Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live at the end of a long road, the other end of which is where my mailbox is situated. When I pick up my mail, and then drive up the road to my home, I don't put the seat belt back on and it's driving me nuts to hear that stupid beep-beep-beep and then the double-beeping.

Surely, there must be some way to defeat the seat-belt alarm?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
hyperion said:
When you say shift back from reverse to park, do you mean shift back from reverse to nuetral and then push the electronic park button?
just push "park"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fire Elemental said:
Want to get rid of the beep? Put your damned seat belt on. Lazyness is not an excuse for not being safe. I don't care how slow you are going.
I've noticed two different times that Mr. Fire Elemental has contributed sarcasm and negative attitude, whereas most everyone else has made positive contributions.

I want to thank the list membership for their generally positive support, and Mr. Fusco, in particular. The Prius is a really cool car, and I like that there are depths to it that invite exploring. I'm looking forward to the day when I can upload my own version of the views, perhaps skinned to my taste! Wouldn't that be cool?!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. Reckless drivers aren't just a danger to themselves, they are a danger to everyone else on the road. Of course I'm not saying you are a reckless driver. But anyway, I do have a point in that you should always wear your seatbelt and you shouldn't be fiddling with the nav system while driving.

Also, the purpose of forums is for people to post their opinions. Negative or positive. You need both sides of the coin.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Fire Elemental said:
Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. Reckless drivers aren't just a danger to themselves, they are a danger to everyone else on the road. Of course I'm not saying you are a reckless driver. But anyway, I do have a point in that you should always wear your seatbelt and you shouldn't be fiddling with the nav system while driving.

Also, the purpose of forums is for people to post their opinions. Negative or positive. You need both sides of the coin.
Opinions, yes, rudeness and not looking at the entire issue just so you can take make a point is not a necessary, though all too common, part of these forums.

1)He said it was for his driveway...for Christ sake, I'm as big a seat belt advocate as it gets. I'm an ER doctor and I've seen the ill effects of not using it. But I have a driveway that's about 100m long and I don't put my seat belt on for that short drive and the beeps annoy me even in that short distance. I haven't disabled it yet simply b/c if anyone else drives the car I want them to hear it. But I NEVER drive the car on any road without a belt and I don't need the seat belt reminder b/c I never forget. Disabling it would allow me to avoid listening to it on those rare occasions I go down my own driveway after picking up the mail.

2)Do you ever have a person in the passenger seat in your car?? I do in mine. When I'm traveling to a new destination more often than not it's with my spouse in the car. Being able to allow her to program in an exact address while we drive is not a safety hazard. I've had my NAV defeat switch for a long time and can't recall a single time I've used it while driving alone. I admit to once or twice dialing a phone number on the screen. Whether that's more dangerous than dialing on the phone itself is debatable. But stopping is NOT always an option and it's not always unsafe to perform those activities while driving. Conditions, driver skill and awareness, traffic and complexity of the task do.

I can promise you that it's a lot safer to have me dial a phone number on the MFD than it is for a lot of people out there to be trying to carry on a conversation with another person in the same car while driving. You can't legislate good driving. Some people are capable of safely multi-tasking, some aren't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got rid of the beep! yay!

efusco said:
Thanks, Mr. Fusco!!

The seatbelt beep and reverse beep are both cancelled. Yay!

Now, when I back out of my driveway, my Prius is really stealthy, without the reverse drive "beep". I leave for work at 6am, and the last thing I want to do is wake up the rest of the household -- or at least feel like I'm doing so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: Got rid of the beep! yay!

aks_sba said:
efusco said:
Thanks, Mr. Fusco!!

The seatbelt beep and reverse beep are both cancelled. Yay!
I followed these steps to the letter, but it cancelled the reverse beep only (which is all I wanted anyway). Perhaps it has to do with the build date (mine built June 2004)?

I have no issues with this as I've found the seatbelt reminder to be helpful to encourage my passengers to wear their seatbelts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the beep in reverse is cool. You can pretend you are a big truck
about to back over an SUV. :twisted: :evil: :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Got rid of the beep! yay!

kjb516 said:
I followed these steps to the letter, but it cancelled the reverse beep only (which is all I wanted anyway). Perhaps it has to do with the build date (mine built June 2004)?
Actually, the instructions for cancelling the seat-belt beep is slightly different than cancelling the reverse beep. For the latter, after holding down the ODO for > 10 seconds, you shift into R, then release the shift, then push Park. For the former, after holding down the ODO (for >10 seconds), you connect and unconnect the driver's seat belt. In both cases, the "B on" and "B off" appear, but apply to different functions, depending upon which "signal" was used to put it into that mode.

kjb516 said:
I have no issues with this as I've found the seatbelt reminder to be helpful to encourage my passengers to wear their seatbelts.
I don't drive anywhere unless all my passengers have their seat belts on. I don't need an obnoxious beep to remind me. But, to each his own. I'm glad that the Prius gives us each our preferences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts