Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I flip the steering wheel AC switch off, I end up with a default "off" of no fan. Since , at least this time of year, during the day, I use the AC (100F or so outside), but in the evening (55-60F outside), I'd like to use the fan.

When I click the AC off button, i have to hit the climate button, hit the LO fan button (which turns the AC on), hit the screen AC button (to turn it off again). Then I have to tap down the temperature to keep the heater off.

When I click the AC on, I have to tap the temp back up to keep from freezing.

Why can't it just put it back to where it was?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
To hear your description, it sounds like you have to leave about 10 minutes early just so you can set your temp. You have to realize there are people in this world with no buttons to push at all :? Sorry, this is a sore spot for me when it becomes labor to push a few buttons. Take my wife and kids for example, they are really good at turning things on, but for some reason they just can't figure out how to turn things off. Here is what I do when I want the AC on. Push the climate button, push the ac button, set the fan speed. That takes at most 5 seconds. I set the temp from the steering wheel. When I want the AC off, I push the climate button and push the AC button. I might change the fan speed at that point as well. Another 5 seconds. I don't really use the Auto AC all that much but when I do, I turn it on from the steering wheel and turn it off from the screen. If nothing else, this might save you a couple button pushes.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I second DanMan's suggestion.

Leave it in 'Auto', and just press 'Climate' then the 'A/C' soft-button to keep the automatic fan/temperature on, but turn off the A/C compressor.

I also agree with the 'don't know how to turn it off' principle. My wife and son are constantly unplugging things rather than use their power button in the house. (Fans, baby monitor.) We have one of those fancy X-10 systems to control the bedroom lights, and my wife insists on getting out of bed, walking to the lamp, and switching it off; rather than leaning over to her alarm clock and hitting the 'OFF' button. Meaning when I want the lights *ON* in the morning, I can't just hit 'ON', but have to walk over to the lamp (in the dark, with the inevitable pile of clothes/shoes on her side of the bed,) and turn its little knob. I mean, come on, knobs are so twentieth-century! :p

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Of course, this is all relative. Arent we fortunate to be able to gripe about air conditioning, instead of not enough to eat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Auto AC - What is it good for?

Yep. I never use that auto feature if I can help it.

Just my luck is that it kicks into high mode with the fans on extreme blast when I start the car, which is a scary start to any day. And as An04Prius said, it is just as likely heating than cooling - which isn't what I want to do!

And, unless I missed something (which I hope is the case) the Prius doesn't actually tell you what temperature it is in the car, only outside, so if you want to know what the Auto setting is going to do - you have to test all kinds of temps to find when it slows down to figure out the approx. temp. inside. Without an interior temperature setting, I find the auto setting rather ridiculous - ergo - maybe there is some way to know it and I just don't know how. Tell me it's so, guys...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
But (and I'm not taking sides now 8) ), my relationship with my alarm clock is such that I would not want to use it to turn the lights on and off either. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
To more easily change the temperature, without watching the MFD :shock: while driving, try using the voice recognition button on the steering wheel and then just say, assertively, "70 Degrees". I find that works pretty well.

What confounds me :x is: Why would they design the Prius to ALWAYS turn on the compressor (A/C MFD button in up-left corner) whenever I turn on the Heater??? I live in Michigan where we need to heat the car more often than cool it. I've never needed the compressor to run in any other car while heating. Is there a way to turn on the heat (via the steering wheel "A/C Auto" button or the Climate screen's "Auto" button - only ways I know how) without turning on the 'Darn' :evil: compressor??

I was able to turn off the back up beeper via a tricky little procedure I found somewhere on this forum; Does anyone know if there's a similar procedure to remove the "Compressor On" default whenever the climate control system is turned on?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
No, but you can turn off the compressor from the climate screen by pressing the A/C button until the yellow bar is gone.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The compressor is not only there to cool, but also to dehumidify. When temps approach the dew point, humidity approaches 100%. Usually the compressor would run at its lowest speed, and even start cycling on and off at that low speed when it is running only to dehumidify. As stated, you can disable the compressor from the Climate screen by manually turning off A/C so that the yellow bar underneath it is dimmed. The bar being lit doesn't mean that the compressor is actually running, but that it is available should the system decide it is needed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
KTPhil said:
No, but you can turn off the compressor from the climate screen by pressing the A/C button until the yellow bar is gone.
I dont think this is 100% true. I think as this is a "user customisable" function which only your dealer can set.... go figure!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
But (and I'm not taking sides now 8) ), my relationship with my alarm clock is such that I would not want to use it to turn the lights on and off either. :D
No kidding. It's bad enough that my alarm clock turns on the radio in the morning. I mean, I like BBC World Service as much as any normal person, but it's often quite a shock. And who put the alarm clock all the way over on the other side of the room? By the time I get up to shut it off, I'm awake! Oh, yah... I put it there. Must have had good reasonzzzzzzz....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
An04Prius said:
No kidding. It's bad enough that my alarm clock turns on the radio in the morning. I mean, I like BBC World Service as much as any normal person, but it's often quite a shock. And who put the alarm clock all the way over on the other side of the room? By the time I get up to shut it off, I'm awake! Oh, yah... I put it there. Must have had good reasonzzzzzzz....
Me, too! The same guy put your alarm clock all the way over there ? :shock:

Cept, I don hav to use it mch atall...retired :( :) :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
re-circ and outside circ

Not to complicate things, but you can make life easier by keeping the outside circ-in and modulating the inside temperature setting (just below outside temperature).

That's if you auto-set your alarm clock. My cub wakes me up. Because other cubs come along and turn the alarm to "off" --just for fun....let's watch Dad sleep in. :twisted:

Hep: coffee is auto-on at 6:45....do they make a coffee pot with a radio?

When cubs ride in the car....now old enough for front seat, they toggle first to KISS 108 high decibel, then to MAX HOT (it's only 48F outside temperature...perfectly comfortable).

When I toggle down to 68F, cubs say "Dad, you are so annoying!". When I toggle decibels down, they say "Dad, we're not deaf!" :p

All of which makes having this car a truly fun family adventure. But therapy bills are mounting. 8)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Victor said:
KTPhil said:
I dont think this is 100% true. I think as this is a "user customisable" function which only your dealer can set.... go figure!
It certainly does. You're thinking of the customizable feature that will reset the AC to ON when you set the HVAC to Auto. You can have the dealer set this so that AC does NOT turn back on when you set the HVAC to Auto. There's also another customizable feature to turn the compressor on when you use FRONT DEF. Doesn't say though if the FRONT DEF link would override the user's OFF setting of AC.

So, if HVAC is set normally, that is not on FRONT DEF, you can turn off the compressor from the climate screen on the MFD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts