Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got a Delphi MyFi XM radio receiver and am figuring out where I can mount it in my car. Just wondering if anyone else has there and where you place yours.

Yes, I know the fancy XM reciever specifically designed for the Prius is better, but this is what I have. Also, the MyFi is portable so I can use it at work, at home, even while walking. I have not yet figured out how to place my Prius on my desk :)

Thanks

Maurice Frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
DELPHI XM RADIO INSTALLATION

I received a Delphi XM RoadyXT satellite radio for Christmas and it will be installed by a dealer here (Ottawa, Canada) Thursday (Jan 12, 2006). I'll tell you afterwards whatever the experience was, and how it was installed. Might help you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used the following in my Miata:

Arkon SR88 15" Flexible "Gooseneck" Steel Mounting Pedestal

I got it from http://www.myradiostore.us

On the few times I've used the MyFi in my wife's Prius, I put it in one of the cup holders. Oh, I did buy another auto base and antenna, but you could just stick the personal antenna to the wind shield.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the tip on the Akron car mount. It is out of stock now but I'll keep trying. Maybe a local car parts store has something like it. I'll look.

I am reluctant to attach adhesives to my dashboard, so I've been keeping the radio in the front-most cup holder. But that is not safe -- it will go flying and can cause harm if I have to stop short or am rear ended.

If I can get over the dashboard phobia, I am looking at the left side of the dash next to the steering wheel. I am right handed but can probably manage it there with my left hand.

Maurice Frank

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: Thanks

Maurice Frank said:
Thanks for the tip on the Akron car mount. It is out of stock now but I'll keep trying. Maybe a local car parts store has something like it. I'll look.

I am reluctant to attach adhesives to my dashboard, so I've been keeping the radio in the front-most cup holder. But that is not safe -- it will go flying and can cause harm if I have to stop short or am rear ended.

If I can get over the dashboard phobia, I am looking at the left side of the dash next to the steering wheel. I am right handed but can probably manage it there with my left hand.

Maurice Frank
Hmm, didn't the MyFi come with a vent mount? I can't use them in the Miata so I didn't look that closely, but I think I used the plate part with the Akron.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a portable Xm unit - so that I can listen to baseball games in the house! I had a professional install my until on the center post under the compartment/door under the radio. The face of that post is flat in the center and it looks great! My installer also wired it off the outlet that is right there so I don't have to plug in the cradle. I then ran a wire from the XM cradle to the second input in my AIC-100 and now I can listen to my ipod or XM without having to find a free FM station!

Good luck and enjoy. If you would like pictures of my install - I can try to get some over the weekend.
Christy

·
Registered
33 Posts
fmva said:
I also have a portable Xm unit - so that I can listen to baseball games in the house! I had a professional install my until on the center post under the compartment/door under the radio. The face of that post is flat in the center and it looks great! My installer also wired it off the outlet that is right there so I don't have to plug in the cradle. I then ran a wire from the XM cradle to the second input in my AIC-100 and now I can listen to my ipod or XM without having to find a free FM station!
My Delphi XM RoadyXT radio was installed this evening by Best Buy (Ottawa, Canada). On their recommendation, it was fastened between the radio and the right lower glove compartment on the silver air vent cover, below the air vent itself. No holes were drilled in the installation. The wiring was tucked inside the dashboard, and re-emerges at the lower power plug where it plugged into the accessory socket. The antenna was fastened just above the windshield in the centre of the car. The antenna wires were laid beneath the front windshield window seals. From there I'm not sure because it's entirely invisible, but I believe it feeds into the engine compartment (because the technician had the engine hood open), and then back into behind the dashboard.
All in all, it is quite good; the only visible wire is the power wire where it plugs into the accessory socket and then disappears into the dashboard. (He had to dismantle part of the dashboard.)

·
Registered
619 Posts
first off happy new year.. we've been busy with family things so I havent had time to check in..

I picked up 2 of the delphi units and installed them, myself. one in the durango and one in the subaru.

they are easy to install yourself so consider spending an afternoon with a cup of coffee and your car.

tip to install bracket to dashboard is to use a hairdryer to heat both the cleat and the dash before you use the adhesive so that it adheres better.

as for the power the delphi units use a 5v dc feed so you cant cut off the cig. lighter adapter. Go to your local autoparts store (shucks etc) and pick up a female cig. lighter socket with bare wire tails and tag it into your fusebox or other 12v source under you dash. then when you run the power for the radio you can hide the powercord and bury it in the dash. makes for a ncie clean install.

antenna best option is to pull out headliner and drill a hole., then route wire. if you dont want to do that second option is to get some black rubber trim from an autobody supply store and hide it under the trim.

I would be wary of any install that routed wire under windshield trim as it may channel water into your dash.

Prius would be best to come through back upper hatch and then foward.

antenna needs a ground plane/ field so you have to be 1-2 feet from any glass surface (basically middle of roof.

hope this helps.. any questions ask away,

·
Registered
257 Posts

Maurice Frank said:
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

The item from Pro Clip looks ideal. I think this is what I will try.

Maurice
Did you get the ProClip yet? I ordered the one for my Mazda Miata. Since the Prius is my wife's car and she doesn't listen to anything when she is driving, I decided to not get the Prius ProClip mount. For long trips, I'll just set the MyFi in the front lower cup holder. I may buy another antenna and install it, though. Where has anyone mounted an antenna and how did you route the lead up to where you have the MyFi (or SkyFi, Roady2, etc.)?

I was thinking of putting the antenna at the back near the am/fm antenna. I would then route the lead down around the hatch and in at the bottom, leaving a drip loop there. The question is how should I route it to the front?

·
Registered
33 Posts

romad said:
Maurice Frank said:
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

The item from Pro Clip looks ideal. I think this is what I will try.

Maurice
Where has anyone mounted an antenna and how did you route the lead up to where you have the MyFi (or SkyFi, Roady2, etc.)?

I was thinking of putting the antenna at the back near the am/fm antenna. I would then route the lead down around the hatch and in at the bottom, leaving a drip loop there. The question is how should I route it to the front?
I took my Roadie XT to Best Buy and the technician mounted it on the outside centre of the roof, running the antenna wire under the window seal, down the left hand window post, and through the dashboard. The unit was afixed to the silver vent to the right of the radio. The power line goes back into the dash at the vent and comes out at the power outlet, where the power plug is inserted.

It worked fine for about two weeks (full three bars of signal), but then the signal began to degenerate, until it stopped working completely. I brought it back this morning and the technician found that when he had threaded the antenna wire through the dashboard, he had inadvertantly scraped off some insulation, and the wire was shorting out. When he installed a replacement antenna, he installed the antenna receiver inside the left window post (beneath the air bag) under the glass of the front windshield. The advantage of this is that it is completely out of sight; the disadvantage is that my signal now fluctuates between two and three bars. However, there is no discernable loss of reception. So I am quite happy with this approach. With the antenna magnetically mounted outside the car, it was vulnerable to vandalism.

Leo
Ottawa, Canada

·
Registered
257 Posts
fish_antlers said:
antenna needs a ground plane/ field so you have to be 1-2 feet from any glass surface (basically middle of roof.

hope this helps.. any questions ask away,
The antenna in my Miata is on top of the Harddog Deuce roll bar behind me. Before that it was on the fuel door on top of the left rear fender. On the Harddog it is higher and I get better reception (except in a few areas when I have the hardtop on the car). Convertable tops make lousy ground planes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
xm install

I just got the Audiovox express XM radio. I installed it in the upper glove compartment. I installed the antenna between the defroster vent and the windshield (still gets pretty good reception, but I may move it). I drilled a hole in the left side of the glove compartment, through which I ran the dc power cable, cassette adapter and audio in cable. I ran the wires behind the vent to the right of the radio (got the instructions on how to remove the vent from elsewhere on this site). I ran a dual cigarette lighter adapter from the cigarette lighter behind the vent (I use the other cigarette lighter socket for a portable GPS unit). My ipod is kept in the storage bin under the radio, hole drilled on the right side.

It is a pretty clean install. All you can see when the glove compartment and bin are closed is the wire from the cassette slot straight across and behind the vent. It is pretty easy to open the glove compartment when changing channels with the remote for the xm. I just need to get a RF remote for the Ipod, and I am in business.

·
Registered
619 Posts
surprised no one else here has taken the suggestion I made of installing a female lighter socket behind the dash and burying the connector out of view. Not only is this more pleasing visually, but it also leaves the dashboard lighter socket free for use.

·
Registered
257 Posts
fish_antlers said:
surprised no one else here has taken the suggestion I made of installing a female lighter socket behind the dash and burying the connector out of view. Not only is this more pleasing visually, but it also leaves the dashboard lighter socket free for use.
Well in my case, the MyFi isn't a permanent fixture in the Prius; it is only used occaisonally on long trips a couple of times a year. For the Miata, I have a power supply that I'm going to hard-wire in later this spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts