Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from the dealer I'm working with today. I had originally put down a deposit on a silver AM package, with second choice white, and third choice Tideland Pearl. (I love that color, but I'm not sure that I can keep the ivory interior clean.)
Anyway, he says that he's got a line on a couple of Salsa Red, and one Tideland Pearl, all with package BI. The difference is that the BI doesn't have vehicle skid control, HID headlamps, or foglamps, but does have the smart entry and side and curtain air bags.
If I take the BI package, it will show up sometime the week before Christmas, allowing me to take the full federal tax advantage. The dealer has "no idea" how long I will have to wait for an AM package.
Anyone got any input about VSC and HID headlamps and foglamps? Like I said...decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the 'This isn't the car I really wanted, but Toyota doesn't care' club. As far as the foglight/HID option, you can always aftermarket those items. The side airbags are a nice safety feature that would be very difficult/expensive to add aftermarket. Depending on how aggressively you drive, the VSC may or may not be necessary, especially in California-unless you drive up into the mountains. You are correct about your tax deduction; if you don't have title by December 31st, you won't get 100%. One thing is certain; if you don't buy it, it'll be sold in less than 5 minutes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
i can undererstand the frustration of not getting what you want. I am waiting for the exact car I ordered and will not accept a subsituiton. What I would suggest is NOT let the tax deduction be the deciding issue for you. First of all the deduction is not disappearing. Its only reducing. The difference between this year and next year is minimal in actual dollars (remember its a deduction not credit). To me your peace of mind and happiness should be the determining factor. If you would be far happier with what you ordered then wait. If it makes little difference then go ahead and get now. But dont let the tax deduction be the deciding factor.

Good luck whatever you do!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not too sure if HID can be added without considerable cost. They use more power than conventional lights and sometimes require different wiring/fuses. They are an excellent option, especially in an area with a lot of deer. I feel a lot safer driving with mine because I can see things much better. Fog lights are nice if you drive in a lot of fog or snowy conditions. Snow is the culprit here and they do help. Too bad you can't get exactly what you want, but if you don't take the one they are getting, your wait may be REALLY long from all I have been reading. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lost out this time. Called back too late. The dealership has one Salsa Red still available, and I'm not really interested in that color. I could have happily lived with the BI package, though.
I did go for a test drive, and I liked it. Rear and side visibility takes some getting used to, but I'm sure it will be fine. I merged onto the crowded freeway going up hill on a short ramp, and the car had plenty of power to get me into traffic at speed.
Thanks to all for your input. It helps to bounce ideas around with people who understand this car.
So, I'll just wait for "the call," and hope it comes sooner than later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts