Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
"I recently drove up to the NAIAS (North American International Auto Show) in Detroit in Januay from Birmingham, AL in my 05 Package 4 Prius. "
Interesting commentary. TY
Only a fool is enjoying Detroit's current slump.
Any other impressions about the Prius as X country transportation..?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Prius was much more comfortable than any of my other vehicles on such a long trip. I wasn't sore or worn out when I got to my destination.

The 20MPH Crosswinds really ate up the gas mileage. At times we were averaging 38MPG. On the trip up we managed 43.5mpg and 51mpg on the way back.

Its the first car at the house considered for a long trip. My Prius is 1 year old today and I am considering buying a second one for the household. The reliability and practicality of this car is hard to beat. My wife has mothballed the SUV and has taken over the Prius. She is tired of spending a great deal of money in gas especially when its her money.

In summary to my long earlier post, I'm tired of seeing the US automakers playing catch up to the rest of the market when it comes to technology, fit and finish, styling and customer service. I know there are a lot of things holding back the US automakers and hopefully they will get them sorted out.

We have the talent and the ability to produce cutting edge vehicles that people will want to buy. I would like to see the US automakers get it together and retain their talented engineering and design staff before they loose more of them to their suppliers and competitors. Hopefully its not too late to turn things around.

I will shorten my future posts.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, Hybrid1,

I had read your earlier post before you deleted it & didn't find it too long. On the contrary, I found it quite interest'g & informative. Glad your trip went so well & that you're consider'g another Prius (or Camry HYBRID?). I might consider a Sienna HYBRID van (for my wife's dog shows) when it comes out because I'm so thrilled with my 7-month old Prius.

Keep warm down south! I wish I were down there too, instead of being up here in Connecticut with 12 inches of snow in my yard & snowfall in the western part of my state at 27 inches & still haeding my way.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have considered the Camry Hybrid for my mother. She currently has a 2002 Camry LE 4cyl which has been great. She loves her car, but I'm wondering how the Toyota Hybrids do if they sit for large amounts of time. She does not have a garage where she lives in Atlanta, so putting a trickle charger on the accessory battery will not work. Her current Camry is 4 1/2 years old and has only 27,000 miles on it. She doesn't drive much. My Prius takes a while to get back to its normal mileage after it sits for a week, about 2 days of commuting or 1 good day of driving all over the place.

Anyway, I find the Prius more comfortable than the Camry. Mom has driven the Prius and loved it, but would prefer to be in the Camry.

I like the Highlander Hybrid and I am able to get the city numbers out of it quite easily. I have driven one for a day and was happy with it. I'm curious to see how the Sienna will do. Maybe Toyota can come up with a super HSD setup for their trucks that will rival their gasoline powered sisters.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Howdy Hybrid1

I had a similar experience on my Holidays 750-mile "round trip" to see my extended family. The crosswinds really hit the MPG's hard - like down to ±38 MPG in the East/West leg with a noticeable South crosswind - I'd estimate at +30 MPH. This contrasted to 54.5 MPG on the final South/North leg (240 miles) with negligable wind and cruising at 70-75 MPH. The first leg (North/South) averaged ±51 MPG.

In my first 15,000 miles I have consistently realized much better mileage in Freeway travel than "in town," contrary to the so-called EPA ratings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.