Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering--we use a Motorola V500(?--not my phone, my husband's so I'm not sure of the model) and it's programmed into the car and works beautifully when someone calls--press a button on the steering wheel and answer. However if you want to call someone and you access the address book (downloaded one addition at a time, but successfully!) you have to pull over to make the call. Otherwise all the entries are grayed out. It seems to me to be a lot more dangerous to pull over to the side of the road to make a call rather than just press a button on the dash.
Is it normal to not be able to access the address book and dial while driving?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The phonebook is greyed out while driving.

The one-touch phonebook (18 entries I think) is still available to press while dialing. (The phone number is greyed out, but the name will still show up. if you don't have a name, you have to memorize who is on the position #)

Depending on your phone, you should still be able to use the phone's keypad/phonebook (and have the call picked up on the Prius), or the phone's voice dialing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry I'm a little late with this. In the Prius there are two full phonebooks holding hundreds of numbers and then three smaller books called "One Touch" which hold 18 numbers. When you're moving, the numbers in the two main books gray out rendering them useless while driving. However the One Touch books do not gray out and you can call these numbers wihile driving and moving. Following some poorly written instructions in the manual, you will be able to transfer 17 numbers from your two main phone books to your One Touch books. I use them all the time. There six numbers in each of the One Touch books for a total of 18, but the entry in what might be termed "slot six" of the first One Touch book displays the number of your last outgoing call, whatever it happens to be, so you can call that number again. I guess you could call it readial. Good luck. You can do it, but the instructions will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Or you could just bypass the deal which stops you from dialing out. There is a thread around somewhere that explains how to do this. I have done it, and now can use all the features of the screen, while driving.

It's a matter of touching the screen in a sequenced way. You do have to 'reset' this every time you start the car again, but it's really easy, and I have even done it while driving. With it disabled, you can type in address (or have your passenger do it), while on the road...and also dial the phone.

Well, good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Or you could just bypass the deal which stops you from dialing out. There is a thread around somewhere that explains how to do this. I have done it, and now can use all the features of the screen, while driving.

It's a matter of touching the screen in a sequenced way. You do have to 'reset' this every time you start the car again, but it's really easy, and I have even done it while driving. With it disabled, you can type in address (or have your passenger do it), while on the road...and also dial the phone.

Well, good luck.
Hmm, I've been using the Menu/Volume/Touch Upper Left, Lower Left, Upper Left, Lower Left/Override sequence and it frees up the Nav system, but not the phone. Is there another sequence you're using?

I dial from the phone handset while in motion, but this still leaves the annoying delay where the person I'm calling is connected before I am.

A way around this without using an installed hack/mod, such as Coastal Dave's Nav Mod w/BT cable, would be great.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:

Well, good luck.
I think you are mistaken on this one, although if you can produce the link, I would most happily retract this.

The sequence of presses I believe you are referring to enables the use of the NAV system, but the phonebooks are still disabled.

I don't believe there is a soft solution to the phonebook override.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I know I am spitting into the wind, but what the heck.

Dialing while driving? How about ... DON'T!?
:roll:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Some day (probably not) the legislature will pay attention to all the insurance statistics, State and local police accident reports Ect; and outlaw the use of cell-phones in a moving car.
We will all be a little safer on the highways then as a huge distraction to driving a two to four thousand pound car 60 MPH is removed.

"What a horrible inconvenience that will be." All that wasted time!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
phone dialing

Yes TJ and Genesis, please tell us how you are able to use the phone while driving so we all can know the trick! Thanks very much! Agile

·
Registered
508 Posts
hyperion said:
We will all be a little safer on the highways then as a huge distraction to driving a two to four thousand pound car 60 MPH is removed.

"What a horrible inconvenience that will be." All that wasted time!!
Yeah! Let's take radios out too! I'm just too tempted to sing along!
And A/C! Can't be fiddling with those controls while I'm driving!
And kids! Leave 'em at home! Too distracting!
Heck - passengers altogether! If it's unsafe to talk on the phone, then it's unsafe to converse with someone sitting next to you!

(Sorry - I'm too much of a libertarian on this one. I feel perfectly confident driving safely and talking handsfree at the same time, and I would vehemently protest the gummint's trying to take that freedom away.)

·
Registered
393 Posts
nh_jim said:
TJandGENESIS said:

Well, good luck.
I think you are mistaken on this one, although if you can produce the link, I would most happily retract this.

The sequence of presses I believe you are referring to enables the use of the NAV system, but the phonebooks are still disabled.

I don't believe there is a soft solution to the phonebook override.
I may be mistaken on this. This link I read said that it disabled all the problems with the phonebooks as well.

Since I don't have the Bluetooth, I just assumed that the link was correct. I know that it works for the NAV, as the post suggested. I can see that the post may have been incorrect.

Okay?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I believe the work around that TJ is talking about is the one for the NAV lockout override. That is a matter of tapping in secret places until the MFD giggles and gives you whatever you want. But I've not read about a bluetooth dialing override.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Well tomme, the statistics seem to prove you wrong. Ask any cop and I don't mind as long as we don't drive the same streets.
Nothing in the statistics about the radio, C.D. A/C ect; just the cellphone use. Who knows? maybe all those people in accidents while on their cell phones were just accident prone and would be involved anyway, but the guy that pulls out in front of me while talking on a phone or lighting a cigarette or taking a sip of coffee does bother me although I still will use my ABS to do my part in keeping him accident free.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm going to regret poking my big blunt nose into this, but I've observed that 80-90% of the time when I want to kill another driver, if I look carefully, that driver is intently talking on the phone. Sure, hands-free is better, but I try to limit calls when I'm driving to the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
...but I try to limit calls when I'm driving to the absolute minimum.
How far away is the absolute minimum from your house? Takes me a long time to get there, mostly because I have to keep looking at the map. ;) Don't you use phone when you're going anywhere else?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some people can drive, hold a conversation on the cell phone, change the radio station, look at the nav, and drink their coffee while driving (not all at the same time, but all while on the cell phone). They just can ... it really is just a luck of the draw from the gene pool. Others shouldn't put their fingers near any extra electronics while they are driving because they simply need all their brain power dedicated to the road.

The problem occurs when people don't police themSELVES. Sometimes I can be cruising down the highway in the travel lane contently not passing anyone while talking on the phone. I can also pass people and use my blinker and merge and exit while on the phone. There are some cases, however, involving heavy traffic or complicated turns and traffic lights that require my full attention, so I put the phone down. People need to realize when they need to take their hands off the phone and focus on the road.

I also have found that hands-free doesn't help me at all, except that it gives me a free right hand (that I don't use when driving except to put on the arm rest). Unless the state DMVs decide to require everyone to pass a "Cellular Road Test," the three options are, 1) People hit cars cause they don't have enough self-control to put the phone down, 2) Phones are banned, thus resulting in a huge anti-prohibition outbreak of insolence, or 3) Officers continue to find people that are driving erraticly or without full control of the vehicle and ticket them harshly. Very harshly. Like, three-months cell phone bill harshly.

·
Registered
508 Posts
hyperion said:
Well tomme, the statistics seem to prove you wrong. Ask any cop and I don't mind as long as we don't drive the same streets.
Nothing in the statistics about the radio, C.D. A/C ect; just the cellphone use. Who knows? maybe all those people in accidents while on their cell phones were just accident prone and would be involved anyway, but the guy that pulls out in front of me while talking on a phone or lighting a cigarette or taking a sip of coffee does bother me although I still will use my ABS to do my part in keeping him accident free.
And what statistics are those? Are there seriously statistics that show whether a driver was chatting with their passenger at the time of an accident, with comparisons to cell phone- related accidents? Yes, there are studies SPECIFICALLY and ONLY about cell phone usage in accidents. These will naturally reflect when phone usage was a contributing factor. I haven't seen studies about other activities people partake in while behind the wheel.

To quote Mark Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

I've also seen studies that say handsfree phone usage is much safer than talking on a phone you have to hold to your ear while driving. And since the Prius has handsfree capability, that's what I'm talking about.

Further and finally, I continually find it fascinating that today's "conservatives" are really activists who love to legislate behavior, as you suggest in your first post in this thread. Historically, wasn't conservatism about personal freedom and limited government intervention?

·
Registered
393 Posts
UPDATE, of sorts. I went out and got a T--MOBILE Phone with the Bluetooth today...And it is very nice. Works well.

It seems that I have to manually activate the Bluetooth from the phone each time I get in the car.

Otherwise, it's fine.

Is there a way for the phone to seek out the connection by itself?

And, tonight, I will see if the override works, but I think it won't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Is there a way for the phone to seek out the connection by itself?
I have two phones that connect automatically (not at the same time), and I don't recall doing anything special to make that happen. Once you have them set up and have Bluetooth turned on the car and the phone, it should just connect when they are close enough to each other when the car is on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts