to get the least drag. Ditto with the scalloped roof line which destroys any chance of a moon roof being installed. Also was one of the reasons the Prius has the least drag co-efficient of any produced car in the world.
Some owners speculate that it is to protect the wheels from contact with curbs. They could be right.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah hyperion pretty much said it. It's probably for aerodynamics and to minimise eddie swirls between spokes. Others have speculated it might be for weighting the perimeter of the wheel... something to do with inertia. The part about protecting it from the curb, I think that's a by-product lol.

Regarding the 16" wheels, I've looked and looked. I can't tell the difference. :?

Hmm, so in order of efficiency for the Prius, it's

Japan, US, Canada, Sweden, Germany lol.

The Japanese 1-15 cycle nets the Prius 35km/L. That's 2.86L/100km or 82mpg US.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts