Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been having quite a bit of difficulty lately with student loans catching up to me quickly, so decided to try something new. I am in a desperate position because I need to purchase a car but I have no money and only make enough to pay for what I owe. You can read the rest of my story at a page entitled http://www.danscarfund.com where you will come to understand my request. I'm trying to find people willing to share as little as five dollars to help an honest, (typically) decent human being get back on the road and back into a car he loves (Toyota).

Anyway, thanks much for your time and for reading.

~ dan ~

·
Registered
420 Posts
First, find an honest dealer that isn't trying to charge you $31,781. Then, buy a used classic Prius from that dealer, and save up for a new car when you can afford it.

I'm actually sympathetic to your plight - student loans have become much more onerous since I was in graduate school. But I will be very surprised if your plan bears fruit, especially since there seems to be no way at the moment to insure that the money we so generously donate :twisted: actually goes towards a Prius.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an honest dealer would be wonderful. that's very close to the out-the-door price here in alameda county, california for a loaded package #7 vehicle. If i made it to $10,000 in donations i could manage to get the car, but i'd have to sell my only asset which is a (in today's fuel market, useless) 1965 mustang convertible in fair condition.

I was planning on having a custom paint job done on the underside of the hood or somewhere else discreet (embroidered into the headliner, maybe?) of all the names of contributors if i received donations. i donated to the cause of building two buildings on my university campus; it's ironic nobody is willing to do the same for a private party looking to be eco-friendly, y'kno?

thanks for the advice, though.

moreover - to prove the donations bought the car, i would, of course, use the paypal check to buy the car then post the receipt!

~ dan ~

·
Registered
7 Posts
So why can't you buy this car yourself? Do you not want to get rid of your classic mustang?
Morelos' Mustang
What about that 2001 Prius?
Morelos' Prius
There's apparently another Mustang there too.
If you are so in debt, as you claim, I think you need to take care of other problems first, and then worry about buying a car. It looks like there are enough cars there to drive, even if they are your parents.
Your website also does say that you are a grad student or a high school teacher, depending on your mood, and you're asking for $31,000+? Nothing like getting the top of the line while you are at it, getting it quickly via a dealer that is ripping you off?
I'm not trying to be argumentive, but you're going about it the wrong way, and what you are doing is not exactly the way to make people respect you.

·
Registered
455 Posts
OK, so you make at least about $47,000 a year -- as that is the lowest paid teacher in the Hayward Unified School district (although you didn't say you taught at the public school, I'll start somewhere). Not including if you are so industrious, summer school or if you have beyond the bare minimum number of credits. That works out to about $3,900 a month before taxes. If we take out 25% for taxes and CTA dues, that is still $2,900 a month. You already said you live at home, and so we don't have to include a mortgage or a reasonable rent payment (if it was reasonable or above, why stay at home?). Then let's take those student loans of yours, $23k right? Even at 6%, which is high for student loans, with a 10 year payback it equals $255 a month. Heck, at 10% it is still only $304. Heck, at 10% and a rapid 5 year payback, it is still only $488 a month. So how can you not afford the Prius?

You must be really throwing money away on something to be in such dire straights financially. What else do you "owe?"

Strange to me to not mention what school you teach at.

And who the hell is charging you $31,781 for the car? Hayward Toyota will only charge you MSRP. Plus Fees. Even if you get the loaded one at $26k that still leaves $5k. And if you are scapping to buy it, maybe you shouldn't get the loaded one. You want people to pay for you to have Nav? I mean I have it and I love it; but I didn't beg for the $ on the web.

Still, let's say you really can't afford the Prius for some reason, you are the one who supposedly teaches math not me. Fine, don't get it, it will never pay for itself in gas savings. Get a loan for 10-12k and get a nice used stick shift Civic. Just a few years old. You will get outstanding mileage, great reliability, cheap to insure. In a few years, when you are making more, you can trade up. It may be many car purchases before you can buy a new car, but that is life for most of us. If you still want to go hybrid, get a used Insight. A lot less cash than $31k and will be cheaper to insure I am guessing.

Oh and the payment for a 72 month loan at 5.95% for 6 years on your inflated price of $31,791.09 is $526. That is with no money down.

Get a cheaper car, live within your means. If, as I strongly suspect this isn't a total scam from the get go.

Spike

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm a teacher.

My parents were a working family too that couldn't pay for my college. I put myself through college. I worked nights and summers and I lived at home and used my parents' cars. That was their way of helping me. Free room and board and transportation. And when I got a job I still lived at home for another two years and saved my money so I could buy a car and pay for an apartment. I understand your situation, but you are going to have to be patient and you are going to have to do your homework. Which you have not done. At least not a thorough job.

Join your local educator's association. They have financial planners and may have other services that may even include buying a new or used car. I would suggest you see their financial planner about paying the student loans with money enough left over for normal expenses AND setting up a TSA (the special one for teachers) asap even if it's only $50 a month. As your career progresses you can increase the amount. You'll find if you start young and small you'll be able to retire at 58. I know you may not be thinking about it now, but take my advice and do it. You may also be able to join CostCo at a discount through your association. In some areas they have a car purchase agent to help you get discounts. If you do not have one already, plan on starting your master's degree in about four years. Don't get it in curriculum. Get it in administration, counseling or technology. Curriculum will only get you credit on the salary schedule, it won't actually lead to anything or help you advance. In the mean time take any classes offered by the district in which you can get credit. That will slowing move you up the salary schedule.

And talk to your credit union if you have one. If you don't, join the one that works with the association. If you're already a member and your district allows it....do direct deposit of your paycheck. They are more apt to approve a car loan if you have a contract (in other words, you're not a sub) and do direct deposit and arrange to pay the loan with automatic transfers. That way they're assured they'll get their money. Even if you're still probationary...you teach math...the district is not going to pink slip you, not even for budget cuts.

I would also suggest you do some internet searching for another dealer. Even if you have to drive a bit. Even if you have to drive down to San Diego (where I am) where the dealers will not rip you off. They do not charge above MSRP down here. Don't know about used Prii down here but I see them on eBay and they're a little more than half of the $31,000 you quote. Which BTW is outrageous. I don't know where you got that number but that is about $3,000 over the sticker on a package #6. Which you shouldn't be looking at. You should be looking at an package#1 basic model. And no leather, no other add on stuff. You can't afford it. The sticker on mine was about $22,000. If you can't afford to buy the car on your own, you certainly shouldn't be looking at a package #6, which BTW doesn't cost $31,000, not even with taxes and registration.

You're a teacher. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. I did. I started looking at cars and test driving in November 2004. I bought my Prius April 6, 2005. And I didn't buy all of the bells and whistles. I don't need all that stuff. I got a 2005 package #1, I paid sticker, and the salesman threw in a cargo tote. I wasn't on a waiting list. I just went (without an appointment), took a test drive and bought it off the lot. I'll get a few thousand for my Saturn when I sell it. I had already arranged my loan with my credit union in advance. But I didn't have to buy a car. In fact, I walked away from the first dealership before the test drive. I know you want a new car but you need to tell yourself you don't NEED a new car. Right now you have food, shelter, transportation and a steady job. You are way ahead of the game. If you don't buy this car you won't die and life will go on.

Don't buy the extended warranty at the dealer or anything else they try to sell you.

Consider a used Prius. You should be able to get a used Prius in the teens or about half the price you were quoted.

Again...do your homework. There's plenty of info on the net on how to buy a car and not get taken. You've chosen your car, now you need to learn how to put your plan in motion. Asking strangers for donations isn't going to do it. At the rate you're going, you're looking at a 2012 model. If you stay at home you could pay off your student loans and pay cash for the car long before then.

I don't think you've done your math.

And for anyone that wants to look it up, here's the salary schedule for Hayward Unified School District: http://www.husd.k12.ca.us/salary_sched_cert.htm

You make $47,000 a year. If you live at home you should have your loans paid off in one year. You should be able to save for the car in another. You want a new Prius? You want all of the options? I suggest you look at a 2007 model. In the meantime, pay off your loans, save your money, wait patiently and thank your parents profusely for allowing you the luxury of room, board and I dare say probably free laundry services as well.

Kiss your mother.

Mow the lawn and help your Dad with the house. If you're lucky, it will be yours someday.

Set aside some money to compenate them for your free ride. Pay for the car insurance and keep the tank full.

You make twice what I did when I started teaching. The top of your salary schedule is higher than San Diego Unified School District and we're one of the least affordable cities in the nation. I'm afraid I can't work up much sympathy for your situation.

Refund the $12 that's been donated, thank everyone and tell them you're going to earn your Prius by working, saving and being patient.

·
Registered
344 Posts
1. Um. You're a grad student right? DEFER YOUR LOANS. They do that ya know. Until you're out of school.

2. I also had to pay my own way. Guess what? I'm even a grad student myself! I was kicked out of the house when I graduated high school and nobody gave me rent money OR a free car to drive. Ever. My husband got the same treatment so we both got nothing. There are many people out there who had it much worse than you. Quit whining.

3. You have a job. I don't. I get a starvation-wage living allowance from the government training grant I'm on. Yes, my husband has a job too, but we went $13,000 into debt just to buy the equipment he needs to be able to perform basic stuff- and he will be needing another $5000 worth of stuff soon. And there's no deferment on that. Not to mention certification fees and such. We have just broken even on that. Our total yearly income doesn't even break the $40K mark.

Yet we bought a Prius last month. How does that work you ask? You suck it up and budget your money and buy what you can afford. I found we could afford a new Prius, although not fully loaded, and still pay the bills every month.

Maybe you don't need a new car right now, even if you want one. Look up Want and Need in the dictionary and learn the difference. Buy something used. There are too many people out there who have had it plenty worse who will not pity you.

Considering where you come from is certainly much better than where my husband or I came from... you have a good paying job... you have no rent payment and hence probably no cable, phone or electric bill... all I can say is you're making a bad name for all of us man. I never begged for anything. I worked my tail off and earned it.

Oh yeah. And I'm only 22 years old. It can be done.

My point: quit complaining, you're pretty spoiled, and apparently have a superiority complex if you think you NEED a brand new car. :roll:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, Alameda County......OK.

First sell the 65 Mustang and use that money to buy the Prius. Asking others to donate to your casue so you can keep your Mustang is way over the line.

It would bever even enter my mind to ask others to pay for my needs. Nobody donated for me to buy anything, ever.

Get a job, earn money, invest money and start making the right choices to become self-sufficient. I am extremely disappointed that you come from CA and are asking others to pay for your car! Grow up and stop acting like a 10 year old that wants a bicycle.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Anyone remember those scams at the train station/bus depot where the well groomed man in business suit forgot or lost his wallet, or didn't have train/bus fare to get home (or to job interview)? He'd ask stranger for a couple of dollars. Clearly not pan handling - too well dressed. Must be true, then, that he's just short a couple of bucks. The guys would rake in thousands.

Smells familiar...

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: GOOD GRIEF.. I agree with efusco completely. Sounds very much like a SCAM... and I get enough of those on eBay and other online activities.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Scam or no scam, you must have deduced that forum members aren't dummies and will give thoughtful responses, nearly all of which put the responsibility back on you. I have 2 daughters who need to pay back student loans which we've even offered to help on. One has now taken out extra loans as she is pursuing a doctoral degree. But both realize the expense of a car--gas, upkeep, license, city stickers, etc. Neither wants to go even more into debt at this juncture and are relying on public transportation and an occasional borrowing of our cars. Living at home, having a job, good salary, and even another car make you a perfect candidate to work out your own financial situation. Budget it out. If you're on the up and up, it can be done all by your little lonesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't own either car. they are property of my folks who allow me to drive them. my insurance costs are blistering and would be worse (unaffordable) due to a citation i received a bit back if i financed a car. i would have to -beg- to sell their mustang.

scam? no. guy who can't afford an auto loan? yes. thanks for being offensive instead of constructive in discussions of better solutions than the one i've suggested.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
morelos said:
...scam? no. guy who can't afford an auto loan? yes. thanks for being offensive instead of constructive in discussions of better solutions than the one i've suggested.
I thought several of the suggestions for how to afford the car for less than $31k, and on a teacher's salary, and over time, were quite constructive. If "offensive" means that we didn't reach right into our pockets to donate, then I'm near the top of your list of offensive people. But you really didn't expect us to, did you? Have a bake sale if you want strangers to give you money. Otherwise, don't swat at the several people who offered recommendations, and real life accounts of how they managed to purchase their own cars.

I still think it's a scam, but that's me.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sanny said:
I still think it's a scam, but that's me.
There's nothing wrong with a good scam, as long as you're honest and up front about it.

Like I've always wanted to create a wepage to list "people dumb enough to dontate money to just get their name on this webpage"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the thing is, it's not a scam. i'm in a tough place (not an impossible one) and want the help. i also don't think it's unreasonable to do.

i can't defer student loan payments because i'm not taking more than half-time.

moreover, every time a "bum" asks me for money, i hear out his or her story and give them a couple bucks regardless of how well-rehearsed it is. even if they go buy a bottle of cheap vodka with it, at least it'll keep them warm. karma is a tough thing to keep. i'm going to put the page back up online and hope that people will continue to donate to my cause. i don't want to finance, but i will if i have to.

you can yell and complain and call me a jerk or whatever; i just want help buying a new prius. i was thinking about having the contributors' names embroidered in the headliner.

trust me; if you think this, or a guy asking for money on the street, is a scam, you live a sheltered life.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you considered you have to pay taxes and registration fees and how about GAP insurance? Or are Mom and Dad going to help? :roll:

It's your own fault for getting a citation. Again, no pity for you.

Can't afford a car loan? My husband got a fixer-upper 1987 Toyota Camry for $1000. We saved for a couple months and bought it with cash. It drives great. Needs a little work but most used cars do. And he is happy with it.

There are too many people who made something out of nothing in their own lives to feel bad for you. I am one of them. I've been self sufficient since the age of 16, no joke.

How about my friend who has a 4 year old and an ex-husband who decided to leave town without telling anyone or paying child support? How about my other friend who went into bankruptcy taking care of his younger brothers after their mom died? Don't they deserve a little more than spoiled grad student/teacher living at home? :evil:

Get over it man. You have it so good that you can't acknowledge it.

Go thank your parents and search the used car ads. :roll:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
morelos said:
moreover, every time a "bum" asks me for money, i hear out his or her story and give them a couple bucks regardless of how well-rehearsed it is. even if they go buy a bottle of cheap vodka with it, at least it'll keep them warm...
Well, we differ there, too. Frequently when someone in the city asks me for money to buy a meal, I buy the meal (soup, hot dog, burger), rather than give money for cheap vodka. That way I know the money went for the meal.

What I'm not clear on, and forgive me if I'm missing your point, is why the first car you own for yourself needs to be a brand new top of the line Prius? Why not a beater civic? Why not a used corolla? Why not something you can afford? You'll get decent gas mileage if you are careful what you choose.

Several folks have made suggestions how you could go about saving money for a car. Sounded reasonable to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You need a car? Here's a car.

You need wheels?

I'm selling my 1996 classic Saturn SC2 coupe for $3800. It has less than 50,000 miles on it, runs great and gets in the 20+ mpg. It may not be a Prius but it runs and is reliable.

I'm sure you can scrape up $3800 on your salary.

I agree with the previous poster. Your first car doesn't need to be a new, top of the line Prius. If you can't afford to buy the car, you can't afford the tax, license, insurance and yearly registration.

Live at home, pay off your debts and save.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS !! All 3834 members of PriusOnline have won a share of the Upper Eastonia National Lottery, which has just announced the fantastic prize of $80M, (yes, that is 80 MILLION dollars).

That means each of you can claim your prize of at least $20,000. CASH !!! simply by sending a certified cashier's check for $1,012. to cover the taxes.

We cannot export cash from Upper Eastonia without first paying the taxes, but we get the advantage of the VERY LOW tax rate of 5% for foreign winners !!

So act quickly. Do not let your claim expire. Send check to:

Lottery Scam
Upper Eastonia

and after you finished that, I got a bridge for sale. Which one would you like ? Golden Gate ?, Brooklyn ?, perhaps something nice in Asia. 8)

(the above is a work of fiction & a joke, for the amusement of my Prius friends)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts