Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
In Europe Priuses come with a button for "EV-only" mode. America does not have that button. Anyway, I heard that American owners were working to reactivate that option and jury-rig a button.

Did they succeed?
Wayne Brown in conjunction with an anonymous UK connection figured it out about a year ago. Some of us have aquired OEM EV buttons, some folks have just used a store bought momentary switch, others have used the Coastaletech circuit.

We didn't 'create' an EV mode, simply enabled it as the same programming/ECU is used in the US car, but it isn't connected to a button.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK, how? And will it void the warranty, etc?

I found a place that sells the EV mode kit, and it's not expensive. But I was thinking I'd read on here somewhere that doing it voided the warranty. Am I remembering correctly?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
EV only mode

It is always best to assume that any unauthorized modification, especially to key systems such as the electrical/battery system on Prius potentially voids the warranty. Only Toyota can decide that, but one should be very wary before making such a mod. I'm the nervous type. I would not do it.

Better course is to make a lot of noise at Toyota to get them to make it available as an authorized mod in U.S done either by oneself or dealer, just like many other accessories you can add.

Write them,email them, complain, suggest.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
So those of you who made the mod...

do you like it?
Hmmm...kinda vague question. ..
I'll go with "Yes, I like it." I feel like I'm closer to exploiting the full intended functionality of the Prius by having it. It has limited practical utility, but I do, occasionally, find that it's usefulness is there. I also use it at other occasional times just to prevent ICE restart when I know I'm about to stop to park or something....but I can't say that that's truely a 'benefit'.

What are you driving at?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That really depends on how you use it. For me, I only use it in the following situations:

1. I need to move the cars around the driveway. This keeps the Prius from starting at all, and I figure that's better than an "on for 15 seconds" burst.

2. If the charge indicator is green when getting off the interstate on the way to work, I'll EV the last half mile, because I know 8 hours from now, the engine can charge the battery while it's warming up at a stop light

3. Same as above, but the last half mile home. Again, only if green.

Like just about anything Prius in nature, if you abuse it, your MPG will drop instead of rise.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Nothing. Just curious. i guess the only other question I have is:

- How does using the EV-only button affect your MPG?
I don't think it affects it much at all...not measurably anyway. More than anything, and maybe more importantly, it probably reduces emissions slightly. That first few minutes before the Catalyst is warmed is the highest emissions time. I you can completely avoid that stage for very short trips that's good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts