Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed my order around Nov 15th. Left a deposit of $500, which I don't know why, because from what I read, you are only placed on a waiting list. That's all, a waiting list. Then they asked me to be flexible. I never ordered a car before, but I thought that when you do, you get exactly what you want in the car. Sort of defeats the purpose of ordering. I know this is a different situation though. People want the car, including me, but I have a new car already. It gets terrible mileage though. I was waiting to test drive the Prius before I ordered and I did. Now I am considering cancelling my order and ending my wait. I just feel silly waiting for the car like it is a piece of gold. I really have two cars. One new and the other ten years old. How many others are considering the same.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dion said:
I placed my order around Nov 15th. Left a deposit of $500, which I don't know why, because from what I read, you are only placed on a waiting list. That's all, a waiting list. Then they asked me to be flexible. I never ordered a car before, but I thought that when you do, you get exactly what you want in the car. Sort of defeats the purpose of ordering. I know this is a different situation though. People want the car, including me, but I have a new car already. It gets terrible mileage though. I was waiting to test drive the Prius before I ordered and I did. Now I am considering cancelling my order and ending my wait. I just feel silly waiting for the car like it is a piece of gold. I really have two cars. One new and the other ten years old. How many others are considering the same.
I too have been considering canceling my order. You said it best
I just feel silly waiting for the car like it is a piece of gold.
The Prius is, after all, just a car - no matter what anyone says. True it is a work of genius - but it is still a car nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sorry, I don't get it. It's been barely two weeks. It was widely known when you placed your order that waits would be on the order of months. You have a new car already. And now you come here to tell us you might cancel your order.

1)Why did you order it in the first place?
2)Why were you willing to wait 2 weeks ago, but you're not now?
3)Why did you come here to tell us? What input do you want from the group?

I completely understand the frustration of the wait. I waited 6 months from the time I put my money down until I got my car. At that time word was that it would probably be around August for delivery of the first cars, obviously that changed over time and it was Oct. 17th for launch. Was I eager to have my car--heck yea. Was if frustrating not having all the data I wanted...yup. But ultimately, to me, it was worth it.

Not b/c I'd placed some unrealistic value on the car (gold). But b/c I'd made an informed decision to buy it back in April. It made sense then and it still made sense 6 months later when it arrived.

Now, if you made an ill informed decison to buy 2 weeks ago, then it behooves you to cancel your order--only you can answer that, not us. If your circumstances have changed and your timeframe for needing the vehicle has changed (one car died, new driver, etc) then it behooves you to choose another vehicle you can have immediately. If you're just impatient and are an immediate gratification type of person then you're best off cancelling. Those are ALL decisions only you can make.

If you need more information to convince you what a great vehicle it is and why it's worth the wait we 'might' be able to help you, if you have specific questions, but there's a lot of data out there already and I assume you've already read it or don't care much what it says.

So, what can we do for you? :?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't need any convincing from the group. I am just wondering if others feel the way I do. And judging from the forum, others are frustrated also. You got yours, so that's why you feel different. What I am complaining about is being put on a listing list to accept any car that is delivered. IMO that's not an order. I only want what I ordered. And I am afraid I will wait months to be delivered something I don't want, like others have experienced. It's not like the car is cheap. I ordered package #9. Are they giving them away at sticker price?

·
Registered
53 Posts
frustrating wait

Know how you feel-I placed an order, or as I've come to understand, a 'preference' for my Prius before I even test drove one. This was back in August. I wanted to keep my MINI off the salted roads over the winter, and I loved the idea of an environmentally friendly car with room for my skis and dogs. Now that winter is here and my Prius isn't, I'm rethinking the whole process, too. I think the dealers were left out of the loop on a lot of stuff early on. For example, I ordered package option 7. Have since learned that package isn't available in my area. I then informed the dealer and he was clueless. At this point, I'm at the top of the list for the next allocation (grand total of two cars!), and neither one is close to what I 'preferenced'. Am seriously considering a set of snows for the MINI and waiting it out till 05 models are out. I know the dealer will have no problem selling 'my' car, and I really don't think Toyota cares about all the people in this situation either. They'll be able to sell as many units as they can build and ship at this point. It is only a car, after all, and the MINI is a blast; I was just hoping to save it from the salt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Ordering" vs "Waiting"

I don't know how "other" dealers are handling the inventory shortage. Our dealer doesn't know what models are coming until they are reshipped from Portland after arriving from Japan. They get VINs about a week before they arrive at the dealer.

They get an allocation based upon their support of the Prius Classic in past years.

Our sales rep would not allow us to put any deposit down on our requested vehicle until the dealership received a VIN matching our request. He put us on a list of requested primary and secondary color and option required. We are asking for a Salsa Red with AM (7) package.

Apparently, starting from the top of the list, they attempted to match incoming vehicles with client request. If they do not have a request for the model color and option that arrived, then they call those who have the same option request and see if they will take another color. (They called us for a white model with AM when it arrived since no Salsa Red had come in for two cycles. Most that arrived were with RW (1 - intermittent rear window wiper) option only. I only know of 8 Prius models that have come in and only two had option 7. (small market)

I suspect that if they don't get any defectors (from original request) then they canvas other "requestors" with higher number option packages and see if they would be willing to settle for a little less.

Most of the discussion on this and other groups seem to surround the BC (9) package. As you have read there is much speculation on whether there is a parts supplier problem or whether Toyota underestimated the overwhelming demand for the Prius and the navigation option.

I have kept our cars for an average of 15 years so a little wait time getting what I want is OK. Although, I sympathize with your frustration with the way that your dealer has handled the "order". If you are near a large market, I would spend some of this time calling neighboring cities/states and see what is available within a short plane ride. (Not an option from Alaska)

Raymond

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everyone Please CANCEL!

Don't take this the wrong way, but Lord it is great for all the other folks when you cancel your order! That means the rest of us will get our cars much sooner than anticipated... :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Talked to:

Ferris Toyota
634 Wabash Ave.
New Philadelphia, OH
330-343-7761
800-589-7761

Jim Schlemmer there sez that he has a Black, Pkg 8, for $23,922.

I want a Green, Pkg 7.

You never know.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
So there IS a New Philadelphia, Ohio? Glory be---and I thought Phila., PA-native W.C. Fields just made that up for convenience and nostalgia in "The Old Fashioned Way"---"Well, if it isn't my old friend Sheriff Prettywillie. How are all the Elks over in New Philadelphia?"

Back on topic: to all you guys waiting on your '04s---Keep the Faith! When I ordered my Classic '02, I was told to expect to wait maybe 90 days. My car came in exactly one month! So don't despair! The '04 is definitely worth waiting for!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you really think about it, if I cancel my order, it does not mean any of you will get your car any faster, as someone said. That is because I don't have an order, just a spot on the waiting last. Oh, they will speed up production because this poor little impatient being cancelled his spot on the waiting list. They will keep plugging along until they get them out. And we will keep on waiting. At best maybe someone will move up on the waiting list and pay for something they did not order. I still won't settle for anything less than what I ordered, I mean am waiting for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think we can all agree that ordering and receiving the 2004 Prius is a very frustrating process!

I think I have finally figured it out. It really all depends on where you live. I live in NC and unfortunately we in the Southeast Region must live with Jacksonville as our distributor. We don't "order" a Prius, we just put our name on the list to receive an allocated car. The cars are allocated to dealers with no regard as to color, packages or accessories desired by customers or dealers. My dealer put it best when he said "You either play or pass. I can sell "your" Prius within 30 minutes" I didn't take it as being hostile or uncaring just a statment of fact.

I have questioned my decision to accept my Prius, it does not have the pkg 6 I want and does have some port added options I do not want but have decided to accept the car. I was able to get the Salsa color I wanted and only the Toyoguard, rear bumper protection, 6 cd changer, homelink and self dimming mirror added at the port so I will pay around $1,500 more that base but the add ons due have some value and I did get a couple of the goodies.

Your decision of course but think about it. Just noticed in the WSJ today that China is now the 2nd (After the USA) largest petro user in the world - wonder if the price of gas will increase worldwide in years to come? If so you will kick yourself for not getting the Prius.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just noticed in the WSJ today that China is now the 2nd (After the USA) largest petro user in the world - wonder if the price of gas will increase worldwide in years to come? If so you will kick yourself for not getting the Prius

China has already realized officially their spike in oil imports, they've instituted a "CAFE" type law for '08 that mandates every unit sold be better than average! No BS like the US version where Cavaliers offset Suburbans.
Along with Linux and telling M$oft to stick their OS where it belongs![/i]

·
Registered
106 Posts
A representative at the dealership where I'm ordering tells me that they actually send orders to Toyota with the accessasory packages the dealer wants based on customer desires. That way Toyota knows what stuff to hang on the vehicles as they drive off the assembly line. That makes sense to me. Later, when the waiting lists are gone, dealers won't be stuck with cars that people don't want because they happen to be overloaded with extras. This representative also told me that all their waiting customers have ordered the package #9, the one that has everything. I happen to want package #9, but I'm a little skeptical that ALL the others want the same. In my experience I've learned that most of the accessories tacked on by manufacturers at dealer"s requests are usually extremely overpriced. For example $200 dollars for a set of floor mats that one can buy in auto stores for about ten bucks each. That's all right with me. Business is business. The accessories are high profit items and if I were a dealer I would certainly take advantage of an opportunity to sell extra things to eager buyers because that's the way to offset the lean times and stay in business. So now I'm thinking that those who ordered their Prius' with smaller accessory packages may wind up waiting a little longer. After all what dealer would sell units with smaller profits when he can sell just as many with higher profits? :wink: Whatshisname

·
Registered
81 Posts
Whatshisname - See my post above. It all depends on where you live. Also, don't get accessories which are added on at the port confused with the 9 packages which are done in Japan at the factory. There is a major difference in what you get and how you get it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spoke to my dealer today to learn how all of this is panning out. I too ordered a package #9 Prius. However, I found that the hold up is not going to be for those who ordered the lesser packages but more so for the package #9 customers.

It so happens that Toyota is having problems with the navigation system, hence less #9s becoming available. I kept my order as is but will take #7 should one come along.

The way it is working for most dealers now is by allotment. For example, my dealer is allotted 4 Prius' per month. When those 4 Prius' arrive, the first person on the list will have the pick of the litter. Anything passed is offered to #2, then #3, etc. If #1 should pass on all 4 Prius (to hold out for a better package) he/she will still be #1 when the next batch arrives.

Unfortunately this will make the wait longer for those down on the waiting list. It also seems unfair to the one who may have been the only package #6 ordered only to have it snatched up by those at the top of the list.

I am lucky, sort of, because I am #4 on the list. Perhaps I will get mine soon. :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oldfox: Thank you for your comments; however, I don't understand what you mean. What depends on where you live? And what do you mean when you say accessories are added at the port? You suggested that I shouldn't be confused by accessories added at the port. I didn't think I was confused. I never heard of ports adding accessories to cars that are being transported. Accessory packages #1 through #9 are installed by Toyota at the factory according to dealer's orders and Toyota charges the dealers a fixed price for them. The dealers then charge a higher price to the consumer which adds to their profit over the cost of the vehicle. The prices for accessories can and do vary among dealers. That's one of the ways they compete. For example, there is one dealer in particular who via the Internet is charging a little over $900 for a basic extended warranty. Some owners have accepted that deal and recommend it to the rest of us. My dealer wants almost $2000 for the same warranty which I do not plan to accept. Even the floor mats I mentioned in my earlier posting come from Toyota in Japan. That's how the mats exactly match the floor carpets; they're cut from the same supply lot. While Toyota may rely on other manufacturers for the accessories, global position receivers and CD disk players for example, it is Toyota who makes them available to us through their dealers. If you get a chance to read this and are inclined to, please give me an example of accessories that are added at the port. :? Whatshisname

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
whatshisname said:
Oldfox: Thank you for your comments; however, I don't understand what you mean. What depends on where you live? And what do you mean when you say accessories are added at the port? You suggested that I shouldn't be confused by accessories added at the port. I didn't think I was confused. I never heard of ports adding accessories to cars that are being transported. Accessory packages #1 through #9 are installed by Toyota at the factory according to dealer's orders and Toyota charges the dealers a fixed price for them. The dealers then charge a higher price to the consumer which adds to their profit over the cost of the vehicle. The prices for accessories can and do vary among dealers. That's one of the ways they compete.
Ok, if you look at the brochure and see what the options included with the individual packages are you are seeing what leaves the factory in Japan. Once the vehicle arrives in the US (for example) it is allocated to a specific dealership. If that dealership has a customer waiting for that specific package vehicle they then, in theory, contact that customer so see what "port options" they want added. There are several including the homelink auto-dimming mirror (for the lower packages that don't already include it from the factory), the floor mats, cargo net, rear-bumper applique, first-aid kit, wheel locks, etc. Those port options also have a MSRP, just like the various factory packages. The dealership can choose to charge the customer MSRP, over MSRP, or discount them, but those MSRPs are widely published. IF the dealership doesn't have a waiting customer they can choose which port options they want to add, then you're stuck with them when you buy the car (for the most part anyway--you can't pull off the applique, but you might be able to pull out the floor mats though most dealers would resist such a move mightily).

Also, you mentioned the Platinum Warranty--although that is something controlled by Toytota, it is sold by the dealership at the time of sale (or within 3 years after) Again, there is a MSRP for that that's widely published and it is a high profit item for the dealer, but you can buy it elsewhere and any time within the 3 years after you buy the car.

Clear?
--evan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Evan, thank you for your response. I think you're helping me with a term I never heard before. "Port" options. We always use "After Market" to identify parts and accessories supplied by others. Your explanation only affirms that accessories, all of which are supplied by Toyota incidentally, are simply switched around from package to package to complete customer desires or to make inviting deals. The important thing to remember is they are all supplied by Toyota. Toyota is the word. Toyota. For example, in my 2002 I realized several months after I bought it that I made a mistake in not buying the package that included the Global Position Service receiver and plotter. I learned that more than one manufacturer produces them, but dealers already have them on their shelves made available by Toyota anticiapating dummies like me who would learn later they should have one. I was warned that the work by dealers could be shoddy and that it would have been much better had it been done by Toyota at the time of manufacture. I assure you the '04 I am now waiting for has the GPS in Package #9 as well as the other things you mentioned such as cargo nets, first aid kits and whatever else. Nice hearing from you again. :D Whatshisname.

·
Registered
29 Posts
not to throw another log on the fire but....

he is right, port options are added "after manufacture" but before delivery. then there could be "dealer options, added at the dealership.

after markek is usually items available or added after delivery, like switching-out seats, or getting a different sound system from circuit city, or adding low jack, or a viper alarm system, or those funny neon light etc. generally aftermarket items are not coverd by manufacturer warrantee, and may in fact void the manufaturer warrantee

sid

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the call!

I received the call from my dealer. A Prius with package #7 will be delivered later this month and it is MINE! :D

Though I ordered a #9 I have accepted the #7 (everything else matches my original order) because it would be forever (or it would seem so) before the #9s will be delivered again.

Glad I did not cancel!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts