Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live in Central FL, where there are an obscene amount of "Godzilla-mobiles" (as Bill Maher puts it) on the road.

Yesterday, I watched in horror as an unfortunate driver in a white Prius had to deal with a hyper-agressive Hummer who kept creeping up on his rear bumper and then circling around to get into the lane in front of him and slammed on the brakes (among other bone-headed moves that pretty much endangered everyone else there). I had been on the road with these folks for a bit- beginning of Friday rush hour- and I can assure you that the Prius driver was simply minding his own business...

My question, as a future Prius owner, is this:

Has anyone here developed driving techniques that make them safer, or perhaps less of a target for the S.O.B.'s in SUV's?

Many thanks for the advice!
dznyskp

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Fortunately here in Vermont, people are pretty civil (and, there's less people). I'm sure I'd be fair game in a more urban area or on a major interstate, as I have a bumper sticker that says, "HYBRIDS KICK GAS", plus an anti-Bush sticker.

The best defensive move is to move over--if necessary onto the shoulder or off the road--when an aggresive driver tailgates or whatever. Just don't be sudden about it and be sure to use your blinker first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i live in miami.......& the people here are very obnoxious when driving...i was told that i should slam on my brakes when someone rides my tail... they flash those bright lights at me.......or their endangering themselves & others by talking on cell fones, etc.........however, since i have now learned to drive a prius......i will just simply ignore!......i will drive at the posted speed & keep my mileage up! i won't be in the fast lane......but i will allow those who want to pass, get around me....its only being curteous.....i have found that this certainly cures my old road rage habits ...by slamming on my brakes would only possibly cause an accident......& i want to keep me, others, & especially my prius- safe......i am simply having fun driving my prius.........those super-suv's can continue driving with their 5mpgs....& i will aspire for that epa mileage! :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just try to be a courteous driver. This means that I stay in the rightmost lane that is not doing under the speed limit. Other than that I just hold my ground doing the speed limit (mostly using cruise control) and haven't had any problems. I think you are asking for trouble if you drive in a lane where people are passing you on the right. If there is only one lane in my direction then I do go faster than the speed limit if that is what traffic is doing but won't go more than 5-10 MPH over it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hummm.....
I just drive my Prius very aggressively and have a "We love Bush" sticker
next to my "grass, ass, gas. Nobody rides for free" sticker.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
It sounds more and more like Florida is a stinky place to live. People are not only polite drivers here in New England (except in the rotories) but respect the desires of their neighbors selection of an SUV for their primary mode of transportation.
I wouldn't recommend the jamming of the brakes in a Prius. You just might discover how many air-bags you have.
Gotta remember however to rent an SUV on our next trip to Disney World! The econo sedan would have been my first choice until you warned us about Florida. (however, I'll bet the drivers you are complaining about are not natives and have moved in from other states.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the decade I've been trapped down here, I have only met a few "Natives" and they usually do warp speed in a pickup- but they don't bother anyone. The majority is from places where a turn signal means "I'd like to merge over, please!", for others the turn signal means "I'm comming over! This is your three-second warning!" Still, others are from countries where traffic laws are merely amusing suggestions....(as well as very lost tourists driving down the wrong side of the road).

Too many driving styles, too many drivers, not enough road....

I can't wait until I move back North- to civilization! :lol:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Defensive driving in a Prius ! Keep your speed with the flow-of-traffic, do not drive slower than the flow 'cause you want the MPG. Stay as much possible in the extreme right lane, if following vehicles stay clear of those tall Godzila-like SUV's with Dark Tinted-Windows. Move over so you can see at least 10 cars ahead. caution for the chain reaction brake lights. Step on the brake pedal softly when you see 1st brake light 10 cars ahead and expect chain braking. Stepping softly anticipating all the cars will stop ahead of you will regen-battery in your Prius ! To mention a few.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i certainly agree dznyskp
most of the people down here are NOT even from florida......they are from all over.......many nyers, californians, & believe it not......many from that curteous cape cod state!! i happen to work 4 an airline....& we have one of our hubs here....so there are many different transients!..... i cant blame it all on florida! i think in any big city, there is a sense of "rush".

·
Registered
199 Posts
Defensive Driving

I am in Southern California and find that the one problem I have experienced are the folks who get upset because I can use the car pool lane alone. I had a woman cut me off the other day! Still not as bad as it sounds in Florida. Pls you guys have big, creepy bugs there too! (not to mention hurricanes, time to move!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Always amusing to hear people generalize about whole states or regions based on anecdote. I've been in Tampa a couple of years after moving around quite a bit. I find the drivers to be pretty much like everywhere else (OK, except there are more 90+ year olds ;) ).

In Tucson the signature stereotype was a cheap pickup with a shotgun rack, or a pickup filled with illegal immigrants. In Wisconsin it was a beer-drinking cheesehead. I have been in Boston and seen more aggression than most other places. All are there to be seen, maybe 2% of the time. Bottom line: stereotyping is usually inaccurate and every place has its quirks.

Case in point: Tampa has been a great place to live - close to beautiful beaches, spectacular weather (hurricanes are horrible for 12 hours, true, but this year alone there were terrible floods in NH (11 dead), a tornado this morning in Indiana (15 died), blizzards every winter, etc. I'll be enjoying the al fresco lifestyle every day and loving it - sitting in the shade around the pool any time I wish, walking and jogging, beach trips here and there (red tide long gone), enjoying a diverse community and just living my life.

Got "issues?" I'd look elsewhere to blame them on besides the city you may be living in.

Live where you live. Enjoy the good things. Drive your Prius.

·
Registered
35 Posts
good for you rich!
i'm liking u already~~~ its horrible how people are so quick to tear down other places.....i guess there is a reason that florida is the vacation capital of the world !! i am originally from nashville.......& i do still love that place.. but its way too cold for me.....
i do love florida no matter what......the weather is nearly gorgeous year long & if i have to put up with a few hurricanes, then so be it..... we have had a rough yr & survived....but all that means, is that it can only get better! no matter where u are.......no matter what size the city......someone is bound to drive carelessly & even be obnoxious...... and yes tragedies of nature can happen anywhere.....so dont ever speak too fast! good luck in tampa, rich.....i hear its a wonderful place! 8)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I figure if someone wants to get around me that badly I just do my best to move over and let them pass, ASAP. That usually prevents further road rage on the person who insists on breaking 40 different traffic laws within a few miles, and whoever is in front of me can deal with them as they see fit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
dznyskp said:

Has anyone here developed driving techniques that make them safer, or perhaps less of a target for the S.O.B.'s in SUV's?

dznyskp
Prii are not TARGETS of SUV's. The incident you described could have been ANY car. Also, the drivers of Prii can be just as aggressive as others and become "part" of road rage. (though I suspect the odds are lower). Random crime exists everywhere (even Aruba) and you can't analyze everything you do or buy to prevent it.

That being said, avoid aggressive drivers, avoid dangerous locations (south central LA at 3am), avoid dangerous situations (drinking and driving or becoming intoxicated at a bar), NEVER let a criminal take you from your present location (you'll have to shoot me here cuz I ain't going with you). Take a self defense course (ladies, I recommend R.A.D.)

But not buying a Prius...I don't think so!

·
Registered
28 Posts
SgtKarl said:
dznyskp said:

dznyskp
Prii are not TARGETS of SUV's. The incident you described could have been ANY car. Also, the drivers of Prii can be just as aggressive as others and become "part" of road rage. (though I suspect the odds are lower). Random crime exists everywhere (even Aruba) and you can't analyze everything you do or buy to prevent it.

That being said, avoid aggressive drivers, avoid dangerous locations (south central LA at 3am), avoid dangerous situations (drinking and driving or becoming intoxicated at a bar), NEVER let a criminal take you from your present location (you'll have to shoot me here cuz I ain't going with you). Take a self defense course (ladies, I recommend R.A.D.)

But not buying a Prius...I don't think so!
Somewhat a sad...but true...commentary that legitimate fear of crime is as pervasive as the extent of criminal activity in USA. I wonder if they make an armored Prius yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts