Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looking for a Prius in the Greensboro, NC area - avoid Rice Toyota of Greensboro!

After placing a $500 deposit in July on a seaside pearl package 9, I was told the wait time would be approx 2-6months as I was #21 on the list. When I emailed the dealership on Friday to see where I was currently on the list, I was told the wait time was now 18-24 months!!! I was told that the rep who had taken my order is no longer with the dealership and must have not understood the "pecking order"! The "pecking order" - sounds shady to me. This is the same dealership who the day before i went to the dealership put an ad on ebay saying they could get a Prius in 2-6 months and would only charge MSRP! Now I've wasted 2 months on this list when I could have been 2 months in on a shorter list by now. So the prospects for me finding a Prius soon are extremely thin! This dealership "prides it self on service" - boy they failed this time!
They ironically have, according to the toyota inventory site, the exact car I ordered due to come in on 9/20/04 - but its not mine!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
18-24 months!?!? What kind of dealership would even take orders that far out?! If you assume the high end (24 months) then we'll be seeing 2006 model Priuses by then. That's ordering TWO model years ahead. If they're willing to give you the 2004 sticker price on it, great; but who knows what's going to change by then? (Heck, Toyota may cancel the Prius altogether and have the Corolla and Camry hybrid by then.)

That's nuts. (Although I doubt you'd actually wait that long, as people would get sick of waiting and when their car came in, they'd cancel.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Webertim,

I thought that I was getting the runaround.
I ordered my Prius on Macrh 8th from John Elway Toyota in Englewood, Colorado, and I was told that the wait was 10~14 weeks. As of today, it has been 26 weeks. My dealer told me last Thursday that he doesn't know when I can expect to get it because they don't know what Toyota is sending them.
[email protected]$! :evil:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont know how they ended up lengthining the list. Toyota has upped the production of the prius. We are now expecting 2-3 a month up from our 1-2 in statesville. I believe that we are only at 9-10 on the list now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!!

Just wanted to update the situation. After ripping Rice Toyota and called around. I found 2 dealerships in NC that do not have wait lists. They are selling first come first serve. If you see it on their website as having it available on a certain date, there is a chance it has not yet been sold. I was able to find that at Toyota of Lake Norman in Huntersville, NC, should be able to pick up the car this weekend! So much for an 18-24 month wait.
And I was able to get the exact one I wanted - Package #9 - Seaside Pearl. So the next question is which bluetooth phone works best with the Prius on the cingular network?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not to say that that is incorrect, but did you double check that with a manager? I had a customer that went down there and was told that it was a 6 month wait. If they are first come first served, i would love to know. I have alot of customers that are still looking for one and dont want a huge wait. I have no problem sending them to another dealer to get the car faster than i can get it, as long as they only have to pay MSRP. Once you talk to them could you let me know?? Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
webertim: We've heard of dealers who sell this way. Most charge $5,000 over MSRP. Some folks are willing to pay that much to get their car now rather than in 6 months or a year. I have not seen any posts mentioning dealers who sell this way at MSRP. Any that do are likely to have 100 buyers showing up on their lot within minutes of the announcement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up my seaside pearl package 9 today! Only Paid MSRP plus taxes and normal fees. They will sell a prius once they know it's coming. So if they get word friday that they will receive a prius in 2 weeks, they will sell the car before it arrives. I have been told the individual sales persons have "call lists" but it is still first to call or show up at the dealer - first served. 2 dealerships have said this and both had the exact same car coming and were ready to sell at MSRP over the internet that day.
Toyota of Lake Norman (Huntersville, NC) - this dealership was awesome! and Toyota of Concord.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts