Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just filled up my tank for the 4th time since owning my prius. So far I've been very pleased with it. Because of the "how much gas is left at blinking bar" issue, we've been slowly pushing the mileage up and seeing how many miles we really have left with a safety margin.

My last tank I drove 460 miles, the computer said 50.1 MPG and the tank took 9.1 gallons, 50.5 MPG at the pump. On the other two tanks this has all been consistant. So we decided to push a little further maybe up to 10 gallons.

This tank the computer said 49.4 MPG and we drove 502 miles. I just got through putting in 12.4 gallons???????? I thought these tanks only held 11.9. That would also put my MPG at 40.4. WTF!

Has anyone else put in more than 11.9 gallons? Did this gas station rip me off?

:x

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
depends. It could be just a under-sensitive pump.

e.g. Before a road trip, I refuelled, one one bar, 30 litres. After the trip, I travelled 448kms and had 4 bars left. When I pumped at a US station, I pumped 28 litres. That didn't seem right. I decided to see how this tank would do to determine whether that US pump was accurate. Turns out, this tank was my record tank at 818kms.

·
Registered
319 Posts
rosieox said:
Has anyone else put in more than 11.9 gallons? Did this gas station rip me off?
Was it one of those recapture pumps, where any gasoline that might have spilled went back into an underground pool?...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You were ripped. A local Shell station routinely recalibrates his pumps after his buddy at Weights & Measures leaves. Many do, especially those who cater to travelers, who are least likely to return and complain. Buying gas near interstates is a risk for this reason.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i don't trust gas station pumps in general. i'm sure they tell you that you put in more gas than you actually did.

that's why use the MFD to calculate my gas mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikepaul said:
Was it one of those recapture pumps, where any gasoline that might have spilled went back into an underground pool?...
Yes, but I was standing right by the pump the whole time, (dosen't take long with a prius!) and I could hear the tank filling as it got right towards the top before it clicked off. Unless they're overflow happens during pumping.

Yes it was right off the freeway, I'm never going back to that station again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... well, you know...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
We should have a measuring device in our cars. All cars, not just Prius. You would't even make lemonade this way.

But we could bring a measured gas can, fill it, then fill our cars with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you keep filling you can put in more than 12 gallons. Many of my fillups are more than 12 and the most so far was 12.75. There is room in the plumbing. I fill mine all the way up and almost always go at least 650 miles. My wife just went 648 miles at 55.4 MPG. I am currently at 754 miles at 61.7 MPG. I will fill up later today. My fillup will definitely be more than 12 gallons. I fill about a gallon or so after it clicks off.

·
Registered
669 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You would't even make lemonade this way.
With a gas pump, a notebook and a calculator? Nah... I'd squeeze a couple of lemons, put in "about that much" water, add a little sweetner and taste it...

Am I supposed to be tasting the gas?

I'm pretty sure a couple spoonfuls of sugar are NOT a good idea!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
I'm pretty sure a couple spoonfuls of sugar are NOT a good idea!
And I think there are lemon laws, so I wouldn't put one of those in there either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts