Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is better? What's the difference? (besides almost $100)

I have a 2005 Prius with Navigation.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
slo007 said:
Which one is better? What's the difference? (besides almost $100)

I have a 2005 Prius with Navigation.

Thanks! :D
I have the same car as you and I went with the DICE. For me, the cost of the Vais was prohibitive. I was able to get in as a beta-tester for the DICE, so the price was even lower. I have had zero problems with my unit. It never locks up or needs to be unplugged/rebooted. I've had it for 6 months now. There have been others that have experienced issues with their units, but as far as I know DICE has corrected any issues and everyone's happy.

I don't know of any problems with the Vais system, other than the higher price. The only feature I know of that the Vais has over the DICE is that it'll press the "I Agree" button on the Navigation automatically. I don't know how that works or if it takes any time to activiate. It'd be a nice feature, provided it's quicker than doing it manually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you dgstan. Is there a limit to the number of songs/playlists the DICE unit will interface with the car? I read somewhere the VAIS unit has a 999-song limit, and that all songs have to be in a playlist. is this the case with the DICE product?

·
Registered
370 Posts
slo007 said:
Thank you dgstan. Is there a limit to the number of songs/playlists the DICE unit will interface with the car? I read somewhere the VAIS unit has a 999-song limit, and that all songs have to be in a playlist. is this the case with the DICE product?
I'll tell you how I use it. I've been so happy with it that I haven't really played around with other methods.

I have one master playlist that has every song on it. I then choose "Shuffle Albums" on the Ipod. The unit then plays complete albums all the way through, like a giant (in my case 40GB) jukebox. This way, I just "set it and forget it". If you want to select a specific album, you can do that via the Ipod. I would imagine you could not use playlists and select a single song/album to play via the Ipod, but once that song/album is done playing, the music would stop until you chose something else to play.

I believe the 999 song limit has to do with display anomalies and not with actual capacity issues. I have thousands of songs on my Ipod and haven't had any issues. I also have a Nano and it behaves the same way as my 40GB 4th Gen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got the Dice through a special deal at priuschat.com for about $135. I am really happy with it. I can view the song titles and control it though the steering wheel. I did have to buy a ground isolation loop to connect my XM radio into the Dice unit also. The only thing I wish the Dice showed was the playlist name.

It was really easy to install, basically used the Vais directions. I have some picures of the install here -> clicky

·
Registered
370 Posts
slo007 said:
Thanks guys! I'm getting one of those DICE units then.
You'll love it, and it's a breeze to install. Don't even think of paying someone to do it. It'll take 5 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.