Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - before anyone's head explodes, I don't mean decent (although I'm plenty happy with the mileage I'm getting).

I thought you all might like to see a snapshot of my consumption screen while coming home from Vegas. This picture was taken after coming down Cajon Pass on I-15 South. I think I took it as we went through Ontario or Norco. There's a freeway sign visible in the picture, but the quality is so crummy, I can't read it.

Anyway, 3 bars maxed out at 100 MPG, 1 at 80, 1 at 75, and 1 at 60. Not bad for a half-hour drive. If you're thinking that the battery is fully charged at this point, you'd be wrong. Going downhill, with Cruise Control set at 70, I spent a lot of the time in "stealth" mode, if you can believe it!.

South Orange County to Vegas at between 65-70 MPH, I got 48 MPG. Coming home, going between 70-75, I got 51 MPG. Going there, your net climb is about 2000 feet.

DGStan

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
The engine in the Prius is running at speeds above 41 MPH. The reason for this is that Electric drive motor is getting near it's maximun speed of 10,000 RPM. So inorder for the car to travel faster it needs the gas engine to start.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Jeffand said:
The engine in the Prius is running at speeds above 41 MPH. The reason for this is that Electric drive motor is getting near it's maximun speed of 10,000 RPM. So inorder for the car to travel faster it needs the gas engine to start.
The gas engine needs to be turning - but it is not necessarily burning any fuel...

(and here I was thinking that the subject was on MPG gained while playing the game Descent! That was a fun game, particularly for network parties, but watching all that 3D twisting and turning gave me motion sickness headaches...)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Consumption screen

Wow!! And I thought three 7"s on a Vegas slot machine was the only beautiful sight to behold!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Might I humbly suggest that it's a really bad idea for the driver to be taking photographs of the consumption screen while driving on a freeway (at what looks to be 64 MPH).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts