Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I got taken for a bit of a ride with the Prius that I am picking up today. I went in yesterday to take care of the paperwork and make all the payments. I paid MSRP on the car, so that is not my concern but the accessories that I was talked into buying I think I may have paid too much for.

First I purchased the premium extended warrenty for 7yrs/75K mi with which the finance guy "threw in" the service that coats the interior and exterior of the car to protect it. For this I was charged about 2,895.

Then I purchased the prepaid maintence contract, with which the guy "threw in" LoJack. For this I paid 2085. To total then for these four things is about 5,000. Looking at the website I think I paid about the suggested retail price for at least the prepaid maintence contract, but I don't know about the protectant and the LoJack, and especially the Extended warrenty. The only things I can cancel at this point would be the prepaid maintence plan (which I think I'll keep) and the warranty. What do you all think? Did I get hosed? Should I try to cancel the warranty and find a better price since I have some time to purchase that. This is my first time buying a car so I think I may have been taken advantage of.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and a followup to my question

the finance guy told me on the prepaid maintence plan (which by the way is 4yrs/55K mi) that the towing lasts for 4 years, while the maintence will last for each interval till 55K. Is that true, or after 4 years will I not have the ability to use the maintence plan? I can't seem to find anything clear about that in the contract or on the website and I don't just want to take his word.

Thanks,
Noah

·
Registered
128 Posts
My opinion is you were taken. Why do you need Lojack? The car would have to be dragged onto a flatbed or lifted by a tow truck to be stolen unless you leave your key fob in it. Some think the interior/exterior protection is worth it. I prefer to use a good finish protection like Nufinish. The extended warranty is also not a deal to me. The "extension" only applies to the conventional parts of the car, not the hybrid part (8yr/100k warranty) or the powertrain (6yr/60k warranty). You are spending $1k+ for an additional year or two for power windows, locks, radio, cruise, steering, etc. If this gives you a comfort level, fine. But I seriously question $5k of add-ons to a $20k - $26k vehicle. That's a 20 - 25% premium! In the end it is all up to you and what you really want, but I personally think you got it in the "end."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I may not need the LoJack or the protective stuff, I am stuck with all of that. I can cancel the extended warranty which I am seriously considering, at least that will save me approximately $2000. Next time I will watch out for these smooth talking finaciers. The dealer was great, but the finance guy just talked me into too much extra stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ripped off

Selling the car is only part of what dealers do....selling the "options" is where they make some real money. Sadly, I too think you were seriously ripped off and it makes me angry seeing the good intentions of Prius buyers being trashed by the lowlifes who run finance departments of major dealerships. There are a lot of cynical people in car dealerships happily selling you "an environmentally friendly car" but going against the whole philosophy behind that car in the manner in which they treat customers.
My mechanic friends tell me that undercoating, interior coating, etc, does very little to enhance the longevity of the car but does a lot to enhance the bottom line of the dealers. The poster who commented about the extended warranty was also right on: the hugely expensive high tech items like the synergy drive, are warranted above the extended add-on warranty, so you are paying a lot of insurance for the off chance something less compex, like power windows, will fail, and given Toyota's legendary reliabilty, that's not likely.
If you can cancel the extended warranty and get 2k back, you should. The normal price for the 7yr/70k warranty is about 1000 bucks and you can get it (or "re-up") any time during the initial 3yr/36k warranty period. Certainly, stop doing any business with this dealership. If you want to renew the extended warranty after you cancel this one, do it with a dealer you can trust....ask around or do a chatline inquiry for dealers' reputations for dealers in your area.
Best things you can do: use this experience to warn others of the pitfalls of new car purchases, and get this experience behind you so that you can enjoy your car and use it wisely.
Again, sorry to hear about your experiences. You are generous to share them with folks on this chatline, many of whom are waiting for cars and might be well advised to learn from you.
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also hoping to get some opinion on the prepaid maintence package. Is this worthwhile? I feel like it is since it covers so much and dealers tend to charge more for the oil change, but you have to have your prius serviced by the dealer currently. I will do my best to cancel the extended warranty but I do believe I am stuck with everything else (aside from the prepaid service plan) as the contract for the LoJack and Coating says "non-cancellable."

Thanks for your advice.

I have definately learned an invaluable lesson here!

Noah

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
the coatings are nearly always pure dealer profit and not worth it.

What version of Lojack did you get? I believe that the base Retrieve system was going for around $750-800 back when I was looking in Nov. 2004. (Prices vary by region, though.) At least you can get an insurance discount from it. http://www.lojack.com/

The Prepaid maintenance plan. With this plan, you're stuck going to (any) Toyota dealer for your regular service. note that all US Prius already come with 3 years/36,000 miles of Toyota Roadside Assistance, so if you get the prepaid maintenance plan you're paying twice for it. MSRP is here: http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/prep ... emium.html note that you can bargain on this, and get it for less than MSRP. try contacting a few different dealers. (I've seen $680 listed on this board for the 4yr/55,000mile/Premium plan, MSRP $995.)

As for the extended warranty, cancel it before your 30 days are up. see if your dealer will refund you the full cost. If not, the $50 paperwork fee will be worth it. $980 is available from several dealers for the 7year/100,000mile/$0 deductible Toyota Extra Care Platinum plan extended warranty. Much more info on the extended warranties is at (and I highly recommend reading ;) ) : http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I called around to several Los Angeles area dealerships a month ago I got a similar story from Toyota of Santa Monica. He said they sell them for MSRP plus about $2,800 over to cover LoJack and some special paint sealant. No negotiation. You buy from them and get the "extras" or you don't get one at all. At least he was upfront about it! I politely declined coming in to put down a deposit with him. And I might be low with that overage. He also tried to sell me a USED Florida Prius' for MSRP plus the cost of shipping it here. :shock: He really thought I'd go for MSRP for a used car! And a package #1, at that.
[/b]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Capitol Toyota made things right

I just wanted to give an update to everyone to clear the dealer's name a bit. I let my dealer know how I felt about everything and told him that I wanted to cancel the warranty and the LoJack. He set up an appointment for me with the Supervisor of the Finance department. The guy took care of me no problem. He cancelled both the warranty (which was cancellable) and the LoJack (which was technically non-cancellable). I don't know if I could have asked to cancel the coating, but I didn't want to press my luck, and I figure that it can't be a bad thing to have. This dealership I do believe cares about customer satisfaction, and Rick Perez, Internet Sales Manager is great. He really worked hard for me, and is just a nice guy. I just wanted to clear their name so that you all wouldn't worry if you were looking to buy from them. Thanks for your encouragement and support!

Noah

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that the extended warranty is ok if you're sure that you want to keep the car for so many years. The electric power steering, power brakes, and air contitioner compressor are things that may fail and could be quite expensive to fix. Most Toyotas are very reliable but a few Prii have been known to fail miserably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mdacmeis said:
The "extension" only applies to the conventional parts of the car, not the hybrid part (8yr/100k warranty) or the powertrain (6yr/60k warranty).
The factory 8yr / 100K coverage on the Hybrid System, covers 4 parts: Battery control module, Hybrid Control module, inverter w/converter, and the Hybrid Battery Pack.(10 yr / 150K). Thats it....Hardly all the parts involved in the Hybrid system. See page 9 in your Owners's Warranty Info booklet.

Toyota Financials Platinum Extra Care covers every Factory part on the vehicle except what is specifically excluded, including the Hybrid and powertrain parts. Not just the "conventional parts"; power windows, locks, etc...

If anyone wants to read a copy of a Platinum contract, feel free to email me. I have one in Adobe PDF format that I would be happy to email to anyone that wants to read the fine print.

Troy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts