Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Delphi SKYFi2 satellite radio for Christmas and I need to know if it can be installed to interface with the touchscreen and steering wheel controls or if I need return it and get the model listed at http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm.

The radio was bought at BestBuy so I can have it installed there if it is a simple installation that can be done without a lot of guesswork. I am reluctant to have just anybody working on my car (I have found that people are very curious about how it works--I don't want anyone experimenting with my baby). Is it something easily done or do you recommend I take it to the Toyota dealership for installation? :?

2005 Salsa Red, package 5

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Interfacing with the touch screen can only be done with a 'toyota friendly' receiver. The Sky Fi, while a great unit, isn't one of those.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Interfacing with the touch screen can only be done with a 'toyota friendly' receiver. The Sky Fi, while a great unit, isn't one of those.
In fact, most aftermarket receivers have better features than the "toyota friendly" one, including showing the ENTIRE names of the artist and song. While they usually have to do this by scrolling due to the screen size, the Prius touch screen is large enough to show them with out scrolling. So what does Toyota & Pioneer do? Limit the XM screen to only 10 characters and NO scrolling. The standard Toyota screens display way more than that. I use my XM2GO MyFi between the Prius and my Miata.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I agree that the 10 character limit is absurd but I wouldn't trade the integration with the MFD, presets and steering wheel controls to fix that. But if I got one for XMAS, I would stick with it and I'm sure would enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
romad said:
melgish said:
In fact, most aftermarket receivers have better features than the "toyota friendly" one, including showing the ENTIRE names of the artist and song. While they usually have to do this by scrolling due to the screen size, the Prius touch screen is large enough to show them with out scrolling. So what does Toyota & Pioneer do? Limit the XM screen to only 10 characters and NO scrolling. The standard Toyota screens display way more than that. I use my XM2GO MyFi between the Prius and my Miata.
I agree...the touch screen is convenient, and precious little more... As far as I've been able to determine, that limit is a Toyota limitation. Pioneer never branded a model that used 10 characters... early on they were limited to 8 but very quickly switched to 16. It would be nice if there were an upgrade either to an ECU or the receiver itself. Maybe some day.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The skyfi2 is a really nice XM receiver. I'd just stick with it and use the RF interface if that is sufficient for your needs. The skyfi2 has a nice display and good controls for scrolling through all those channels.

From what I've seen, the XM and Sirius tuners that are available for installation in the Prius are very nice. The character limit is not a great thing, but if I were to install a permanent XM solution into my vehicle it would definitely be something which integrates with the MFD even though I might not be able to see an entire track label.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SKYFi2 XM Satellite Radio

Thanks for the great advice. I have decided to keep the SKYFi-2, but I want to clarify two things:

What is the RF interface?

Would this installation be straightforward enough to let BestBuy do it or do you recommend I take it to the Toyota dealership?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: SKYFi2 XM Satellite Radio

zbeck59 said:
What is the RF interface?
RF = Radio Frequency. Basicly it takes the audio from the sky-fi and transmits it on an unused FM station. To play XM over the car speakers, you tune your car radio to that station just like you would a normal radio.

There are roughly 2 categories of RF modulators.

One type doesn't require any wiring to the car, and relies on the car's FM antenna to pick up the signal. The advantage to this method is easy connectivity, and portability.

The other wires up "in-line" between the car antenna and the FM receiver.
The advantage to the inline one is the car antenna is disconnected while the RF modulator is in use. This cuts way down on interference from real radio stations.

In my Saturn I had the original Sky-Fi and the delphi RF modulator. The sound was good. The only thing that sucked about it was the RF modulator couldn't be hacked to also work with my MP3 player :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Melgish,

Thanks for the clarifying RF. I can't wait to have it installed. Do you think the install is straightforward enough for BestBuy to handle or do you recommend I have the techies at the Toyota dealership handle it?

By the way, how did you get the auto-door lock? I would love to have that feature because my last car had it and it is a great personal safety feature.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had Best Buy install my SkyFi audio kit into the Saturn. I'd say they did a passable job considering there wasn't a place to mount the receiver itself.

The only issue I had was that they charged me (I think it was) $70 for an 'adapter' which they said was necessary for all GM vehicles. Later I got to thinking...I never saw the adapter, and I find it hard to believe that Delphi, a major car part supplier would ship parts that wouldn't plug right in to a GM vehicle.

As for the Auto door lock, I got it from Coastal Dave. I think it was $10, and he installed it the same time he put in my XM system and EV mod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts